Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Banner Saga 2 officially announced

oscar

Arcane
The game itself was very entertaining, but simply way too damn short.

While it lasted I had an unashamedly good time though.

Loved the first one, and i'm eagerly awaiting the next chapter.
Does anyone know if they have added new tweaks to the gameplay?

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
The combat could have used more variety in abilities and terrain, but I honestly found it more consistently challenging in a well-balanced way than the other games I've gotten through Kickstarter (Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, D:OS). The "weaken enemies rather than kill them" aspect was odd, but at least it was different and provided challenge.

The music, art, and atmosphere were great too, of course. I fully admit I backed the game because it looked pretty. Too bad the story was just starting to get interesting when the game ended. It's about time they announced chapter 2. Hopefully they address some of the issues with the first one. Looking forward to it.

Copper

Savant
The combat could have used more variety in abilities and terrain, but I honestly found it more consistently challenging in a well-balanced way than the other games I've gotten through Kickstarter (Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, D:OS). The "weaken enemies rather than kill them" aspect was odd, but at least it was different and provided challenge.

The music, art, and atmosphere were great too, of course. I fully admit I backed the game because it looked pretty. Too bad the story was just starting to get interesting when the game ended. It's about time they announced chapter 2. Hopefully they address some of the issues with the first one. Looking forward to it.

Agreed - I didn't find the combat that hard, once I got to grips with it, but it consistently punished bad decisions, and even level 5 characters could get wrecked easily if you're sloppy. Rook's branch was a let-down in the paucity of combat options it gave - well, especially if you don't hit a few random encounters or do the full bridge fight - it put too much attention on how light the caravan management side was.

Copper

Savant
I didn't mind the combat but I thought the strategical aspect of it was pretty retarded.

Yeah, there's pretty much no strategic management, with no reason not to just spend all your renown on leveling up and items, and no reason not to charge into battle (more xp and less casualties to the caravan) - i was curious what you'd make of the combat, since it has zero attacks of opportunity or similar, and the only way to stop fragile archers (or goddamn Menders) getting scragged was to block, maneuver and engage the enemy properly.

The real thing they should improve is more interesting battle grounds, with more diverse features - difficult terrain like river fords, areas that damage anyone standing on them at certain times (so knock back, etc are more useful) areas that give a bonus to armor or strength, mini-dungeons (The tower could have been this) or ground that is crumbling and breaking apart as you fight, throwing battle lines into disarray.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So is the sequel going to come out before the promised Linux version of the first?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom