Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Become turnt in the new turn-based game where you play as the skilled warrior Based-in-Turns on a quest to destroy an evil Base based in the Turn Kingdom armed only with a turning basilard as seek to destroy the Based One basing innocent bases.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Agree with all that, was just refuting Saxon1974's "only one shot". Nostalgia addicts don't learn from their mistakes any quicker than the rest of humanity.
I meant more specifically nostalgia Kickstarter as a whole; at least for me. Didn't play numanera but I liked W-2 enough to keep backing inxile. If Bards Tale 4 is a slap in the face to the old games I'm probably done with inxile KS's

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Agree with all that, was just refuting Saxon1974's "only one shot". Nostalgia addicts don't learn from their mistakes any quicker than the rest of humanity.
I meant more specifically nostalgia Kickstarter as a whole; at least for me. Didn't play numanera but I liked W-2 enough to keep backing inxile. If Bards Tale 4 is a slap in the face to the old games I'm probably done with inxile KS's
Understandable. Personally I think people need to really start reading what kickstarters are pitching, especially when nostalgia bias is involved. Everybody flipped out when BT4 combat turned out so different from the originals, but if you read the pitch this is exactly what they described they were going to do. A lot of grogs just saw "Bard's Tale", stopped reading, checked their brains at the door and threw money. Whose fault is that?

Not talking about anyone in particular :)

Saxon1974

Prophet
Understandable. Personally I think people need to really start reading what kickstarters are pitching, especially when nostalgia bias is involved. Everybody flipped out when BT4 combat turned out so different from the originals, but if you read the pitch this is exactly what they described they were going to do. A lot of grogs just saw "Bard's Tale", stopped reading, checked their brains at the door and threw money. Whose fault is that?

Not talking about anyone in particular :)

Oh yea your right. It's why I didn't back Garriots shame of the avatar; I could see easily the focus was not single player RPG.

I did back BT4 though and im kind of skeptical from what I have seen. I remember them saying phased based combat. I need to look into what they have done a bit more, I have seen the spacing blue grid and not sure what to think.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did back BT4 though and im kind of skeptical from what I have seen. I remember them saying phased based combat. I need to look into what they have done a bit more, I have seen the spacing blue grid and not sure what to think.
If you haven't seen the alpha/demo yet, I did a run-through. The combat is nothing like the original series for sure ... but I think it will be a good game. I'm honestly looking forward to playing it. fwiw

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
BT4 campaign was quite open from the start that game is going to be heavily modernized, so I don't' get all the sudden butthurt in this thread. It's like Wasteland all over again, where people on official forums where losing their shit over any deviation from the first game, all while polls made it clear barely anyone has actually played it.

The difference being, Wasteland 1 was actually incredibly innovative for its time and had some ideas that were worth reproducing, but BT3 in many ways was already dated and primitive in 1988.

I liked Ron Gilbert's answer on this when similar complaints were made towards Thimbleweed Park. He said something along the line of, my job is not to recreate the original games, my job is to recreate experience of playing this game people have in their memories. And he was right, because TP is the closest we got to a Lucas Arts adventure since Lucas Arts have closed the shop.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2197359

Backer Beta Update & New Website!

df2ad4ee4c6d3b189e90a9ec51717d01_original.png

TL: DR - Backer Beta info, New Website, Bonus Backer Goodies

Backer Beta Update
Hi all, Paul here with a quick update! To start off, many of you have asked, so we wanted to share a quick head's up with you: the Backer Beta is coming out this July, and while we don't have a set date to announce yet, it will be in the earlier part of the month. Stay tuned for more information on the beta as we get closer to its release!

New Website
We wanted to reach out because we announced the launch of our new website on Wednesday: http://bardstale.com! The site is mainly for folks looking to discover more about the game, but there are a couple of items that are of interest to you (since you are getting them), so we wanted to share a first look at them with you!

Part of the new website is a suite of pre-order packages for non-backers. If you have any friends that have been following the game or might be interested, we would be grateful if you helped spread the word. The pre-orders include a pair of new in-game items - Kael's Axe and the Fire Horn! Returning fans will recognize both names as two of the more powerful weapons from the original Bard's Tale. While these items are special pre-order bonuses for new players, every backer receiving a copy of the game ($20 pledge level and above) will be receiving these items for FREE, so you've got these returning classics to look forward to wielding against your enemies! It's our way of saying thanks for backing the game and helping us to reach this point! Each item has its own story, and we'd like to share that with you in a first look.

Kael’s Axe
07b681e2cde42361b3cef75729740294_original.jpg

Centuries before Mangar encircled Skara Brae in ice, the great bard Kael, one of the founders of the Adventurers Guild, had been given foresight of the city's peril in a dream. Kael thought to kill the Dark One before he struck, so he commissioned from the elves an enchanted axe. Weapon in hand, he then sought Mangar's tower, which manifested like a cancer in many realms throughout the ages.

Though the axe defeated all the enemies which Kael faced, it sadly could not protect him from the madness which seeped from the tower's walls, leaving him gibbering and lost before he was able to confront Mangar.

No one knew what became of Kael or his axe until those days of icy doom in Skara Brae when a brave band of adventurers entered the tower and defeated Mangar at last. It is said that they found poor Kael in his resting place within the city's catacombs, along with his now legendary weapon.

Since then, it has been passed from adventurer to adventurer, always given to one from whom great things are expected. Now it is yours, but its secrets must be unlocked through cleverness and valor. Fortunately, you have also been given a few pages from the journal of the last hero so honored, and these may - if read carefully - help you reveal the long-forgotten powers of Kael's Axe.

Good luck!

Fire Horn
1102d5bef3e5c0620d551a1174a55bec_original.jpg

The Fire Horn is a relic from long before the days of the Three Great Evils. It was forged by the dwarven smiths of the Haernhold, having been commissioned by King Aildrek of the Baed to make for him a battle horn that would set aflame the ships of Gotten raiders before they could enter Skara Brae's harbor. This was before Aildrek became known as the Witch King, so the dwarves did not yet know of his villainy. They were soon to learn.

In good faith the dwarves crafted the horn and delivered it to Aildrek's castle in Skara Brae. The Fire Horn was presented to him with great ceremony...along with their bill. Aildrek, however, insisted that he test the horn before he paid for it and, putting it to his lips, blew a note at the dwarven smiths, turning them all into smoking ash.

By the time word of this barbaric treachery reached the Haernhold, Aildrek had revealed his true nature, prompting an uprising against him. The dwarves sent a champion to aid Skara Brae and recover the horn, but though Aildrek was defeated, the horn was never found. It remained lost until a century later when Baron Harkyn occupied the castle and betrayed his people to Mangar the Dark. The legend goes that the brave adventurers discovered the horn in the depths of the castle and used it to defeat the baron's corrupted berserker horde.

Since then, as the tales tell, the horn has always appeared when Skara Brae was in deepest peril. Now, with new evils rising, the Fire Horn has appeared to you. Claim it and light the way (and your foes) to victory!

Getting Closer
Regarding the Fire Horn, this has been a long wait for me. A year ago, we did a backer survey asking about which returning weapons you most wanted to see. We didn't list the Fire Horn, and easily our largest write-in answer was "FIRE HORN!!!" and variants thereof! I'm pleased to finally let you know that the Fire Horn is making a triumphant return!

The launch of the website represents another milestone as we quickly approach the release of The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep. As an added peek behind the curtain, if you look at the pre-order tiers, you can get a first glimpse of what some of your backer digital and physical rewards are going to look like when you receive them! Take a look, let us know what you think, and please help us to continue spreading the word out in the world and across social media! Thanks for your time, and for those of you in the U.S., have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Until Next Time,
Paul Marzagalli
Public Relations & Community Manager
@phimseto

Follow Us:
Facebook | Twitter

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Btw. when you watch the background video of the new website, you can see a short clip of a previously unseen winter scenery.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Judging just by the looks, amount of abilities and such, for a blobber this looks popamole as fuck. Can't get over lack of solid ui with portraits too.

But who knows, might be fun. I still played through nu-Might and magic, so maybe will play through this too.

Saxon1974

Prophet
If you haven't seen the alpha/demo yet, I did a run-through. The combat is nothing like the original series for sure ... but I think it will be a good game. I'm honestly looking forward to playing it. fwiw

Saw that, thank you for putting it together. Honestly other than the blue grid looking weird to me (looks sci-fi) I think the positioning of combat looks pretty good. At least it's not RTWP where I can't tell what's going on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ho, just noticed that Bard's Tale IV will be on the Twitch E3 broadcast tomorrow.

Also, from yesterday:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Zombra butthurt - not only do you only start with one player character at the beginning of the game, you don't even get to create him at first. He's predefined and then a short while in you're offered the opportunity to respec. :cool:

Brian says the game is 30-35 hours long, but that who knows, it might end up being twice as long in practice.

Zombra

Patron
Zombra butthurt - not only do you only start with one player character at the beginning of the game, you don't even get to create him at first. He's predefined and then a short while in you're offered the opportunity to respec. :cool:
Not that bad. You start with a premade dood and then you can fire him and bring in one of your own. The difference is subtle, but it does make this not annoying to me. A tutorial story with a tutorial character who goes back to cleaning toilets when it's over? Fine. If I had Joe the Annoying Wizard and I was only able to respec him into Joe the Annoying Fighter, that would stink.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom