Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale Trilogy - remaster by Krome Studios

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
What's considered to be a good time/level to change your mage's class?
Make sure your spellcasters have learned all their class spells as changing to another school is a no way back choice.

Gord

Arcane
So it's condidered best to fully progress through a class and switch only then, in other words, after reaching character lvl 14 or such?

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
MY ENTIRE PARTY GOT POISONED FROM A TRAP! IT COSTS LIKE 800GP TO HEAL JUST ONE DUDE?!!? WHAT IS THIS SHIT?!?

This is where you are grateful for quicksave and save slots.

Back in the day, the only place you could save was at the AG. Believe me, this version is massive easy mode compared to how it was originally. Save often, load scummy.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Gregz, what determines a rogue's ability to detect traps? Just his or her level or does DEX or INT help at all?

I think it's just level. Of course, it's really 'points granted to disarm skill' upon leveling, so there's a pretty wide potential variance even at a given level. In the original version, you were better off using the trap spell instead. (And rogues sucked until BT2/3, if I remember correctly)

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gregz, what determines a rogue's ability to detect traps? Just his or her level or does DEX or INT help at all?
I think it's just level. Of course, it's really 'points granted to disarm skill' upon leveling, so there's a pretty wide potential variance even at a given level. In the original version, you were better off using the trap spell instead. (And rogues sucked until BT2/3, if I remember correctly)
Out of curiosity I looked it up in the manuals, and the one for the first game has no mention of stats affecting disarm rolls, while the one for the third explicitly states that it's influenced by Dex. I guess it depends on which game the remasters are based on, as the mechanics have been unified across all three now. It's true what you say, though, that the spell was the better option in the original. It probably still is.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

To quote from an old post (slightly editied) of mine:

In general I recommend developing Sorcerers, Wizards and Archmages ASAP. Start with base Conjurer or Magician class, then change to Sorcerer at level 7/spell level 3, and if possible switch back to the other base class after having gained the Sorcerer and Wizard lvl 7 spells. Gaining levels in the base classes is much faster than for the advenced classes, and current class level determines initiative (I'm fairly certain) and saving throws.
There are some differences between the games; no Archmage class in BT1, for example, so this is general advice.

Recommende parties:

BT1-2:
Paladin
Monk Hunter (assuming the Critical Hit bug is fixed).
Bard
Conjurer
Magician
Conjurer/Magician

Turn one mage into Archmage (learn all the spells), one into master Sorceror ASAP and the third into master Wizard ASAP.
In BT1 have them all end their careers in the opposite base class of that which they started in.
In BT2 the Archmage is a class.

You don't really need a Rogue, since the Hunter is a better killer and mages can just cast the cheap TRAPZAP spell at no risk.
EDIT: Although the Rogue's ability to Hide and attack monster that are far away should be quite useful at times.

Last edited:

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

You don't really need a Rogue, since the Hunter is a better killer and mages can just cast the cheap TRAPZAP spell at no risk.
EDIT: Although the Rogue's ability to Hide and attack monster that are far away should be quite useful at times.

Remembering one of my old battles in BT 3, my front line was battling hordes of creatures near me while the boss was sitting in the back laughing at me.
My rogue slowly crept up to him in the shadows though and took him out with a critical hit. The satisfaction was immense... I hope to experience this again.

Dehumanizer

Educated
Do you guys save scum when levelling up your characters?

Nope. Never did so back then (and not just because I played the first game from cassette tape and it would have taken several minutes to do so :) ), wouldn't do it now.

It could be justified (though I, myself, wouldn't do it anyway) in Wizardry, especially in the DOS versions, where stats seemed to have as much chance of going down as of going up. In BT they only go up, so even if you don't get the stat you want the most for a character right now, you will still eventually end up with all 18s for everyone. Same with hit points: getting just one extra HP when leveling up may be frustrating once in a while, but it will even out in the end.

slymer

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do you guys save scum when levelling up your characters?

Nope. Never did so back then (and not just because I played the first game from cassette tape and it would have taken several minutes to do so :) ), wouldn't do it now.

It could be justified (though I, myself, wouldn't do it anyway) in Wizardry, especially in the DOS versions, where stats seemed to have as much chance of going down as of going up. In BT they only go up, so even if you don't get the stat you want the most for a character right now, you will still eventually end up with all 18s for everyone. Same with hit points: getting just one extra HP when leveling up may be frustrating once in a while, but it will even out in the end.

ok, good to know. I won't worry about my level up stats then.

Dedup

Augur
I noticed that the rogue has an Identify skill. I'm guessing it's for unidentified items but I can't seem to figure out how it works.

Dehumanizer

Educated
I noticed that the rogue has an Identify skill. I'm guessing it's for unidentified items but I can't seem to figure out how it works.

From what I've seen in the Steam discussions, it's not working yet. Thieves couldn't identify items in the original BT1 (in fact, they were mostly useless), but they've added some BT3 abilities to them in the remaster (such as critical hits), but apparently they still need some patching (besides identifying, in BT3 thieves could attack when hidden even in positions 5-7, but currently they can do so only from the front positions). Hopefully it'll be patched, in the future.

Dehumanizer

Educated
By the way, in the Mad God's temple, try saying that his name is "Burger". :)

AFAIK, only the IIGS version of BT1 included that "feature" (it's also in all BT3 versions, I think), so I guess they used it as a baseline.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Imagine buying a Fargo product, that doesn't feel like a scam.

I like the graphics more and more, they are charming and feel right for this kind of remake. They don't venture too far into the direction of Ukrainian hidden object games or Russian ultra detailed chrome.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom