Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Banner Saga 3

Doma

Augur
Oh dear. Obsidian must be pissed, they were probably about to launch PoE2 on Fig on Thursday, and now BS3 comes completely out of nowhere asking money from basically the same group of people.

Indeed! Stoic probably rushed this out as quick as possible. Thats why it seems to have come out of nowhere. Obsidian must be sad that they went with a weeks long "hype-campagin".

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is in their FAQ :lol:

r7ime4d.png

That full-time community relations guy is working wonders! :lol:
:dead:
Reminds me of some stunts Bioware PR pulled back in the day.
Guess that's what you should expect from a company run by former Bio employees.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
However IMHO the main problem for the 1st game was that the story had absolutely no closure. The ending came out of nowhere and it was abrupt. No lore was explained and they forced you to kill one of your main characters (edgy stuff which now bites them in the ass).

You cannot build a franchise when you are not able to pull off at least a partially satisfying ending for the 1st game.
Wasn't the game originally pitched as three Telltale-like chapters, not three full games? Seems like a case of Double Fine-ism, where they got too much money, went crazy with the scope and fucked it up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/the-banner-saga

... anyone who pledges $50 and up will receive all three parts of the trilogy: the full game!

It's a episodic trilogy :)

Edit:

The Banner Saga as it exists in this Kickstarter will be a complete story in its own right. In terms of a larger story arc, it represents the first part of a three-part trilogy that has already been planned out. We don't yet have a timeline for the full trilogy, as our first priority is to complete Chapter 1 of The Banner Saga and see where that takes us!

Our goal is that when all chapters are complete, each game will both stand on their own, AND form a fantastic and cohesive whole, like any great series of books, movies, or games.

Chapter 1 of the game will not be a short 2-hour fling. Depending on how much we raise during this campaign the length of the game will vary.

The decisions you make and characters you build in Chapter 1 of the game will carry over into the other chapters of the game.

Why not just make one complete game from the start? Developing all three parts of the game could take some time and as an indie developer we can't afford to fund a 2-year development cycle. We decided to make it into a trilogy to keep people interested in the game and get it to players sooner.

We've just recently decided to give the full 3-part game away to anyone who donates (or has already donated) $50 or more to the campaign. It's our thanks for making this campaign such an amazing success!

They talked about 3 games from the beginning but as you see - it's hard to understand wtf did they mean. You understand what you want.

There is a small difference between them and Double Fine - these guys release a somewhat decent game. The problem is that they refused to provide a conclusion to the story - they botched the ending for both games in hope that people will remain interested. Which didn't happen as the sales figures show. I don't know if this is a case of greediness or incompetence ... although based on their past experience I think it's a case of the former.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Backed
What the hell, it is only $20 bucks and I rather pledge this to help a developer than go tomorrow to watch Assassins Creed... back one pirate the other
:M

sser

Arcane
Developer
The Kickstarter was a given if you've listened to anything the studio has said recently. BS2 bombed like hell and their production costs have spiraled out of control. Not only did they talk about going back to Kickstarter, but also picking up publishing help.

Basically, BS3 is an enormous anchor and they desperately want it out the door while hoping it doesn't destroy the team in the process.

Lostpleb

Learned
It's pretty clear that all of their efforts went into the first game. I mean, if I was still an impressionable teenager with an Ipod fetish, I would probably be pretty excited about the sequel, but it feels like Stoic is strapped down by a mental blockade preventing their steam of ideas down the river, so I can't possibly enjoy a third slice of the same damn old crusty pie even if I meant to fish there in the first place.

:discohitler:

I backed the game Stoic did nothing wrong

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Stunts like what?

yrjVQnR.jpg

DheyFdo.jpg

RA8Yu3A.png

Remember them, and what they were famous for?
Bioware gave us many great memes.

And they kept on giving too - even after they left Bioware. Remember that one time when Chris Priestly was so competent at his new job as a CDPR US community manager they had to make him retract his statements and issue an apology?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/banner-saga-3/posts/1791240

Mid-Day Update
Posted by Zeb L. West

Holy smokes! What a start!

We’re only partway through the first day and we’ve already made more than twice as much we did on the first day of the Saga1 Kickstarter - at this rate, we’ll be releasing some awesome stretch goals very soon! We’ve got a list ready to go (ya know, just in case), but we’re keeping them secret until we meet our funding goal!

We have to say that the outpouring of love and encouragement in comments and on social media is truly humbling. We love making these games, and we’re so thankful that you want to see them get made.

As a small team, we’re grateful for any help you can give to boost the signal - likes, shares, tweets and all enthusiastic hype are greatly appreciated while we try to make this goal!

We’ll keep updating, commenting and populating the FAQ with common questions, so speak up!

We’d also like to give a shout out to some fellow indie devs who share our love of norse mythology and hand-drawn animation. We first encountered Thunder Lotus with their viking adventure game Jotun, and they’re now developing their epic follow-up, Sundered - check them out!

552b6681ed952866d536261d633adcb7_original.png

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
They are only asking for $200,000 no? That seems pretty feasible and even with stretch goals I dont see them making more than $400k anyway

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DEEP LORE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/banner-saga-3/posts/1791341 (spoilers, actually)

Who Are The Ravens?

This is the first of several planned Kickstarter updates that will provide you with some deep insight into the lore of the Banner Saga. These updates will be free of spoilers for Banner Saga 3, but will sometimes assume that you have finished playing Banner Saga 1 and 2. In those cases, a spoiler alert banner will be prominently featured. Enjoy!

Who Are The Ravens?

Six menacing shapes approached. On either side, two were clearly varl. Olaf’s eyes narrowed as he examined them. “Do we know them?”

Ulfvalgr shook his head. “No. But that pinion the one on the right is wearing… that’s a Raven mercenary.”

“Bolverk’s group?” Stefnir recognized a tinge of concern in Olaf’s voice. “You don’t think…?”

“No.” Ulfvalgr grunted. “He must have been kicked out or left the Ravens. I doubt Bolverk would have the patience for this tournament. That varl and his ilk live for war, not just fights…”

-- The Gift of Hadrborg, James Fadeley (@JamesFadeley)

0af7b52e13468c44ab12259758c76904_original.png

The Ravens are a mercenary company that have played a major role in the Saga since the fall of Boersgard. The governor of that doomed city hired Bolverk Bloodaxe, the leader of the Ravens, to keep order during the siege of dredge, and more practically to protect the unpopular governor from the wrath of his people.

bd17bc80146b7c33af5a428ba857bf85_original.gif

As the situation in the city became more dire, Bolverk and the Ravens were responsible for dismantling structures around the docks and hastily constructing makeshift boats to flee the city. The citizens realized they were being left behind, and rioted. Bolverk showed the cool willingness of a hired mercenary to put down the insurrection with easy violence.

After the heroes of the Banner Saga defeated the Sundr Bellower, the city remained in grave danger. The surviving heroes gathered refugees onto the ships, including the company of Ravens and the Governor of Boersgard. The hastily constructed fleet then fled downriver, hoping to take refuge in the distant human capital, Arberrang.

Traveling under a distinctive black banner, the Ravens are merciless and often cruel, considering their oath the one unbreakable rule. The company has a reputation for complete reliability, and is willing to do anything necessary to fulfil their contracts. The ranks of the the company are often filled with wanted criminals and ruthless cutthroats, and their leader, Bolverk, is a deadly berserker for whom violence is second nature. The iconoclastic leader commands unshakeable respect from his troops.

Bolverk believes that unlike his Varl brethren, who are the product of a divine merger between Yox and Man, he is part man, part bear. To further assume the role, Bolverk wears a thick bear skin on his back at all times, and broke off his horns in defiance of his yoxen heritage.

Bolverk's second in command is a shieldmaiden known as Folka, a powerful warrior whose clear thinking and tactical prowess functions as a crucial counterpoint to Bolverk's rage-driven battle style. Folka is the only human to ever stand up to Bolverk, and the only human to ever earn his respect and trust.

Our friend Nika Harper (@NikaHarper) has written a 4-part story about the origins of Folka, and you can read it here: http://bannersaga.com/folka

The saga details several other members of the Ravens, including Sigbjorn. A warhawk like Gunnulf, Sigbjorn was sent from Boersgard to the village of Reynivik to recover a stock of valuable mead. When we first meet Sigbjorn, we find him drunk and under siege himself, a contingent of dredge assaulting the meadhouse of Reynivik.

