Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Best Video Game

• Thread starter Farewell into the night
  • Start date

Nathir

Liturgist
Guilty Gear AC+R.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, since I only can name one, I may not name Vagrant Story for Playstation, which is actually on par with my pick here: Gothic.

There are many reasons for this pick, but the main one is the incredibly dense atmosphere, the feeling of being lost in this dangerous world, the relief as soon as you enter civilized territory, the roughness of the world and the chars.
It's just wonderful!

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Hard to choose between Arcanum or AOE 2.

Maybe TW: MEDIEVAL 2 aswell, I probably put 5000 hours into that game as a teen killing rag heads.

Victoria 1/2 aswell.

OT- dunno, one of the above

Abhay

Augur
The BEST video games that I love to replay often:

Mafia 1 / Max Payne 1 / Deus Ex 1 - Absolute masterpieces. A very rare instance where the game deserves a perfect 10/10 score. These games lack flaws.

GTA SA - The best open world set in multiple cities with the best story from Rockstar developers. There are tons of mods to further enhance the players experience. No other GTA in the series (except GTA 2) has impressed me other than GTA SA.

deltamind

Literate
GTA San Andreas and Max Payne 1. I don't think I have kept a track record of the hours I played these games, finishing it and then restarting it all over again :P

Hevnknekt

Educated
My life thus far can be divided into two parts: Pre-ELEX, and Post-ELEX.

During the Pre-ELEX part of my life, I would probably not have chosen ELEX as #1.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
This elex meme... I already downloaded and installed it like 3 times, and every time couldn't bring myself to even launch it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Daikatana
214697049_8rue7-L-2.jpg

Penny Arcade, 1999 +M

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Turrican II

I actually bought it as a kid, i felt bad that i had that much fun with a copy and wanted to have an original version (no joke.... on the amiga, a platform where 90% of ppl played copied games)...
So i bought a copy bundled with a Joystick, the Joystick died within a week of playing Turrican 2.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Alpha Centauri. Played it as a kid, enjoyed the shit out of it. Played it recently, still enjoyed the shit out of it. Almost didn't finish a project because I was having so much fun with it. I'd say it's easily the GoAT game. All this pop-a-mole bullshit you motherfuckers are spouting. Really, Warband!? Clueless faggots.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Star Control 2.

No reason needed, it's its own reason. Like Denny Crane.

Falksi

Arcane
Seriously dudes, Super Mario World was IMHO the pinnacle of game design. I don't think any other game marries accessability with depth so utterly superbly, alongside being playable beyond belief, very fair, and constantly throwing new things & surprises at you.

It's so ridiculously easy to get into, yet enough of a challenge to make mastering it fun, and there's a constant stimulus of discovery & challenge throughout. Not to mention great aesthetics which tie in with the game's vibe absolutely bang on.

The only real weak point of the game is the easy bosses, but other than that I think it nails it.

Master

Arbiter
Max Payne 2 (with Payne effects mod). I usualy dont feel much of anything for videogame characters but Max is just so damn cool.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Seriously dudes, Super Mario World was IMHO the pinnacle of game design. I don't think any other game marries accessability with depth so utterly superbly, alongside being playable beyond belief, very fair, and constantly throwing new things & surprises at you.

It's so ridiculously easy to get into, yet enough of a challenge to make mastering it fun, and there's a constant stimulus of discovery & challenge throughout. Not to mention great aesthetics which tie in with the game's vibe absolutely bang on.

The only real weak point of the game is the easy bosses, but other than that I think it nails it.

I've always been torn between Mario world and Mario bro's 3 as my favorite one.

They're easily my favorite snes/nes games, maybe even my favorite console games. The fact is they're still linear sidescrollers though, as much time as I spent playing them as a kid it's nothing compared to the time I put into either fallout 2 or arcanum replays trying all the different shit you could do in those games.

Jamma

Novice
The BEST video games that I love to replay often:

Mafia 1

Replayed it two years ago. The open world is pointless for the most part. The cars are also super bad. I had to ditch a car to get to a mission that was on the top of a hill, because it couldn't handle the 30 degree climb. It a great game in many ways, but terribly flawed in others.

Falksi

Arcane

I've always been torn between Mario world and Mario bro's 3 as my favorite one.

They're easily my favorite snes/nes games, maybe even my favorite console games. The fact is they're still linear sidescrollers though, as much time as I spent playing them as a kid it's nothing compared to the time I put into either fallout 2 or arcanum replays trying all the different shit you could do in those games.

Course, but whilst the likes of Arcanum especially are a pain in the arse to get into, SMW/3 are pick up & play. Arcanum has the depth, but not the accessibility, whereas the Mario games have both.

I just think that anyone can play & thrive on the Mario games, whereas deep RPG's are really only for intelligent or at least more complex folk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom