Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Where did the intern whom was in charge of the manual disappear ?

Oh, wait, was the intern in charge of the whole game ?

Was sea in charge of this too? If I remember correctly he was in charge of the W2 one, maybe of the Torment one too and they were a mess as well. Going by the design and the design of the UI too it feels like yet another of his hack-jobs.

Never forget, the first version of the W2 manual had this gem in:
Wasteland 2 would not have happened WITH you...

Shadenuat

Arcane
Example of one of later puzzles in first dungeon

To open door you need to put 3 things into lock
one like sun
one like evening sky
one okay basically one red

can be anything right?

near door there are 3 bottles.

and 3 fountains.
1 fountain has red ink.
1 has blue ink.
last has yellow ink.

I hope you are following me because that was harder than painting car in Putt Putt Goes to Moon, although at least Putt Putt games had better graphics.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If you're using the game's Temporal AA then I just found out you don't need to enable ReShade, instead you can use UE4's built-in sharpener settings:

- Add the following to the Engine.ini under the [SystemSettings]

r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1.25 ; game default = 0
r.TemporalAASharpness=1.25 ; game default = 0

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I have played a few hours now and have an early impression. The game is ok for people that don't care about graphics. It runs fine on medium/high setting on my gtx580. The loading times are on the long side,around a minute for a big map. The game have some really retarded decisions like the inventory being worst than the inventories from 30 years ago. You can't sort it by type or value,you also can't auto sort to fill empty spaces,you have to do it manually.
The save system is pretty pointless and retarded ,it is checkpoint system with pylons. Destroying the pylons give you insignificant amount of exp,like the exp from a single enemy. Another retardation is that you can't use the same pylon twice in a row,you have to travel to another one to save. I pretty much hate any checkpoint save systems,it is fucking 2018,i don't have time to wast running around the map searching for a save point,people have shit to do with their time,most of us are not kids any more!
The combat system is....flawed but serviceable. One of the major flaws is how you are restricted to only four useable skills per person,it really kills the diversity of battle. Also the collective action points per turn is not very well implemented,they should have made at least a one free movement point. Another flaw i noticed is how fucked the class balance is fucked. The fucking warrior is totally useless in my party,his attacks do like 4 damage . It is really bad,you just spam your rogues skillz and maybe use the fighter as tank,which is the worst game cliche. Still the biggest problem is the only 4 skillz.:decline:
The writing is pretty meh,good thing that you can just ignore it. In my two hours i already met all the big words like bigots,racists,progress and diversity :lol:. Still it is totally ignorable,you just spam continue and click all the dialogue options to see if there is a quest. Total waste of voice acting,i have only finished listening to one dialogue till now. The dialogue is you click a question,then the npc answer it with two-three sentences and you call it a day.
The singing and the voice acting are ok,still the placement is retarded. The singing is place in places where you spend 5 seconds looting shit and ignore it. Really really bad placement!

Exploration is where the game shines,that is if you can manage to see the place you are supposed to interact,because of how bad the graphics are. Here find the secret brick that you have to push:
3331.png

And this on high texture details and rest on medium. Those are graphics from PS one time period. How the fuck this shit could chock on gtx1080 is beyond me.

Still the exploration is fun,there is a lot of things to find. Also i have no idea where those retarded reviewers saw a lot of puzzles. Most of them are 5 seconds of work. You must be challenged to see them as puzzles. And until now i haven't seen many. Still the offering shit is beyond me,there is a half assed riddle and you have to guess it ...maybe? I just ignore them.

Also a few annoying UI things i noticed. Like looted boxes still shining blue and being able to open,or how you have to click on a button to open the world exploration songs when then could have just fitted on the screen.

This is for now,if anyone knows the offering answers could tell me ;).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

That'd be Zyklon Beekers. Probably he is busy doing his janitor shift.

Was sea in charge of this too? If I remember correctly he was in charge of the W2 one, maybe of the Torment one too and they were a mess as well. Going by the design and the design of the UI too it feels like yet another of his hack-jobs.

Never forget, the first version of the W2 manual had this gem in:
Wasteland 2 would not have happened WITH you...

Beekers is the creative producer and sea is the systems designer on Wasteland 3. Along with Ziets, they're inXile's last best hope.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
fantadomat you need to set the texture quality to 3 in the gameusersettings.ini and set the file to read-only. using the default option buttons in the game menu is glitched.

for the pop-in / lod issues you need to insert the settings i detailed in the engine.ini. these ini files are inside appdata\bardstale4\saved\config\windowsnoeditor folder.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Game isn't a complete disaster for the few hours I've played but the lament of the UE4 engine as it sobs quietly at its complete mishandeling makes me sad.

Nyast

Cipher
Actually I find the game to be beautiful in many places. Not the starting town - that's easily the worst area so far. But the dungeons, they have some really good looking places. Of course, I'm playing on ultra for textures on a 1070 GTX, and I have a decent performance too ( 50-60 fps ) so that helps.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
So I've been playing this and just finished the sewers. I gotta say I really don't like the combat, I don't enjoy it, and I don't like the char dev, I don't like the skill trees and I don't like the itemization. The best thing the game offers is the exploration of the environments. I don't think I'll keep playing for now, and instead gonna resume DQ11 playthrough.

I wish I had something more insightful to say other than "I don't enjoy it" but that's all I got, I just don't find the combat satisfying. DQ11 has much, much better combat. It's pretty unbelievable that that sentence is being typed, but there it is. If you want to play a good modern blobber go play one of the Elminage games, preferably Elminage: Gothic.

EDIT: If the game had come out during one of the RPG droughts then it would be a different story. I'll probably play a few more hours just to be able to judge it more accurately. It is enjoyable to explore the "dungeons", and I'll use the grid-based movement update as an excuse to come back and judge it more fully.

Last edited:

Lord Andre

Arcane
Game isn't a complete disaster for the few hours I've played but the lament of the UE4 engine as it sobs quietly at its complete mishandeling makes me sad.

Ups, just lost all items in my inventory out of the blue before entering a fight. Fight is over but my inventory is still empty. Last save point was almost 2 hours ago.

I guess game is unplayable, 0/10 piece of shit I hope Inxile burns to the ground. Rot in hell Fargo and every retarded pond scum programmer that worked on this trainwreck piece of diseased pigspit. Suck a bag of dicks. Die.

Curratum

Ups, just lost all items in my inventory out of the blue before entering a fight. Fight is over but my inventory is still empty. Last save point was almost 2 hours ago.

I guess game is unplayable, 0/10 piece of shit I hope Inxile burns to the ground. Rot in hell Fargo and every retarded pond scum programmer that worked on this trainwreck piece of diseased pigspit. Suck a bag of dicks. Die.

Ok, that does it. I'm not touching that piece of shit until they hit their roadmap patch 3 whenever the fuck that is.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i gotta say i also like how you have to heal yourself back to max hp when you put on new items with +constitution

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom