Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Banner Saga

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the last one choice you get to make.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Would't development time and plot lines eventually spiral out of control having to deal with all the events and optional deaths that occurred in previous chapters?

e.g having to write events and dialogue for characters that very well may have died 3 chapters ago for the majority of players

... I can't say, but I would imagine not since most characters are inessential to the critical path.

Stompa

Arcane
Would't development time and plot lines eventually spiral out of control having to deal with all the events and optional deaths that occurred in previous chapters?

e.g having to write events and dialogue for characters that very well may have died 3 chapters ago for the majority of players

Given that most characters who can die\leave barely have anything to say, it wouldn't be much of a problem, they can just write a short dialogue for them and leave it at that. The big things I could see affecting stuff would be sending Ludin away, deciding what to do with the bridge, Egil's whole path and the choice at the end.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Thoroughly enjoyed this game, would recommend it to those on the fence.

Combat is solid (would like more enemy variety though, found the strength system really neat), story is fine (not exceptional or deep, but I think it is a pretty good world gone to pot story, and the art/events that happen reinforce that the world is ending as you play, also the characters are fairly interesting, though I do wish there was a bit more interaction going on), and the C&C seems to be there (there is at least one instance in particular that I think is particularly well done, it is set in motion by decisions made long before the event, and then you just have to deal with the mess on hand).

Edit: And I really liked the art style. Very visually appealing game. Nice music too.

oscar

Arcane
Playing Blackguards now I actually quite miss Banner Saga's strength system.

Stabwound

Arcane
What makes me butthurt is that the devs were all over this place while they were promoting the kickstarter campaign, promising things left and right. They even said they'd add equipment and player inventories if they got enough money. But they got an orchestrated soundtrack instead. :roll:

For whatever the game is, it's nothing compared to most console SRPG games. Even the C&C is totally random just like every other Bioware game. I may be wrong, but from what I've seen there is just one right answer and the rest are wrong.

Plus the combat is just basic compared to other SRPGs. It's like checkers vs. chess: it looks vaguely the same if you don't know what you're looking at, but there is a world of difference between the two. And TBS is checkers, obviously.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Yeah, agree with most(some?), that the game is entertaining and good(7.5/10 good), but lacking in a lot of areas which become apparent the more one plays. It feels like a tablet game more than anything. There's just not much there in the end. Almost no complexity. Once one gets past learning the (simplistic) combat system, it just comes down to hitting the leave/rest button a few times to juggle morale and assigning a couple trinkets that don't vastly change how one approaches combat......all the while enjoying the nice art(could have been better character models) and great music. The overall atmosphere is also excellent. The dialogue is a mixed bag of serviceable, decent, and atrocious(with blatant typos). The overall story arc is pretty standard "end of the world", with a lot of situations and events dragged from familiar ideas. There is nothing terribly ground breaking in any aspect, but as a whole the experience is definitely enjoyable. The "King of Dragon Pass" vibe is very strong. In the end, it left me wanting there to be more to almost every aspect, except the music/art, and for a game that is very unfortunate.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any info on an update with subtitles?
Yes. They're in now, wiith the first patch.

• Added options for subtitles. Click the button with the Close Captioning 'CC' logo on the Options page.
• Added missing Kickstarter backer names to credits
• Backer Crests that missed the initial deadline have been incorporated into the game.
• Challenge Achievement can now be gained, despite Iver losing a battle to Bellower
• Fix issue where ranked up units are unable to use their rank 2 & 3 abilites after loading from a save game
• Fix issue where bad save game files prevented the start menu from displaying.
• Numpad keys are now supported for Conversation option (1,2,3,...) and continue (SPACE, ENTER) hotkeys.
• Numpad keys are now supported for combat hotkeys (1,2,3,4)
• Fixed achievement names of Eagle Eye and Siege Archer
• Dredge Slag Slinger Backoff can now trigger at most once per turn. This addresses problems when Rook's Mark Prey ability is used on a Dredge Slag Slinger when multiple allies can hit it.
• Slingers that get hit while running away will now resume running away after their damage reaction animation completes

Story spoilers below.

• Silver Arrow in Bellower fight now longer requires Willpower to use
• Travel HUD no longer permanently disappears after Einartoft due to certain choices
• More supplies and renown increased throughout Chapter 6
• Nid no longer gains the incorrect number of points to spend on rank up
• Ekkill no longer appears incorrectly in certain events if he is left behind
• Iver is no longer required in the party after Einartoft when making certain choices.
• Fixed an error where Fasolt would stay with the party after Einartoft in certain branches.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Just finished the game on hard difficulty. Man, I hated the final fight. Had to restart it about 10 times before I figured out a proper tactic to win it.
My first playtrough on normal was nowhere near as frustrating, and I breezed through the final fight without reloads.

As to the rest of the game in hard difficulty, in some ways I found it easier. Might be because I'd just completed the game and knew the ins and outs.

I enjoyed the game. :salute: Any game that I want to complete more than once gets my "approved" stamp.

Castanova

Prophet
I stopped playing this game after about 5 hours. At first I really enjoyed it -- I thought the atmosphere was good, the little CYOA segments were sort of interesting, and I thought the combat had potential. However, the game never really evolves. You just continue on your travels, doing more CYOAs with seemingly random results, and the combat is the same as it was at the very beginning except now you have more points and so do the enemies. Inventory system is shallow. The game just got really boring for me. I have no drive to see what happens next.

I guess I'll try Blackguards next.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Not really. Game is just short (8-10 hrs or so). It isn't a bad base, as long as any future installments try to add depth to the existing mechanics and just generally more.

FuelBlooded

Scholar
Just finished the game.
There were some really stupid twists out of nowhere literally.

There were some dictionary flaws in the dialog like - physically, creepy, etc - modern words which shouldn't be apparent in this age.

Where do I find the save files? I know I can't save anytime but I want to keep my save for the next episode. And I'm pretty sure if I start a new game it will overwrite it.

Stompa

Arcane
Where do I find the save files? I know I can't save anytime but I want to keep my save for the next episode. And I'm pretty sure if I start a new game it will overwrite it.

/Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming/TheBannerSaga/Local Store/save/

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I like this a lot more than SRR. It has butt rapingly difficuly combat, though the rest is confusing the hell out of me. Tbh I still haven't figured out where the caravan is going and why. I am guessing through the conversations, they might as well be written in Chinese.

It reminds me a lot of Cinemaware games like "Sinbad", which were just as confusing and yet you still wanted to play on.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I like this a lot more than SRR. It has butt rapingly difficuly combat, though the rest is confusing the hell out of me. Tbh I still haven't figured out where the caravan is going and why. I am guessing through the conversations, they might as well be written in Chinese.

It reminds me a lot of Cinemaware games like "Sinbad", which were just as confusing and yet you still wanted to play on.

I had some problems with the whole goal thing too since the map isnt presented in a way that easily shows cities or any other man made landmarks - not easy to locate them - but you are told about your final goal during conversations...

Burning Bridges

I have started over and try to take notes of everything, if that's the only way of keeping up with the story.

And I understand now there is no real real purpose on the outset, caravan simply goes to Grofheim because that is your capital.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have started over and try to take notes of everything, if that's the only way of keeping up with the story.

And I understand now there is no real real purpose on the outset, caravan simply goes to Grofheim because that is your capital.

No. The old dude is collecting taxes and tithes for the giant King so of course he will ultimately return to the capital where the king resides to give him back what he collected. This is established in the prologue. But then he meets the group traveling with he human prince who serves as an ambassador on a cultural exchange visit (courtesy call). Since the tax collector has to return anyway he goes with the prince and the rest. Do you even read.

Burning Bridges

Yours is the long version, but they go there because it's the capital. Sorry but it was not clear on my first game, when I thought I could skim the dialog.

An no, I am really not a good reader. I read fast but always have problems remembering names and places. Also this game requires a lot of old vocabulary, for example I didn't know what "tithe" means.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tithe isn't "old vocabulary." English not your first language?

J1M

Arcane
Any info on an update with subtitles?
Yes. They're in now, wiith the first patch.

• Added options for subtitles. Click the button with the Close Captioning 'CC' logo on the Options page.
• Added missing Kickstarter backer names to credits
• Backer Crests that missed the initial deadline have been incorporated into the game.
• Challenge Achievement can now be gained, despite Iver losing a battle to Bellower
• Fix issue where ranked up units are unable to use their rank 2 & 3 abilites after loading from a save game
• Fix issue where bad save game files prevented the start menu from displaying.
• Numpad keys are now supported for Conversation option (1,2,3,...) and continue (SPACE, ENTER) hotkeys.
• Numpad keys are now supported for combat hotkeys (1,2,3,4)
• Fixed achievement names of Eagle Eye and Siege Archer
• Dredge Slag Slinger Backoff can now trigger at most once per turn. This addresses problems when Rook's Mark Prey ability is used on a Dredge Slag Slinger when multiple allies can hit it.
• Slingers that get hit while running away will now resume running away after their damage reaction animation completes

Story spoilers below.

• Silver Arrow in Bellower fight now longer requires Willpower to use
• Travel HUD no longer permanently disappears after Einartoft due to certain choices
• More supplies and renown increased throughout Chapter 6
• Nid no longer gains the incorrect number of points to spend on rank up
• Ekkill no longer appears incorrectly in certain events if he is left behind
• Iver is no longer required in the party after Einartoft when making certain choices.
• Fixed an error where Fasolt would stay with the party after Einartoft in certain branches.
Did they patch the DRM-free version on GOG too? Or do those users need to wait an extra two weeks like they did for the game's release?

Also, any word on if it works with existing saves? I don't want to buy this on GOG to find that it is unpatched and that I have to start over next week.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom