Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Saxon1974

Prophet
Keep hearing things like it bears little to the originals...why? I get tech is light years ahead but wouldn't you think similar feel to the originals with modern technology would be a goal?

If it feels nothing like the originals then I regret backing it (if this turns out to be)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Keep hearing things like it bears little to the originals...why? I get tech is light years ahead but wouldn't you think similar feel to the originals with modern technology would be a goal?
If it feels nothing like the originals then I regret backing it (if this turns out to be)
It is indeed quite dissimilar to the classics. The fundamental difference in the concept for combat (dynamic "card game" action-by-action reactivity instead of traditional phase-based number stack attrition) has resonated through the entire design, including party composition, character growth, and level layouts.

It's a blobber and there are bards in it - that's about where the similarity ends.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2018/...dy-to-tell-a-new-tale-in-barrows-deep/295182/

The Bard is Ready to Tell a New Tale in Barrows Deep

The Bard’s Tale was a once popular series of PC games that vanished after the ’80s ended. There was The Bard’s Tale Construction Set in 1991 that was basically an early RPG Maker using the engine from the Bard’s Tale games and there was the 2004 isometric action RPG The Bard’s Tale, but there hasn’t been a proper Bard’s Tale since 1988. That changes with The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep. This is a return to Skara Brae as a dungeon crawler in the larger world of Caith. Set 100 years after the events of The Bards’ Tale III: Thief of Fate, so slightly longer than the time lapse between releases, this new entry is a return to form with a modern makeover, promising to enchant new and returning fans alike.

Like most adventures, The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep begins as a solo outing, but soon new companions will be recruited to become a formidable dungeon-crawling party. As the player levels up they will be able to customize their party members’ abilities and equipment as they delve through dungeons filled with numerous traps and mysterious puzzles. The journey will take the party to many unique locations, such as the lowlands of Baedish, the island of Einarr and the Forests of the Fichti.

The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep plays like a regular first-person dungeon crawler. During our time with the demo a few puzzles were discovered while exploring the dungeon we were in. The solutions were not necessarily obvious at first glance, but they were easy to figure out after examining nearby clues. Combat is turn based and fought over a grid, so player positioning factors into what abilities they should use and what their viable targets are. Area of effects and damage over time were things to take into consideration, but there were other factors as well such as a character who unlocked more powerful abilities if they happened to imbibe alcohol during one of their turns. It’s called The Bard’s Tale; what kind of bard wouldn’t have some element of drunken merriment?

Our time with The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep was woefully short, but the game presented itself as a charming and somewhat humorous affair in that amount of time. The strategy necessary for victory in battle presented a level of challenge where the player needs to put some thought into what they are going to do for each character’s turn, but not merciless if they aren’t a brilliant tactician, so basically they found the happy medium between boring and frustrating. It looks and feels like a modern dungeon crawler, but also maintains the charm and overall essence of the older titles. The Gaelic music provided by Ged Grimes of Simple Minds contributed to creating a unique in game atmosphere for this title and the legendary Gaelic folk singers employed helped bring the Bard’s songs and melodies to life, which naturally will have some effect on gameplay.

The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep is designed to scratch that old school, dungeon-crawling RPG itch. While there are several nods to the previous entries in the series and this is meant to appeal to fans of The Bard’s Tale, it’s standalone title that is meant to be enjoyed by all RPG fans with no prior experience with the Bard required. There is no release date set outside of sometime in 2018, but it can be pre-ordered from Steam. It’s hard to form a definitive opinion on a game based on a brief work-in-progress demo, but from what we’ve seen this has potential to be a welcome return for the franchise.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I'm so fucking bipolar on this, I want it to be good, but I just feel that it will be a crushing disappointment*

*I really need to lower my expectations

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Me too. I had high hopes, but the juvenile humor (i.e. guy with sword in the eye) and cringy artstyle (i.e. party looks like puppets) overshadow interesting things (like i.e. combat system) negatively. There's a decent amount of things I like, mixed together with an equal amount of things I really dislike. Makes me squirm in pain.

Last edited:

Saxon1974

Prophet
It is indeed quite dissimilar to the classics. The fundamental difference in the concept for combat (dynamic "card game" action-by-action reactivity instead of traditional phase-based number stack attrition) has resonated through the entire design, including party composition, character growth, and level layouts.

It's a blobber and there are bards in it - that's about where the similarity ends.

Damn. The original games were hard too...I played on the C64 where you had to manage spell points and health and escape the dungeon with your loot as you could only save at the guild. I know that type of thing will never be again but man it made for intense gaming that I really enjoyed. This stuff has made me start playing BT2 with a C64 emulator.

The original games you created an entire party and now it appears you don't; just the bard and then you can find NPCs. Hmm...I want this to be good but not feeling it as a Bards tale game.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The original games you created an entire party and now it appears you don't; just the bard and then you can find NPCs. Hmm...I want this to be good but not feeling it as a Bards tale game.
I think you actually do full party creation, just starting with one and then making the rest when you reach the Adventurers' Guild. We're not crystal clear on it yet. I put up a thread in hopes of getting dev clarification.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Why wouldn't you start at the guild? What you're describing is how they described Wasteland 3, not Bard's Tale 4, or am I missing something?

Zombra

Patron
Why wouldn't you start at the guild? What you're describing is how they described Wasteland 3, not Bard's Tale 4, or am I missing something?
I should have bookmarked my sources, but I remember seeing this in a couple different articles. It barely registered at the time because of all the alpha demo hype. It's possible that I'm simply insane but the memory is real.

My theory is that inXile are going to do this with every game now to ease noobs into RPGs. Apparently a lot of people complained that it was too hard to make a whole party all at once at the beginning of Wasteland 2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't remember seeing that about Bard's Tale IV either, just Wasteland 3. It wouldn't surprise me if inXile do something like that, but I don't remember them talking about character or party creation in Bard's Tale IV at all.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Well once again people complaining about party creation at the beginning is too hard makes me believe they are dumbing it down or making it more accessible to sell more copies. I understand that from a business perspective, but it felt like this game was kickstarted as making another bards tale aimed at fans of the original. I don't need another accessible modernized blobber I have plenty of those to play already. What I want is a game made with modern technology that is still deep and challenging made for gamers who enjoy that type of thing.

I like Wasteland 2 quite a bit. I think it feels enough like the Wasteland original to satisfy me but not feeling that from what I have seen from the bards tale.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Well, one PnP session in x system ought to be more-or-less the same as any other with the same group, so making characters beforehand makes sense. Players don't know what they're walking into when they boot up most of these games, so the question of difficulty seems irrelevant to me when the player is walking into a black box.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well once again people complaining about party creation at the beginning is too hard makes me believe they are dumbing it down or making it more accessible to sell more copies. I understand that from a business perspective, but it felt like this game was kickstarted as making another bards tale aimed at fans of the original. I don't need another accessible modernized blobber I have plenty of those to play already. What I want is a game made with modern technology that is still deep and challenging made for gamers who enjoy that type of thing.

Is it really so bad if you create the rest of your party over the first few hours rather than immediately? Now that people can refund anything within a couple of hours, kicking off a game with full party creation must feel like a major risk. They probably want to give players content as soon as possible. Actually, I kind of like the idea of a gradually expanding blob.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

Is it really so bad if you create the rest of your party over the first few hours rather than immediately? Now that people can refund anything within a couple of hours, kicking off a game with full party creation must feel like a major risk. They probably want to give players content as soon as possible. Actually, I kind of like the idea of a gradually expanding blob.
If the first character is special then it's very, very bad. Otherwise it's tolerable.

Zombra

Patron
Is it really so bad if you create the rest of your party over the first few hours rather than immediately? Actually, I kind of like the idea of a gradually expanding blob.
I'm coming to terms with the idea myself. I've never played a party RPG that works this way before, but on paper it's not a basically wrong concept. It might even help with my usual syndrome where I make a party, play the game for a while, then realize I did it all wrong and have to start over.

If the first character is special then it's very, very bad. Otherwise it's tolerable.
Can't Agree x 1 hard enough. The difference between a "chosen one" game and an "ensemble cast" true party RPG fundamentally changes everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom