Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I choose "you are dumb".

Those are completely different things, and I choose them both.

It's like saying you can't enjoy reading a book if you can't also watch unskipable cutscenes and company logos.

comparing an attack and hit animation to a cutscene is a whole new level of retarded.

OMG, games are animated, what a waste of time.

But ofc, extreme autists only orient themselves by boxes and labels. "This is an RtwP game, it's totally ok to have hit animations. A blobber may not have animation, not even in the year 2090. This is just wrong."

FeelTheRads

Arcane
No, your comparison was retarded, I gave you an a similarly retarded analogy.

Having to wait through shity animations because the developers are dumbfuck incompetents has absolutely nothing to do with taking your time to think your moves. Only an imbecile would think that.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
No, your comparison was retarded, I gave you an a similarly retarded analogy.

Having to wait through shity animations because the developers are dumbfuck incompetents has absolutely nothing to do with taking your time to think your moves. Only an imbecile would think that.

time has nothing to do with time, extreme logic fail detected

you can spend time to think about your moves but a few seconds of animation make everything go to shit :lol:

Wizardry 8. Blobber. Actually does it worse because you don't even see a swing animation, you only see the monster getting hit. Basically the worst of both worlds. Are people complainig about it? No.

And yes I know there's a speed mod, it's primary function is to make the monsters move faster towards your party though, because that is what took a long fucking time.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
They said at the kickstarter they had tricks like "decoupled animations and effects" (or sth like that) to make fast combat happen. This actually sounded great and reasonable. But now it looks like we need to wait for every cheesy animation to complete before taking our next action... might be slower than Wiz8
:deadhorse:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
@[citation needed]

https://bardstale.inxile-entertainment.com/game/combat

To keep combat quick, we are employing tricks like decoupling the animations from your input. What this means is that the game will feel like you have direct control over the proceedings of combat, without needing to wait for animations to play as you command your party.

(I remembered this statement also, because I heard it in an interview with Fargo. Won't search for that though)

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
time has nothing to do with time, extreme logic fail detected

I don't think you can comprehend logic.

In fact, your imbecilic comparison defies any kind of logic.

Yes, it's about time vs time. :lol: Cool stuff, bro

you complain about "having to wait". For a number of seconds, but anyways.

you say you take your time to think through your turn.

You can expect a lot fewer attack animations in a turn based game than in real time, because attacks will be much more impactful (at least potentially).

Unless you can make an argument for why waiting for a few seconds for the animation to play out, the imbecile here is clearly you.

It's been well established by now that combat density won't be nearly as high as in the older games. If you've "lost" 15 minutes of your lifetime at the end of the game due to animations, only on the Kodex is that a reason to shit on a game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I choose "you are dumb".

It's like saying you can't enjoy reading a book if you can't also watch unskipable cutscenes and company logos.

comparing an attack and hit animation to a cutscene is a whole new level of retarded.

In a turn based game with a lot of combat where you can expect to go through 100+ fights, some of which are likely trash mobs that require little tactics, it bloody damn well matters how long the goddamn animations last.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I choose "you are dumb".

In a turn based game with a lot of combat where you can expect to go through 100+ fights, some of which are likely trash mobs that require little tactics, it bloody damn well matters how long the goddamn animations last.

Are you fucking shitting me? You're claiming you can expect more combat in a turn based game than a real time one?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Wizardry 8. Blobber. Actually does it worse because you don't even see a swing animation, you only see the monster getting hit. Basically the worst of both worlds. Are people complainig about it? No.

How is that bad? It's fucking awesome and the way a blobber should go. Animations have a place in isometric RPGs like ToEE where you, you know, actually see your characters. Blobbers are already a huge abstraction where your party of 6 dudes or dudettes is represented by a floating camera.

Blobbers where there is no swing animation, just a *swish* sound and damage numbers popping up, is the best way to do blobber combat.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I choose "you are dumb".

Are you fucking shitting me? You're claiming you can expect more combat in a turn based game than a real time one?

Have you ever actually played any of the old Bard's Tale games? Because it doesn't sound like you actually played any of the old Bard's Tale games.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

How is that bad? It's fucking awesome and the way a blobber should go. Animations have a place in isometric RPGs like ToEE where you, you know, actually see your characters. Blobbers are already a huge abstraction where your party of 6 dudes or dudettes is represented by a floating camera.

Blobbers where there is no swing animation, just a *swish* sound and damage numbers popping up, is the best way to do blobber combat.

dude learn2read

I said there IS animation, it's just the hit animation. That is, you have to wait for the monsters to stop wiggling. If I saw the swing at about the same time with a few nanoseconds between it and the monster starting to wiggle, it would make 0 fucking difference, except for coherency. If you've got animation in your game, better apply some of it to the characters.

Also I don't know if that's another case of reading comprehension or if you're moving the goal posts here. I didn't say that it doesn't matter how long the animation lasts (which would be ridiculous), I'm saying having animation at all is not nearly the detriment it's made out to be here.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I choose "you are dumb".

Have you ever actually played any of the old Bard's Tale games? Because it doesn't sound like you actually played any of the old Bard's Tale games.

This is not an 80's DOS game. I repeat. This is not an 80's DOS game.

Have you ever read any of the updates?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Still, this is a blobber and character animations are entirely unnecessary since - as I already mentioned - your party is abstracted as an inseperable blob of floating camera anyway.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Still, this is a blobber and character animations are entirely unnecessary since - as I already mentioned - your party is abstracted as an inseperable blob of floating camera anyway.

ah, the "detail X is unnecessary because abstraction" meme.

Reductionism at its best, go play some Ultima II or something. Who even needs anything except the faint outline of a corridor and some screeching coming out of my PC speaker?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Nice strawman my nig.

I'm not complaining about the 3D graphics which look pretty decent, just about unnecessary stuff that most blobbers don't do, isn't required at all for blobbers, and requires some devlopment time - even if only a little - that could be better spent elsewhere.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Nice strawman my nig.

I'm not complaining about the 3D graphics which look pretty decent, just about unnecessary stuff that most blobbers don't do, isn't required at all for blobbers, and requires some devlopment time - even if only a little - that could be better spent elsewhere.

How much of the audience would agree to that line of thinking, that something that doesn't take a huge amount of time and is the standard in gaming is unnecessary here because it wasn't like that in muh 80's?

Also you're dodging the question, what IS necessary in a blobber? You already said you don't mind the "graphics", well pal, monsters also have moving animations, or would you like to be approached by some static pictures?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Monsters having graphics and movement animations is fine. Monsters had animations as far back as the old Might and Magics! It's just the player's party that doesn't need any kind of animations and where, honestly, I actually find it more immersive when there isn't any sword swinging forth from the screen because being a moving blob is already a level of abstraction that wouldn't fit with something like detailed fighting animations.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Monsters having graphics and movement animations is fine. Monsters had animations as far back as the old Might and Magics! It's just the player's party that doesn't need any kind of animations and where, honestly, I actually find it more immersive when there isn't any sword swinging forth from the screen because being a moving blob is already a level of abstraction that wouldn't fit with something like detailed fighting animations.

Things that were there in the 80's and that I liked are fine, even though this is not a retro indie game. I really don't know why they didn't include JarlFrank's arbitrary preferences in the design documents. You should have done some consulting work for them.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Yeah, the criticism is about the shitty UI puppet animations of the player party, and not the ones of the enemies in the 3d world. These "animations" are obsolete, distracting, mostly likely become annoying after the second battle. If we have to wait for this "wiggling" to finish before taking our next action, then it's even worse.

I have nothing against visual attack effects though, as I considered them "decoupled" (by their wording) and assumed they could dynamically change the speed of these effects according to the player's wish. However I'm not sure if these "animated" wiggling flipping puppets are "decoupled" as well. If not, they might stretch the overall combat length a lot.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Bros you are the people who enjoyed the Infinity Engine games, right?

Those games where your characters could be wagging their little sticks at the enemies for minutes before someone dropped dead on the lower levels, right?

I mean those animations looked like ass, as if two epileptics were throwing their feces at each other, and could go on forever, but that's just par for the course, m i rite?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom