Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The big 4X thread (also unofficial patches + mods, also questions about these)

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by JarlFrank, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Zarniwoopgender: ⚧ Destiny Cleanser Patron

Zarniwoop
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Click here and disable ads!
    Poor trolls gonna troll. Poorly.

^ Top  
  2. DakaShagender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    if you dont add dune wars to the civ4 mod list im gonna suck my own dick

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. DakaShagender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    tindrli

I saw you posting in the ReStock mod thread on spaceempires.net.

I decided to get back into space empires because i remember loving it, apart from the shitty AI. Seems that restock is even better than TDM in this regard?

Anyways what AI bonuses do you play on for it to be as strong as you were claiming in that thread? Does it need bonuses even?

^ Top  
  4. tindrligender: ⚧ Arcane

tindrli
    Parrots:
    DakaSha
    i really dont remember givin AI any aditional bonuses, and i was struggling in Hard mode primary coz missiles arent weapons of choice any more coz AI is evading them very good and apart from that , shit they are even building drones now not to mention shitload of mines and shit. Orbital space construction yards seems to be obligatory as well, organic technology is not that superior any more >Diplomacy is not improved much but hell there is no space 4x that do diplomacy well anyway and i usualy play as xenophobic so i dont matter much. Just try the game on Hard and you should see a BIG improvment

^ Top  
  5. DakaShagender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    I was playing and having fun but the ai still does some extremely soul destroying shit like sending one undefended colony ship after another through warpgates that you have defended lol.

^ Top  
  6. tindrligender: ⚧ Arcane

tindrli
    Parrots:

yep. it does that.. just put shitload of mines there and forget about it

^ Top  
  7. Asherygender: ⚧ Prophet

Ashery
    Parrots:
    tindrli

A word of note on the SEIV mods:

Using the TDM you linked along with the classic version of the quadrant mod (I didn't want to download the image pack), I just finished debugging a few errors.

First, here:

\se4\TDM-ReModPack 1.1\Pictures\Races\Aquilaeian

In the Aquilaeian_AI_Construction_Facilities.txt file, in the queue type "Intelligence Compound" (A bit over half way down), the value immediately below the intelligence compound bit, "Num Queue Entries," should be 20, not 21.

Second, here:

\se4\TDM-ReModPack 1.1\Pictures\Races\Amonkrie

In the Amonkrie_AI_Politics.txt file, there are two errors. One is a missing value that should be immediately visible, "Propose Treaty First 50 Turns Modifier" is blank. I checked a handful of values and it appears that 10 is the most common, so I set it to that. The other error is a typo that should also be immediately in view, if not immediately apparent. I only noticed it when I copy/pasted the info into a word processor that had a spell checker. Under "Highest Allowed Treaty," there's a typo in "Trade and Reseach Alliance."

And now with those actually fixed, time to get back to my second game. Hopefully this one proves more challenging, as in my first game I was an eco whoring pacifist that sat comfortably in third place for the first half of the game until I went into an economic boom and my score was climbing at several times the rate of everyone else. By the time my score was high enough for everyone to wardec me based on my size alone, my growth rate was significantly higher than everyone else combined. All that was left was to fight a handful of large fights, lose a couple of far flung colonies that my fleets weren't near, and slowly grind out the AIs' planets. I'm considering giving up that game for good as I'm near the 500 planet mark and my turns are half an hour of grinding out fights.

^ Top  
  8. whatevernamegender: ⚧ Erudite

whatevername
    Parrots:
    SPAAAAAACE:

Stars! - It has win 3.1 grade graphics and some races are unplayable because they require a lot of micromanagement. Other than that it's pretty cool.

^ Top  
  9. odrzutgender: ⚧ Arbiter

odrzut
    Parrots:
    I'm playing Imperium Galactica thanks to this thread, and it's fun (and actually hard). They had choices & consequences like in TW - the psychological test results in firing you few days later if you got it wrong. I had to reload and redo that part of game 3 times to get it right. Also pathfinding in ground combat is worse than that of dragoons in sc1. Microing tanks is a must.

^ Top  
  10. Destroidgender: ⚧ Arcane

Destroid
    Parrots:
    Would you enjoy 4x games if they had the dwarf fortress save on quit, live with the consequences style of save? I think it could be good, although perhaps very frustrating at times.

^ Top  
  11. Dimgender: ⚧ Not sure if advertising plant?

Dim
    Parrots:
    dominions does already
    someone made a utility to circumvent

^ Top  
  12. Destroidgender: ⚧ Arcane

Destroid
    Parrots:
    Of course. No matter what the developer sets as default, the player can either use discipline or pretty simple workarounds. I believe the default setting will be what most people play with.

Funny, I didn't even notice it in Dominions 3, perhaps because I basically play all strategy games like this now.

^ Top  
  13. Jive Onegender: ⚧ Educated

Jive One
    Parrots:
    Has anyone played Civ2 Test of Time? Apparently it was a remake of the original Civ2 but included some graphics changes and an Alpha Centauri campaign. How did this stack up to the original Civ2 and does it work alright on modern systems? I've been wanting to play Civ2 badly for nostalgia purposes but unless I have the original cd(long gone) the music doesn't work.

^ Top  
  14. uaciautgender: ⚧ Learned

uaciaut
    Parrots:
    Figured i'd ask here too - what's the general consensus on Imperium Galactica 2? I remember playing it a long time ago and thinking it kicked ass. A lot of people seem to be praising Master of Orion 1/2 (not 3 for some reason) and Galactic Civ a lot, are they better/worse than IG2?

^ Top  
  15. J_Cgender: ⚧ One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    They are better than IG2, but IG2 is a pretty nice game too.

^ Top  
  16. uaciautgender: ⚧ Learned

uaciaut
    Parrots:
    Also i've heard a while back stuff about Sins of a Solar Empire, anyone had any experience with that?

^ Top  
  17. tulusegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It's not really a traditional 4x. It's more of a long RTS.

^ Top  
  18. Dimgender: ⚧ Not sure if advertising plant?

Dim
    Parrots:
    Master of Tactics Moo2 with some Galciv and SpaceE4 graphics. Free. Micromanagement free.

^ Top  
  19. Destroidgender: ⚧ Arcane

Destroid
    Parrots:
    Dim those graphics are so terrible it would be better if they weren't there.

^ Top  
  20. KoolNoodlesgender: ⚧ Arcane

KoolNoodles
    Parrots:
    With the expansions, right mods, and right settings(long jumps, distant stars, etc.) you can play SoSE kind of like a Paradox strategy game in space. Without the extra depth of course, but still fun. Multiplayer was also pretty good, though I assume the community is largely dead by now.

^ Top  
  21. Stefan Vujovicgender: ⚧ Educated

Stefan Vujovic
    Parrots:
    Since I am 4x fanatic here are some decent suggestions that i think haven't been mentioned :

Deadlock 1 & 2 :

Show Spoiler

http://www.gog.com/game/deadlock_planetary_conquest?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

http://www.gog.com/game/deadlock_2_shrine_wars?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

The difference between the two is minimal, Deadlock 2 would be more of an expansion pack with SP campaign, improved ai/interface, sea battles, more tech to research, etc. But there is one technical , newer interface has fixed (low) resolution, and the original game uses desktop controls so it might look cleaner on modern systems. The game is made by long gone Cyberlore studios, the same guys that made fantastic Majesty, so its oozing with charm. Imagine if all races would battle over a single province based planet on a smaller scale then what would a regular 4x game would be with all the 4x mechanics, and you get Deadlock.

For 5.99$ only, game is a steal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Tone rebelion :

Show Spoiler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tone_Rebellion

Really unique "quasi 4x" game, where the player choose one of four different type of Tone tribes to lead in interesting plot that runs throughout the game and unfolds with progress. Different tribes have different buildings to build, abilities, and spells to cast. The tone of the game is almost biblical in a sense that Tones are innocent creatures who are fighting over consuming evil force called Leviathan. Really unique plot and setting, and music is beyond epic. Highly recommended to at least try it for a few hours. Game of old as unique as this one are rarely seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lords of Magic :

Show Spoiler

http://www.gog.com/game/lords_of_magic_special_eddition?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

Interesting cross between homm and lords of the realm with diplomacy and mission system. Definitely worth a try, and for 5.99$ you get both original game and special edition expansion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might edit post and add more later, if i remember a few other unique ones...

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. tindrligender: ⚧ Arcane

tindrli
    Parrots:

never heard of first two that you mentioned... will try

^ Top  
  23. fastjackgender: ⚧ Augur

fastjack
    Parrots:
    If you or anyone else could offer some brief descriptions of these games I'd be very grateful. The first one especially looks interesting. I am most interested in their general quality and which unique characteristics their gameplay possesses.

edit: just to be clear since you did provide some brief descriptions, are these games fun? How do they compare to the staples like MoO2, civ, or MoM?

^ Top  
  24. Asherygender: ⚧ Prophet

Ashery
    Parrots:
    Lords of Magic looks good on paper and I remember enjoying the demo way back in the day, but the combat is, unfortunately, terrible. It pretty much requires you to game the mechanics and I no longer enjoy games that require the player to play in that manner.

It's been a while since I've played the Deadlock games, but I remember enjoying them.

^ Top  
  25. Zewpgender: ⚧ Arcane

Zewp
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013
    Lords of Magic had realtime combat if I remember correctly. I played it as a child and loved it, but I was easily impressed back then.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)