Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

SophosTheWise

Cipher
UPDATE - Released: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-bards-tale-iv-barrows-deep-out-now.123953/

The last couple of years have been pretty good to inXile Entertainment. Wasteland 2 earned nearly $3 million on Kickstarter and was recently released to solid reviews; Torment: Tides of Numenera pulled in more than $4 million and will hopefully be even better. And now the studio says it's begun work on yet another RPG that fans have been clamoring for.

You already know this if you receive (and pay attention to) Wasteland 2 backer emails, although in truth there's not a whole lot to know. "Along with continued tuning of Wasteland 2, myself and a few others at the studio are beginning to work on another RPG that has been passionately demanded of us for a while now!" Wasteland 2 Project Lead Chris Keenan teased. "It’s still quite early in the process, but we will have more news on that in the New Year."

Full article:
http://www.pcgamer.com/inxile-entertainment-teases-yet-another-passionately-demanded-rpg/

Soooo.... Another Bard's Tale then?

Last edited by a moderator:

cjbulanda

Literate
InExile seem to be working rather quickly. How big is their team again?

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
The Bard's Tale? Passionately demanded?

I missed that meeting. If someone had said "The only ip Fargo has left that might drum up a bit of name recognition so he can pump out a game that falls flat on the hype it receives over two years.", then I might have guessed it.

cjbulanda

Literate

I missed that meeting. If someone had said "The only ip Fargo has left that might drum up a bit of name recognition so he can pump out a game that falls flat on the hype it receives over two years.", then I might have guessed it.

Wasteland 2 didnt flop, and i assume torment will do the same.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

I didn't say it flopped, I said it fell flat on the hype it received. I fully accept that nothing lives up to it's hype, but it's not even really a worthy contender.. it's an 'ok' game but 'ok' wasn't really what anyone was expecting. It gets a 'pass', but only just, there a lot wrong, or just plain boring about it.

SophosTheWise

Cipher

I didn't say it flopped, I said it fell flat on the hype it received. I fully accept that nothing lives up to it's hype, but it's not even really a worthy contender.. it's an 'ok' game but 'ok' wasn't really what anyone was expecting. It gets a 'pass', but only just, there a lot wrong, or just plain boring about it.

I think it's also possibly because of the Early Access. If they wouldn't have done that, the release of the game would habe been much more of an "event". The way it was released was like "Oh, well now it's released. Cool" This Early Access stuff is just building up to an anticlimactic release. Every damn time.

InExile seem to be working rather quickly. How big is their team again?
I have no idea, but when the Torment kickstarter was released there was a lot of criticism because they hadn't done Wasteland 2 yet. Fargo's answer was that a big part of the team was done with their work and currently idle - and thus perfectly able to start another project. Maybe it's the same thing now.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
I think it's also possibly because of the Early Access. If they wouldn't have done that, the release of the game would habe been much more of an "event". The way it was released was like "Oh, well now it's released. Cool" This Early Access stuff is just building up to an anticlimactic release. Every damn time.

I would accept this up to a point, if the hype had been the only issue, but the game itself as an actual game it's.. 'ok' is the best thing I can say about it. I have more complaints than praise for it. I'm not keen on the system, the story is a bit 'meh'.. but I like the artwork and presentation. It's not 'horrible' it's just not 'really good', which is what I think people were, at the least, expecting considering it was Brian's own project and he had free rein.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
if i recall correctly, fargo made it clear back then that he has zero interest in blobbers, so even if it happened to not suck monkey balls, it would still at best be another infinity engineesque party rpg like t2 and wl2, not an actual bt sequel.
imo him not trying to make another bt sequel would be redemption enough...

cjbulanda

Literate

I dont understand why people dont like W2 so much. Yeah it's not an amazing perfect game but its better than "ok"

SophosTheWise

Cipher
if i recall correctly, fargo made it clear back then that he has zero interest in blobbers, so even if it happened to not suck monkey balls, it would still at best be another infinity engineesque party rpg like t2 and wl2, not an actual bt sequel.
imo him not trying to make another bt sequel would be redemption enough...
I don't think you have to be exactly true to the vision of an old game. BT was a blobber, yes, but there's myriads of ways how you could still make an amazing game in its spirit. But I see where you're coming from.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah it's not an amazing perfect game but its better than "ok"
i've played until you return to titan canyon, choosing ag center over highpool... ag center felt like a chore.
then i started a new game, this time picking highpool over ag center. stopped playing after i started the destroyed ag center, as it felt even more like a chore.
that was way back in the beta. game's been out for quite a while now, and i literally cannot bring myself to play it, because there are so many things i would rather do than play it.
i have wasted nearly twice the amount of time i pumped into wl2 into testing shit in dead state, and i can still play that just fine, but even thinking of firing up wl2 or typing this response triggers an unpleasant feeling paired with a mild avoidance response... so while i might not be able to articulate just exactly what is wrong with the game (besides ag center being annoying as hell, and most of the first half of the game feeling more like a chore than a fun game for me), it clearly isn't better than "ok".

i just hope torment will turn out better.
I don't think you have to be exactly true to the vision of an old game. BT was a blobber, yes, but there's myriads of ways how you could still make an amazing game in its spirit. But I see where you're coming from.
the thing is, if you aren't making a blobber, why call it bard's tale and get people's hopes up?

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Either InXile or Obsidian need to give us an SF rpg.

We need more SF RPGS in general, but I think the way it works is that ideas are run into the ground as much as possible before moving on to the next one. We haven't even gotten out of the 'elfs and dwarfs' stage yet, and that's been groaning on and on forever to the point that I'll gouge my eyes out if I see another pointy ear. (Vulcans not withstanding)

I do have an exception to this though Shadowrun, I can accept them there because of the Cyberpunk setting, but fantasy can just die.

I'd love a supernatural RPG, like something based on the PnP Call Of Cthulhu or similar, but with production values.. actually as long as it's in the least competent I'm not sure how much 'obvious' production values would even matter as long as the writers can tell a story and it has a fairly indepth system, not just for combat through. EDIT.. and it must be top down isometric.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Yeah it's not an amazing perfect game but its better than "ok"
the thing is, if you aren't making a blobber, why call it bard's tale and get people's hopes up?

Because Skara Brae? :happytrollboy:

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd love a supernatural RPG, like something based on the PnP Call Of Cthulhu or similar, but with production values.. actually as long as it's in the least competent I'm not sure how much 'obvious' production values would even matter as long as the writers can tell a story and it has a fairly indepth system, not just for combat through.

I definitely can see that being pulled off.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
I'd love a supernatural RPG, like something based on the PnP Call Of Cthulhu or similar, but with production values.. actually as long as it's in the least competent I'm not sure how much 'obvious' production values would even matter as long as the writers can tell a story and it has a fairly indepth system, not just for combat through.

I definitely can see that being pulled off.

One can but wish...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom