Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - now in ALPHA - coming Q3 2018

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by SophosTheWise, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Well ... Wasteland 2, Torment Numenera, Bard's Tale IV, and Wasteland 3 all succeeded. To judge by the forums, the classic fans are slowly becoming disillusioned ... but they're backing anyway :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    All of those Kickstarters pretty much happened before the sentiment turned, unless I'm missing something?

W3 was close, but BT4 was still in the honeymoon period. I remember, because I was still pretty optimistic about it.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Parrots:
    Pretty much, at BT4 kickstarter I still had hope, but when they did W3 I noped out. I just hope the game is somewhat fun, at this point I don't expect a competent blobber with cool dungeons or complex party building

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Agree with all that, was just refuting Saxon1974's "only one shot". Nostalgia addicts don't learn from their mistakes any quicker than the rest of humanity.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    I dunno, I enjoyed Wasteland 2. I haven't kept up at all with Wasteland 3 news but I don't see how they can fuck it up other than radically changing it completely (like, for example, not making it party-based and/or turn-based).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 5
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    Become turnt in the new turn-based game where you play as the skilled warrior Based-in-Turns on a quest to destroy an evil Base based in the Turn Kingdom armed only with a turning basilard as seek to destroy the Based One basing innocent bases.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Saxon1974 Cipher

Saxon1974
    Parrots:
    I meant more specifically nostalgia Kickstarter as a whole; at least for me. Didn't play numanera but I liked W-2 enough to keep backing inxile. If Bards Tale 4 is a slap in the face to the old games I'm probably done with inxile KS's

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Understandable. Personally I think people need to really start reading what kickstarters are pitching, especially when nostalgia bias is involved. Everybody flipped out when BT4 combat turned out so different from the originals, but if you read the pitch this is exactly what they described they were going to do. A lot of grogs just saw "Bard's Tale", stopped reading, checked their brains at the door and threw money. Whose fault is that?

Not talking about anyone in particular :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Saxon1974 Cipher

Saxon1974
    Parrots:
    Oh yea your right. It's why I didn't back Garriots shame of the avatar; I could see easily the focus was not single player RPG.

I did back BT4 though and im kind of skeptical from what I have seen. I remember them saying phased based combat. I need to look into what they have done a bit more, I have seen the spacing blue grid and not sure what to think.

^ Top  
  11. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    If you haven't seen the alpha/demo yet, I did a run-through. The combat is nothing like the original series for sure ... but I think it will be a good game. I'm honestly looking forward to playing it. fwiw

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
    ^ Top  
  13. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    BT4 campaign was quite open from the start that game is going to be heavily modernized, so I don't' get all the sudden butthurt in this thread. It's like Wasteland all over again, where people on official forums where losing their shit over any deviation from the first game, all while polls made it clear barely anyone has actually played it.

The difference being, Wasteland 1 was actually incredibly innovative for its time and had some ideas that were worth reproducing, but BT3 in many ways was already dated and primitive in 1988.

I liked Ron Gilbert's answer on this when similar complaints were made towards Thimbleweed Park. He said something along the line of, my job is not to recreate the original games, my job is to recreate experience of playing this game people have in their memories. And he was right, because TP is the closest we got to a Lucas Arts adventure since Lucas Arts have closed the shop.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. frajaq Educated

frajaq
    Parrots:
    game mite b cool

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Huh: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2197359

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. theSavant Erudite

theSavant
    Parrots:
    Btw. when you watch the background video of the new website, you can see a short clip of a previously unseen winter scenery.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Parrots:
    Judging just by the looks, amount of abilities and such, for a blobber this looks popamole as fuck. Can't get over lack of solid ui with portraits too.

But who knows, might be fun. I still played through nu-Might and magic, so maybe will play through this too.

^ Top  
  18. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Beta in July? Hey, that's pretty soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Saxon1974 Cipher

Saxon1974
    Parrots:
    Saw that, thank you for putting it together. Honestly other than the blue grid looking weird to me (looks sci-fi) I think the positioning of combat looks pretty good. At least it's not RTWP where I can't tell what's going on.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Ooh:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Parrots:
    Wait, is that still a grid-based blobber? doesn't feel like it

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. imweasel Arcane

imweasel
    Parrots:
    ^
    The game has a grid-based mode and a free movement mode.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Parrots:
    Completely forgot, my bad

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Kruno Scholar

Kruno
    Parrots:
    Please tell me the game will have an insane difficulty!

• No No x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Ho, just noticed that Bard's Tale IV will be on the Twitch E3 broadcast tomorrow.

Also, from yesterday:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)