Another member of the Ravens is Sparr, a Skald who has been with the company longer than any other human. Through his wit, poetry, and music, Sparr enhances the prowess of the Ravens in distinctive and numerous ways.

Possibly through Sparr's influence, the Ravens themselves take an interesting approach to music in general. For the Ravens, singing and chanting is seen as a purely martial art. Unlike most of the other characters in the saga, who break into song at each godstone, and during camp, the Ravens only sing when they engage in battle. These chants were sung by the inestimable Icelandic musical group Árstíðir (@arstidir), and the songs that contain them can be heard on the Banner Saga 2 Original Soundtrack, for example on these tracks:

Blades Yearn For Courageous Blood

With Eyes To The Endless Sun

Banner Saga music video they produced.

When composing the soundtrack of the Banner Saga, Austin Wintory created a distinctive musical arc for the Ravens. When the Ravens depart with Juno's box under their black banner from the ruins of Ormsdalr, they forge new paths into their own musical themes.

Some examples of Ravens-specific themes can be found on these tracks:

It is through the point of view of Bolverk and the Ravens that the Saga first reveals the coming darkness. It is Bolverk who opens Juno's box to discover the secrets therein, and over time whose mind becomes increasingly agitated and twisted by nightmarish visions.

After Bolverk turns on the caravan, he awakens dark and dangerous power. The rest of the Ravens have departed with Juno, but what fate awaits us all when Bolverk reappears? What crucial role do the Ravens have yet to play in the third and final part of the Banner Saga?

In the meantime, please download and enjoy these wallpapers of Arnie Jorgensen's amazing Ravens-themed sleeve from the Banner Saga 2 Double-LP album:

You can each really help us reach our potential by sharing this Kickstarter campaign with your friends.

And don't forget to:

Before you go, please check out UnDungeon, an action/roguelike/RPG game with a dynamic fighting system, charismatic characters with tons of quests, and lovely pixel graphics. They are live on Kickstarter now, and would appreciate your support!

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I wonder if they considered just making an hour long animated series finale instead ...

J1M

Arcane
On one hand it's great these guys left a big corporation and started working for themselves. On the other, is what they made.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
They are only asking for $200,000 no? That seems pretty feasible and even with stretch goals I dont see them making more than $400k anyway
It was a jab at this line from John Watson: "That would have worked, but you're paying back quite a bit. The Banner Saga 3 is probably gonna cost about $2 million to make - that's a lot. So maybe we could get $500,000, but when you get investment you're basically paying it back 3x... That means when we sell The Banner Saga 3 $1 million of extra money goes away [to the investors], as well as giving back the $500k. That would take the pressure off us for sure, a little bit. We would each de-leverage ourselves by $250,000, but when the game ships we're paying back an extra $1 million.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I mean, it didn't get funded in 24 hours or anything, but it's trending decently. Sadly no inclusion of stretch goals yet probably confirms KS really was a rushed job everyone suspects it to be.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I mean, it didn't get funded in 24 hours or anything, but it's trending decently. Sadly no inclusion of stretch goals yet probably confirms KS really was a rushed job everyone suspects it to be.

That's a possibility, but stretch goals are usually announced when the main goal is either reached or pretty close to it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/banner-saga-3/posts/1792087

First Friday of the Campaign!

Holy cow, we're already 80% of the way there! We didn't know we'd be here this fast! Our gratitude to you is too great to properly express, but here's an attempt: Thank You!

c9ebb917937ca4408e63920633d43a48_original.gif

Right now we’re hustling to put together our first STRETCH GOAL that we're excited to announce soon. It's something you've been asking to see for a long time and we’ll roll it out when it’s fully baked!

Also, stay tuned to learn about the upgrades and modifications we have planned for our next UPDATE, 'the Combat of Banner Saga 3' from the Lead Designer himself, Matt Rhoades.

9fcd2a4e8f285560623b072b77f396d9_original.gif

We've made huge progress this week, but we still need support to reach our goal so please help spread the word! Share! Tweet!

Our friends over at Obsidian (who also have BioWare roots!) have just launched a campaign for a sequel to a game that NEEDS to get made, please check out their project here:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Right now we’re hustling to put together our first STRETCH GOAL that we're excited to announce soon. It's something you've been asking to see for a long time and we’ll roll it out when it’s fully baked!
I wonder what it could be?
Battle editor and/or PvP mode?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom