Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Zombra

are they asking for feedback yet

For the love of god please on behalf of the codex make sure to suggest that they include option to speed-up or disable animations during combat (atk anims Death anims etc)... anything to speed it up.

That and ability to map those standardized turn options (seems like there will always be 5 action icons per turn) able to be mapped to keyboard keys.

thx

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
[The BT4 system] looks much slower.
Bards Tale 4 system: select character - select action - pause - select character - select action - pause - select character - select action - pause - chrrrrr... (falling asleep)
Nope! The game accepts inputs as quickly as you can click them, with animations running the whole time. The enemy turn won't start until all animations are complete, but that's just a couple seconds. It's really pretty fast. It looks slow in these alpha videos because none of us know how to play the game yet.

This is me clicking as fast as I can:

That and ability to map those standardized turn options (seems like there will always be 5 action icons per turn) able to be mapped to keyboard keys.
A demand for robust keyboard controls was the first piece of feedback I sent to the google doc. Pretty sure I've also been talking about it on the forum for all time, maybe not though as it seems like I say it every day on some site, I'll remember to bring it up again.

Last edited:

SophosTheWise

Cipher
I'm really surprised. Seems like hell of a step up from the first videos I've seen. I dig the puzzle portions and art design. That blue combat grid is horrible though.

Morkar Left

[The BT4 system] looks much slower.
Bards Tale 4 system: select character - select action - pause - select character - select action - pause - select character - select action - pause - chrrrrr... (falling asleep)
Nope! The game accepts inputs as quickly as you can click them, with animations running the whole time. The enemy turn won't start until all animations are complete, but that's just a couple seconds. It's really pretty fast. It looks slow in these alpha videos because none of us know how to play the game yet.

This is me clicking as fast as I can:

That's not really looking fast...

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Me, or the game?

One thing that does slow it down is the death animations, you have to wait for them at the end of the turn if you killed anybody, and wait for them again at the end of combat. I went ahead and complained about this, pretty confident it will be ironed out.

Morkar Left

Me, or the game?

One thing that does slow it down is the death animations, you have to wait for them at the end of the turn if you killed anybody, and wait for them again at the end of combat. I went ahead and complained about this, pretty confident it will be ironed out.

I meant the whole fight including animations and all, not you clicking slow. Personally I don't mind some "slow" animations (BG chars walking through wilderness never bothered me), but I think some things are just overkill like the "Enemy Turn" labels (it's not box fight) etc. I hope I can deactivate that because I think it will get old really, really fast. The death and getting hit animations are fine for me.

Zombra

Patron
I meant the whole fight including animations and all, not you clicking slow. Personally I don't mind some "slow" animations (BG chars walking through wilderness never bothered me), but I think some things are just overkill like the "Enemy Turn" labels (it's not box fight) etc. I hope I can deactivate that because I think it will get old really, really fast. The death and getting hit animations are fine for me.
"Enemy Turn" does slow it down. "Player Turn" is fine because you can start clicking as soon as the buttons appear* (when "Player Turn" is still on the screen). But the enemies stand back and somberly watch "Enemy Turn" go by, then wait a couple seconds to make sure you saw it before they start moving. Gonna hit up the feedback page again, thanks for pointing this out.

*The little animation of the buttons appearing doesn't add anything to the experience, gonna recommend they remove that too.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
You are trying your best, Zombra, but the system itself is still slow as fuck.

One of the main reasons for the slowness is that the battlefield continuously changes, i.e. your character must change his position to attack an enemy, an enemy attacks and messes up your characters positions, enemy changes positions and is out of reach. In short - after each action something on the battlefield changes and you must evaluate the battlefield again. This evaluation costs a considerable amount of time. In a phase-based system like Wizardry, your evaluation only happens after a full phase.

Another reason for slowness is the UI interaction. If characters were on fixed positions on your screen like Wizardry, you automatically find a way to select them in a specfic order each battle. So you'll automatically get faster. In BT4 however the characters are not on fixed positions, but on continuously changing positions. In fact they slide around the whole width of the screen. First, this messes up your way of moving the mouse, because you must search the character on the battlefield. Second, this messes up your "clicking order". Third you might forget which ones you have used already, or which character has still an action left.

I also agree about the already mentioned slow enemy animations: while I noticed that the actions from the player are immediate (which is nice), the enemy animations are slow and remind me of Wiz8. Slow speed was the biggest issue of Wiz8. I hope inXile finds a way to speed up their animations.

Tbh, I doubt much will change, because this "dynamic battlefield" is by design. And I don't say it's bad. But it feels slow.
I probably had a bit wrong expectations. Expected a system similar to the older Wizardrys or Elminage (and in 3d).

Zombra

Patron
You are trying your best, Zombra, but the system itself is still slow as fuck.

One of the main reasons for the slowness is that the battlefield continuously changes ... after each action something on the battlefield changes and you must evaluate the battlefield again. This evaluation costs a considerable amount of time.

Another reason for slowness is the UI interaction. In BT4 the characters are not on fixed positions, but on continuously changing positions. You must search the character on the battlefield. Second, this messes up your "clicking order". Third you might forget which ones you have used already, or which character has still an action left.
You're not complaining about 'the system itself' being slow; you're complaining about you (or the player) being slow. It's a bit like complaining that chess against a computer is too slow because you have to do all that thinking ... but whether you're clicking your mouse every second or not, that thinking you're doing is gameplay. Yes, combats will take longer than an AAADDD game ... and will be much more involved. I agree this isn't like the classics, and I get the appeal of button mashing through millions of goblins. This was never going to be that.

Tbh, I doubt much will change, because this "dynamic battlefield" is by design. And I don't say it's bad. But it feels slow.
I probably had a bit wrong expectations. Expected a system similar to the older Wizardrys or Elminage (and in 3d).
Yeah. The kickstarter pitch lays this all out in pretty exacting detail. It's OK if you expected something else for some reason, but we're getting exactly what we were promised.

Combat is resolved in a phase-based manner, meaning your entire party takes its turn, and then all enemies take theirs. In the original trilogy, you’d make all of the decisions at once and only then see the results. For The Bard’s Tale IV, we want a more dynamic experience: as soon as you decide what a character will do, they immediately act. This is the first way in which battles dynamically change, as your rolls and effects can have a variety of outcomes which might make you rethink your next action.

When we say that combat is dynamic, we also relate that to the game's pace and feel. The Bard’s Tale IV allows you to give your commands as quickly as you want, even while the animations of your previous commands are still playing out. This removes the tedium of waiting around for animations to finish before the system accepts your next input. And of course, your enemies are a major part of keeping the system dynamic – you'll need to examine the battlefield and react accordingly to win, including being aware of abilities that directly counter other abilities.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Indeed... it's about time I get this wrong imagination of what the game should be out of my brain :oops:
It's true, that it was never pitched as this. I'll try not to complain about it anymore and accept it what it is.

Enemy speed still nags me, but I think an option to accelerate the animation speed of enemies would solve this. I wouldn't mind, if they moved fast like in a horror movie.
However if the character animations are faster, it would be better if they removed the "Idle-Animations" or "Random-Animations" (like that butt-showing), so that there is not too much, too fast character animation on the screen. They could just animate them only when they attack or get hit (and these animations fastened up).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
One of the main reasons for the slowness is that the battlefield continuously changes, i.e. your character must change his position to attack an enemy, an enemy attacks and messes up your characters positions, enemy changes positions and is out of reach. In short - after each action something on the battlefield changes and you must evaluate the battlefield again. This evaluation costs a considerable amount of time. In a phase-based system like Wizardry, your evaluation only happens after a full phase.

couldnt have said it better!

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I wished we knew what they're gonna change from the Alpha. I've set back my expectations already. The only things I hope for now is:

- Faster combat (which is probably possible by speeding up animations and remove the juvenile gimmicks)
- A more aesthetic and consistent UI theme (not so sure that's gonna happen)

I guess these 2 are already mentioned in the backer forum, so I can only hope and wait... :M

Zombra

Patron
I guess these 2 are already mentioned in the backer forum, so I can only hope and wait... :M
Don't be silly. If you actually care, get your ass to Mars and post your support for the changes you want to see. The more people vocally supporting an idea, the better the chance inXile will do it. Easy example, we convinced them to increase the number of PCs from 4 to 5* by making a thread which received a lot of support. If it had only been 2 or 3 guys posting, it wouldn't have happened. Seriously, inXile may have lousy two-way communication most of the time, but they do read everything over there and every post matters. Now get to it soldier.

*We wanted 8, but hey, we still gained ground.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what-where do i buy to get access to the alpha (and i assume beta) do i just pre-order it on steam or what

sea should be reading this thread :grumble:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
guys I made the mistake of reading the RPG Watch thread for BT 4...

- people whining that its first person
- people whining that you cant see your party
- people complaining that the combat is turn-based
- people saying that its weird party members pop up onscreen when talking instead of it being more cinematic
- people complaining gear-puzzle is too esoteric

I always knew Watch was not the place to go for real RPG discussion because of Police State enforcing Politeness and stuff but I never knew it had gotten to the point where Watch posters had literally gone full retard.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I wished we knew what they're gonna change from the Alpha. I've set back my expectations already. The only things I hope for now is:

- Faster combat (which is probably possible by speeding up animations and remove the juvenile gimmicks)
- A more aesthetic and consistent UI theme (not so sure that's gonna happen)

Only thing I hope that the game has at least 20h of playtime. If were are to judge it from this alpha, real content seems to be pretty sparse.

Zombra

Patron
Only thing I hope that the game has at least 20h of playtime. If were are to judge it from this alpha, real content seems to be pretty sparse.
Don't quote me, but if I remember right it's supposed to be 20-30 hours? The demo/alpha is definitely a 'vertical slice' showing systems and nothing more. One point of interest for example, in the real game those 'fake doors' that go nowhere would all lead into other parts of the dungeon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoops, missed this: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-4-the-first-proper-series-entry-in-30-years/

Hands-on with Bard’s Tale 4, the first proper series entry in 30 years
Hearthstone meets Might & Magic in this distant descendant.

BardsTaletavern-800x450.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO—When it was published as Tales of the Unknown: Volume I in 1985, The Bard's Talewas the most popular PC RPG yet released. It spawned two sequels, but disputes over contracts and more prevented further development. The series went dormant for 30 years, apart from a comedy action RPG in the early 2000s that bore little resemblance to the original game.

Now, a Kickstarter has given life to The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep. Developed by Interplay alum-founded inXile Entertainment (Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera), it's the first game in decades to follow the basic mold of the original series of RPGs, though it takes a few liberties of its own to modernize the franchise (most of them are welcome).

I played a work-in-progress version at the 2018 Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco, guided by lead designer David Rogers. While I had a few small complaints as a classic CRPG player, I walked away from the demo with the impression that inXile has struck a reasonable balance between the spirit of the hardcore originals and the new, more modern expectations of today's players.

Add some Hearthstone to your classic RPG
Let's start with the combat, which is, by necessity, a bit of a departure from the text-based combat of the original Bard's Tale. In this game, each battle takes place on a grid of tiles overlaid on top of the existing 3D world, representing the spaces characters can occupy. Half of the tiles—those closest to my perspective—could only be inhabited by my party members, while the other half could only be occupied by enemies. It's a turn-based system in which you assign a set number of action points for your party, then end your turn to see the resulting melee.

Positioning is key in this battle system; placing a fighter in front of a mage to protect the latter from many attacks is a good strategy, for instance. Each attack, on both sides of the battlefield, only affects tiles in a preset range. One attack might light up a T-shape of tiles, while others would attack in a straight line, for example. Those attacks are determined partly by your characters' abilities, but others were made available to characters by the equipment they carried.

The flow of the game felt very similar to that of digital card games like Hearthstone or The Elder Scrolls Legends. Each battle was a puzzle that could be solved by arranging party members in the right formations and spending action points on the right actions. And there was just a little bit of randomness to make things interesting now and then—though the demo I played didn't have nearly as much randomness to it as one would find in a zany Hearthstone match.

inXile may have examined the marketplace and determined that older gamers who played the original series, now strapped for time, have gone on to play a lot of games like Hearthstone. So the new flow works well, even if it's not very similar to the action we saw in the original games. Still, there are just enough faithful homages in there to make things feel authentic.

My main complaint when playing was that the user interface for battles seemed inconsistent and unintuitive. Each space on the grid is differently sized, making positioning your characters and planning attacks a bit weird. Your own party appears as sprite drawings that are overlaid on the grid squares closest to you; this is odd, given that the enemy party members are in full 3D on the same grid. That said, I found myself engaged by pulling off amusingly effective and devastating strategies on my enemies with synergistic character abilities, all while frantically working to reposition my party members in anticipation of big attacks from the other side.

Exploring and puzzles
Outside of battle, The Bard's Tale IV gets rid of the tile-based movement for a free-roaming, first-person perspective very similar to those of other first-person, party-based RPGs.

Update: inXile says that an optional tile-based movement mode is coming, too.

The environment I was exploring—some kind of ancient ruin dungeon—was pretty standard fantasy fare. Unlike the original game, though, I didn't run into any random battles. I could see every enemy in the world, and combat would commence as soon as they saw me (or if I fired a stealthy first shot to gain initiative). Every combat encounter concluded with a chest that opens with a loot box-style flourish—but don't worry, they're only acquired through in-game means.

The Bard's Tale series is known for its puzzles, and those are back as well—as are the bard songs that help you solve them. I only got to use one of these in my demo, letting me shatter damaged walls to find secret passages in some puzzles. It was never very clear to me which walls could be broken and which couldn't, though. Another puzzle played out as sort of a memory game to match rune-like symbols on a device in one area to those I saw written on the wall in another area.

I was also quickly reintroduced to the series' quirky and sometimes macabre sense of humor through a man with a knife sticking in his eye socket, who complained that he wished he could pull it out so he could just die already.

Lead Designer David Rogers told me the company reused assets from its VR game The Mage's Tale in making this game, and the result is a strong visual style. Rogers said that the game features robust town environments, too, but I was not able to explore those in this demo.

Impressions
I came away from my demo feeling that The Bard's Tale IV served as an effective homage to the original games, and it has been updated to fit the schedules of older gamers whose tastes might have turned a bit more casual in recent years.

Not that the turn toward a more casual audience is a bad thing. The returned gameplay is very fun, and the spirit of the originals is still present despite the changes. That's not too surprising, since original series creator Michael Cranford agreed to consult, and former Interplay executive Brian Fargo is the leading sequel developer at inXile, too.

There were several problems with inconsistency and lack of clarity in the user interface that I found irritating, but I don't think they were glaring enough to trouble most of the game's core audience. Let's be honest, this is still a big step up from the awful interfaces on many classic computer RPGs. And the interface will likely be polished further with additional development time.

Kickstarter backers (who helped contribute items and such to the game) can already play this demo version. Others will have to wait for a $39.99 PC, Mac, and Linux release later this year.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/booze-makes-you-a-better-wizard-in-the-bards-tale-4s-great-rpg-combat/

Booze makes you a better wizard in The Bard's Tale 4's great RPG combat
You need to drink. Just don't drink too much—because there's a lot going on with this combat system, and it's a blast.

When I visited inXile in the summer of 2017, we talked about how The Bard's Tale 4 would approach exploration and puzzles and dungeons and characters. None of those larger elements of the game are really present in the alpha build that is now available to Kickstarter backers—it's a short demo snippet with a couple easily solved puzzles and only a few rooms to explore. It's all about the fighting.

Here's an example of an encounter from the beginning of the demo, when I interrupt some weird cultists mid-ritual with a preset party: a bard, a fighter, and a magic practitioner:

There are so many small but significant twists on combat that I like. Enemies and your units line up on a 4x8 grid, and most attacks hit specific spots on the grid. That usually means one or two spaces in a line in front—a head-on strike—which makes exceptions important. After this fight I got a new sword for my fighter, which let him perform a sweeping strike against the three squares in front of him, a crucial way to hit multiple enemies or attack without moving, because moving costs an action point.

Some abilities use mana instead of action points, which adds another layer. The bard and practitioner can each spend an action point to chug alcohol or meditate, charging up to use a magical attack instead. Coupled with a taunt from a fighter, this is a great way to play defensively one turn and then drop a big attack the next turn.

There's more to movement than just lining up an attack. If you or an enemy are inflicted with bleeding, moving causes two damage. So you can make an enemy bleed, then use taunt to draw them forward. Two damage. Then hit them with an ability that causes knock-back. Two more damage. Of course, the same can happen to you, and even taking that extra damage to get in place for an attack makes you think it through. Turns aren't questions of "what should this character do?" but rather "how should I divvy up this pool of actions?"

I expect all this to get vastly more complex in the full game, when you'll be able to have a party of up to six adventurers, all relying on the same pool of four action points per turn. There's already a hint of how much interplay between movement and action the designers plan to add: one pair of boots I discovered lowered the cost of magic spells by one mana after moving. Weapons and other equipment have abilities attached to them, but use that ability enough and you'll master it and be able to keep it equipped when you upgrade to new gear. It's not a new idea, but I love seeing it in a dungeon crawler as a way to make equipment more significant than stats you throw onto a character.

Using weapons to master skills also imbues them with a bit of personality, and that's especially true of The Bard's Tale 4's puzzle weapons, which grow in power as you fiddle with them and solve little mysteries. Here's one from the alpha, which I found too simple to power up—I hope these are genuinely intricate and challenging puzzles in the final game—but the idea is just great.

I've only played a small slice of The Bard's Tale 4 so far, but it feels like a dungeon crawler made for me, which I didn't know was possible. With a combat system this fun, the rest of the game has a lot to live up to. inXile still plans to have The Bard's Tale 4 out by the end of 2018.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
GameBanshee alpha preview: http://www.gamebanshee.com/previews/120517-the-bard-s-tale-iv-barrows-deep-preview/all-pages.html

Introduction

After Legend of Grimrock revitalized first person dungeon crawlers back in 2012, we've been seeing a bit of a resurgence to this nearly forgotten subgenre of RPGs. One of the more notable projects to arise from this resurgence was inXile's The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep, a true sequel to Interplay's classic and beloved series.

This collective love that simmered for about three decades led to a successful Kickstarter campaign that gathered over $1.5 million in 2015. Nearly three years and 43 Kickstarter updates later, The Bard's Tale IV is entering the final stages of its development and has a playable alpha build. InXile was kind enough to provide us with access to this build, so let's take it for a spin, shall we?

Sing Us a Song Tonight

The currently available alpha version of The Bard's Tale IV greets you with a soulful opening song, truncated options menu, and a brief combat tutorial. Then, after a short loading screen, your party of three gets thrown into a dungeon and tasked with finding Lagoth Zanta somewhere within Castle Langskaal.

This takes about half an hour, which isn't that much, but those thirty minutes are densely packed with content. You get to fiddle with gears, break walls with your thunderous songs, fight a bunch of nefarious cultists and their goblin minions, unlock the hidden powers of an elven longsword, drink some booze, and even eat an authentic haggis.

All of this is powered by the Unreal Engine 4 and as such looks quite nice. The textures are rich and varied, with ancient crumbled walls making way for some snowy plains and then opulent castle interiors. All kinds of statues, trees, and assorted smithing equipment serve as minor obstacles and offer a taste of the full game's tile set variety. Unfortunately, the alpha doesn't allow you to change any of the graphics options, which leads to it looking a bit too blurry for my taste, but I'm sure the final version will let you tweak those according to your preferences.

The sound design is also pretty great. Apart from the aforementioned opening song, the environmental stuff is also really good. The wind howls, the gears squeak as they turn, the cultists of Castle Langskaal gossip among themselves. It all comes together to create a mighty pleasant audio environment.

Your party members aren't exactly a silent bunch either and never hesitate to voice their thoughts upon solving a puzzle or discovering a secret passage. And I don't know if it's because I'm not from the United Kingdom myself, but the voice actors' accents have a nice ring to them and add some neat flavor to the overall atmosphere.

The user interface, on the other hand, is far from stellar. It looks nice and slick at first glance but that's about it. The tooltips are too obtrusive, item descriptions occasionally leave the screen's boundaries, the area of effect markers are hard to see, there are some inconsistencies with attribute names, and it's quite tricky to click on your characters with any sort of precision.

What also bothered me, were the animated 3D models on the character screen. Not only are they pointless, as you pretty much never see your party members on account of this being a first person game, but they also cause some unnecessary microstutter when you're cycling through the character sheets.

Then, there's the highlighting. The objects you can interact with get a bright blue outline when you hover your mouse over them, and in my opinion, it's a bit jarring in a dungeon crawler. This isn't some hardcore thing as much as it is a game design thing. When you have to remain attentive and keep your mind sharp to notice all the hidden clues and cracked walls, the last thing I want to do is train my brain to look for that blue outline. The problem is, I'm not sure how they would fix that without forcing you to click on every piece of scenery since the current setup includes plenty of non-interactable clutter.

I also need to mention some welcome advancements in the actual character models. They looked rather odd in the early gameplay videos - these weird cardboard cutouts that moved up and down as they spoke and alternated between facing you and the enemies in combat - and I don't think many people were too enthralled by that implementation. The alpha build removed the annoying bobbing and replaced it with static images, which honestly was enough to salvage things, as far as I'm concerned. Without the bobbing, I wasn't bothered by the combat turning in the slightest.

In fact, my only major complaint about the character models was your dwarven adventurer. He looked less like a normal ale-loving tunnel-digging bearded lad and more like a White Walker reject or some weird misshapen demon. I don't know if this was just a placeholder model or what, but it looked absolutely gnarly.

Unlike the poor dwarves, the exploration looked quite promising. There was a cog puzzle you had to solve in order to open a door, a set of runes on a wall you had to match with a code lock, and a cracked wall you had to break by singing in its general vicinity. And even though none of these tasks were particularly taxing on the old noggin, that's only to be expected from a condensed early preview.

If we extrapolate from there, what we get is a dungeon crawler with a decent variety of tasks, puzzles, and activities. A game that doesn't hold your hand too much and allows you to miss stuff if you aren't attentive enough.

Of special note there, are the so-called puzzle weapons. These elven artifacts have hidden powers you obtain by fiddling around with their models in a 3D environment, solving riddles and puzzles, and performing various combat challenges. If I'm being honest, figuring out how to unlock the full potential of an ancient elven longsword was probably my favorite part of the entire alpha. And the best thing about it was that if you got something wrong, instead of becoming stronger, the weapon got cursed, making you think twice before trying to brute-force your way to power.

However, don't let this ability to fail make you think that this game is some tough as nails old-school dungeon crawler where each tile is a death trap and you're constantly fighting for your life. If anything, the fourth installment of The Bard's Tale looks to me more like a dungeon jogger, an inventive and easy on the eye mix of Legend of Grimrock and Might & Magic X. At least that's the impression I got from it.

A Matter of Thrust

For the purposes of the alpha, your party of adventurers consisted of a dwarven fighter, an elven spellcaster, and a human-looking Baed bard. These characters had their own unique skills, weapon and armor proficiencies, and racial bonuses. The primary attributes present in the alpha were Strength, Intelligence and Constitution. I don't know if there are any plans to add more attributes for the full release, but I do have to say that I found it odd how Armor Class and Spell Points were considered attributes by the character sheet, so perhaps we'll see Dexterity and Luck replacing them at some point in the future.

It's also important to note that the three adventurers available in the alpha weren't a full party. According to one of the Kickstarter updates, the game will let us recruit a party of up to six adventurers and have summons take that number up to eight, the maximum number of units supported by the game's 4x4 combat grid.

You get two rows of four slots and so do your enemies, which means that large-scale battles are out of the question. To get around this, the developers have come up with a system where battles happen in waves. The alpha's battles had up to three waves, which significantly increased the potential number of opponents you could face before being able to catch a breath. It's not exactly fighting hundreds of Berserkers at once, but if the final moments of the alpha meant anything, that iconic fight might still make an appearance, if only as an Easter Egg of some sort.

Your tools for dealing with your enemies include up to five active skills per adventurer, a variety of attacks with different targeting patterns, three distinct damage types, and an assortment of consumables.

The alpha didn't give me a good enough feel for how you gain the active skills, but it involves mastering them over time by using particular weapons, or something along those lines. The consumables are a bit simpler - they go in the trinket slot, which allows you to use them in combat.

The remaining equipment slots include helmets, armors, boots, and weapons. And while the helmets and armors present in the alpha gave you some nice attribute bonuses or made you more resistant to damage, the boots were particularly interesting, since they provided additional mobility options.

The alpha also had some lockpicks, torches, health-restoring foods, books, and elven gemstones, but you didn't really get to use them. Same with crafting. The crafting menu was present and accounted for and it looked competent enough, but I didn't find enough materials to put anything together. Still, it's nice to know that these features are being worked on.

Now, back to combat. The three damage types currently in the game are physical, mental, and true. Physical damage is the most basic type and is reduced by armor. Mental damage ignores armor and interrupts channeling abilities that take multiple turns to use but gets blocked by the channeling focus bar. And true damage just doesn't care and goes through everything.

The turn-based system is quite a curious one. Instead of characters having initiative scores or something along those lines, you have Opportunity and Spell Points. Spellcasters and bards use the latter to cast their spells, while the former is a common pool for your entire party. In the alpha, my party had a total of four Opportunity points, with each non-magic attack or move, regardless of which character took it, using up one. Again, because it was an alpha, it was pretty much impossible to lose in combat, but despite that, I could see the tactical potential of this system and now can't wait to get my hands on the full thing.

And of course, this preview wouldn't be complete without me mentioning the combat animations. While for the most part they aren't too slow, some of them exist solely to add flavor to the combat, elongating it for no good reason. Because of that, some animation speed options for the full version would be welcome, along with maybe an optional animation-less teleporting units mode.

Conclusion

Overall, I was fairly impressed by the alpha. It was just a small taste of what the full game will have to offer, an amuse-bouche if you like, but it certainly did its job - it made me want to play more of The Bard's Tale IV. And sure, the UI still needs a lot of work, the character models could do with a bit of an overhaul, and the tile-based movement is yet to be implemented, but if you treat the alpha as just one piece of the puzzle and use it to imagine all the other pieces, then you've got yourself a game. A game that bears little resemblance to its venerable predecessors, perhaps, but hopefully ends up preserving some of their spirit. And if we're lucky, offers an enjoyable and challenging dungeon crawling experience in the process.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom