Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale Trilogy - remaster by Krome Studios

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I need to calm down - getting all excited. I can't imagine anything that would be better than this in 2016

Kersey

Educated
From today's Burgerbecky Twitch stream:

szAW4hK.png

CVbxOJ3.png

New UI art is quite high resolution and icons are animeted.

JNpD0Tm.png

a2GeTW5.png

I couldn't watch the whole stream and missed Q&A. But it seems like release is pretty close...

That's some weird shit there with the aspect ratios changing from screen to screen. I wonder what the finished game will be using.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Randomized aspect ratios and color schemes, changing after every battle

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
That's some weird shit there with the aspect ratios changing from screen to screen. I wonder what the finished game will be using.

It's becuase Becky changed the window size several time during the stream. AFAIK basically it will be using the original aspect ratio.

Jeremy Kapp

Literate
I always thought it would be cool to combine all three games. Complete bt1, then exit into the wilderness of bt2, complete bt2, then return to a destroyed Skara Brae for the bt3 portion.

This could be a campaign mode...

Last edited:

Jeremy Kapp

Literate
I've been using Photoshop to change dithering dots into shades of color. This makes the C64 art look better. I always liked the intro animations at the beginning of BT1 and 2. There's just something great about that C64 art...

c64_zpscckqpzix.gif
TOTU_zpsswnwwlgf.png

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've been using Photoshop to change dithering dots into shades of color. This makes the C64 art look better. I always liked the intro animations at the beginning of BT1 and 2. There's just something great about that C64 art...

c64_zpscckqpzix.gif
TOTU_zpsswnwwlgf.png
Could you add some shading to that? I mean not having the purple be solid purple but have tonality? It is like the recolored version of older comic books like Sandman

Jeremy Kapp

Literate
This was just an experiment. I am doing the same work on the BT1 box art map of Skara Brae. It should be the most HD version of that map available. It's 9mb as a png image right now.

Electryon

Savant
Games from this era/genre will pretty much lose half their mystique with an automap. There aren't an overabundance of them to begin with. Wizardry 1-6, Might and Magic 1-2, Dungeon Master/Chaos Strikes Back, Eye of the Beholder, and the Bard's Tale Trilogy and Dragon Wars. There really aren't THAT many games in the history of RPGs that you absolutely HAD to map, relatively speaking. The new UI actually looks alot like Devil Whiskey, ironically enough....

Darkzone

Arcane
Games from this era/genre will pretty much lose half their mystique with an automap. There aren't an overabundance of them to begin with. Wizardry 1-6, Might and Magic 1-2, Dungeon Master/Chaos Strikes Back, Eye of the Beholder, and the Bard's Tale Trilogy and Dragon Wars. There really aren't THAT many games in the history of RPGs that you absolutely HAD to map, relatively speaking. The new UI actually looks alot like Devil Whiskey, ironically enough....
Bard's Tale III and Dragon Wars have / had an automap.

Electryon

Savant
Bard's Tale III and Dragon Wars have / had an automap.

I stand corrected on those, thank you. Idk....there isn't anything inherently WRONG with putting in a map in all the Bard's Tale remasters (and the fact that there is one in Bard's Tale 3 and Dragon Wars is probably why this isn't so hard to implement). It's just that games that MUST be mapped (or in which maps might must at least be consulted in a guide of some sort) have that element built into their DNA. I've never manged to (and probably will never do so) but actually mapping and completing Wizardry IV would probably be the most impressive achievement any RPG fan could ever hope to achieve. It is still impressive (but much less so) if you were to complete it on the Playstation, where an automap was implemented.

Jeremy Kapp

Literate
I hope this picture isn't too big, if it is I'll remove it.
This is my touched up HD version of the Bard's Tale Skara Brae Map, for those who want a clean hi-res version.
*P.S. Please remove the first post as the host url has changed*
SkaraBrae%20HD_zpschwmfitm.png~original

Darkzone

Arcane
I stand corrected on those, thank you. Idk....there isn't anything inherently WRONG with putting in a map in all the Bard's Tale remasters (and the fact that there is one in Bard's Tale 3 and Dragon Wars is probably why this isn't so hard to implement). It's just that games that MUST be mapped (or in which maps might must at least be consulted in a guide of some sort) have that element built into their DNA. I've never manged to (and probably will never do so) but actually mapping and completing Wizardry IV would probably be the most impressive achievement any RPG fan could ever hope to achieve. It is still impressive (but much less so) if you were to complete it on the Playstation, where an automap was implemented.
Bard's Tale I had the constraints that imposed to draw a map of the game on sheet paper, but Bard's Tale III was to large for this and in Dragon Wars the automap looked nice at that time. Naturally the automapping took a certain element from explorative games, but that is live and most people wouldn't draw a map nowadays.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Bard's Tale I had the constraints that imposed to draw a map of the game on sheet paper, but Bard's Tale III was to large for this

No, it wasn't. And the penultimate dungeon was fun to map.

and in Dragon Wars the automap looked nice at that time.

Probably the best automap in any CRPG when it was released.

Darkzone

Arcane
Bard's Tale I had the constraints that imposed to draw a map of the game on sheet paper, but Bard's Tale III was to large for this

Did you map the entire dungeons in BTIII? I loved the automap in DW but i don't know if it was the best, when it was released. I certainly looks nice today and is still very functional.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Did you map the entire dungeons in BTIII? I loved the automap in DW but i don't know if it was the best, when it was released. I certainly looks nice today and is still very functional.

Yes, I mapped everything. I found the level design to improve throughout the game, peaking at the penultimate dungeon, which was a good mapping challenge. Mapping is part of the Bard's Tale experience, IMO.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
LESS T_T This flew under our radar!

The Bard's Tale Remastered - Beta Now Available
Post by sear » March 15th, 2016, 3:48 am

Hello all,

Today we are happy to debut the first beta release of The Bard's Tale I-III Classic Trilogy Remastered (or BT Remastered for short). We have previously worked with our community to great effect when it comes to launching beta versions of our games, and now we are doing it again to give our most hardcore fans an early taste of the BT Remastered series which Old Skuul is working on.

To access the BT Remastered beta release, visit the Bard's Tale backer web site and then go to your Rewards page. From there, look for your reward package which includes BT Remastered, and click the "Downloads" button to the right-hand side of the reward listing. You will see a button labeled "Beta 1.00" - click it to begin downloading.

As mentioned, this is a beta release, so you will encounter bugs. Currently, only Bard's Tale I is playable, and only on Windows, though we will be rolling out the other two games as well as OS X support in future versions.

Bug Reporting
Both we and Old Skuul would greatly appreciate any bug reports you can provide. You are welcome to post them in this thread as a reply or make a new thread in this forum section.

When doing so, please state the problem and desired behavior clearly, including specific steps to reproduce the bug and screenshots or videos if possible. Bug reports will be sent directly to Old SKuul for review and processing, so the more detail we get, the better.

Known Issues
  • It is currently not possible to switch to BTII and BTIII. This feature is coming in future updates.
  • Holding down a movement key will cause movement to be queued up forever. As a work-around, please tap the arrow keys to move.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Thanks for posting.

Cool - seems to be a huge upgrade on the crappy PC version I was recently playing. I like it is in a window - allowed me to google up all the spell names.

sstacks

Arcane
I'm interviewing Burger Becky Heineman (Interplay co-founder and Old Skuul CEO) on the show today and will see if I can get some new details on the current status of the Bard's Tale remastered she is doing for inXile.

Infinitron

If anyone wants to listen live, it will be at 11 AM Pacific / 1 PM Central TODAY (Saturday, Oct 22). You can listen online via the big "Listen Live" button at http://www.faithtalk995.com/

I'll post the podcast version a few days after the fact over at the Shane Plays LPs and Interviews forum thread.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'm interviewing Burger Becky Heineman (Interplay co-founder and Old Skuul CEO) on the show today and will see if I can get some new details on the current status of the Bard's Tale remastered she is doing for inXile.

Will you ask about Dragons of the Rip (new RPG from Olde Skuul that was announced some time ago but seemingly halted)?

sstacks

Arcane

Will you ask about Dragons of the Rip (new RPG from Olde Skuul that was announced some time ago but seemingly halted)?

Yep.

tindrli

Arcane
Its not my wish to insult anybody but i would really really like to know what is her favorite posture and does she like anal sex.kinda dubt that she would share it with us but still i need to say it and i mean it for real

Ok i got the picture.. Just wanted to know..nevermind. I will patiently wait that podcast

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom