Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Wow, you really are a newbie to BG2. And why are you asking these Qs on the Codex?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm thinking of doing a Cleric/Thief multiclass playthrough in the future and I have two questions. How good is that multiclass and what would be the best race? Gnome for the shorty saves and bonus to thieving skills or half-orc for the ridiculous physical attributes?

Damn, I thought you were a pro bro

Cleric/Thief is fine 'cause backstab is supar dupar cool and I'd probably go with Gnome 'cause I mean Gnomes are totally rad but half-orcs are objectively better at first especially when you get use any item. Later when stats get buffed to max Gnomes are better again but it's with a tiny margin

What version will you be playing? If you are using an L1NPC-compatible one and stacking difficulty mods you can defend easing the Cleric weapon restrictions. I often do with such combinations.

Last edited:

Citizen

Gnome C/T + staff of magi + sanctuary + invisibility + backstabs + various cleric spells + UAI = best candidate for solo non-reload playthrough. But you are going to have some hardtime before getting the staff.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm thinking of doing a Cleric/Thief multiclass playthrough in the future and I have two questions. How good is that multiclass and what would be the best race? Gnome for the shorty saves and bonus to thieving skills or half-orc for the ridiculous physical attributes?

Thieves can only backstab with thief weapons, and the only 2H thief weapon that a cleric can use is quarterstaff (and the only 1H thief weapon that clerics can use is club). It's not a huge issue since quarterstaves are top tier weapons in BG: EE and BG2: EE.

Another problem I can think of is that Cleric and Thief HLA's are kind of ass (besides Thief's UAD of course).

If you multiclass you wont be able to kit (unless you use a mod). Thief kits are pretty good so it might be worth it to play a human dual class cleric/ thief instead.

The final problem is are you going to be attacking or casting spells? Thief doesn't help if you're castinng spells, and if you're going to be fighting, then fighter/ thief is a better thief multiclass.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
When have I ever said I was a pro? I played BG1 for the first time 2 years ago, just before I joined the Codex, and only much later BG2. I've said that before. I don't have experience with all the classes and combinations. And where else would I ask such questions? The Beamdog forum lol?

Lilura, that's for Mage/Thief, though, I know how that plays :p

Lacrymas

Arcane
The wiki says very basic things that I know already, I need more juicy info. Like "is it viable at all?" and "gnome or half-orc?" lol. I suppose every class is viable, but if it's terrible compared to any other class, or even its dual-class, there's no point to playing it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Half-orc sounds good but it's EZ for clerics to buff physical stats to 25 so gnome is the better choice for the bonus to saves and thief skills. It's not really a power-gaming multi but you can do stuff like stealth while under the effect of Globe of Blades. You can also HLA assassinate with Righteous Magic, which is pretty cool.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's also the fact that gnomes have -1 WIS. I suppose it doesn't matter much when you have 3 tomes of understanding to get through. Both half-orc and gnome are cool, so I don't mind either in terms of "coolness". I predict that half-orc would be easier to start with because of 19 str, 19 con, but then the gnome will outperform half-orcs due to the shorty saves.

hell bovine

Arcane
The wiki says very basic things that I know already, I need more juicy info. Like "is it viable at all?" and "gnome or half-orc?" lol. I suppose every class is viable, but if it's terrible compared to any other class, or even its dual-class, there's no point to playing it.
Gnome. A bonus to saves is better than the cleric bonus spells, you'll max your strenght with draw upon holy might anyway.

Cleric/thief is a fun multiclass, imo. Sanctuary lets you steal with impunity, righteous magic gives your backstab that extra stab. ;) Late game staff of the ram combined with duhm and rm makes for a very nasty backstab, though most of ToB tough critters are immune. On the plus side, having access to mage scrolls through UAI really helps keeping a character alive in 'SCS & Ascension' land.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's a very weird bug with the EE where the game doesn't detect your actual alignment. My true neutral Druid/Fighter got the chaotic evil Bhaalspawn abilities and my current testing C/T neutral evil gnome is treated as if he's good alignment by Hull. Has anyone else noticed that? The only mods I have are SCS, NPC project and Fixpack (although I don't remember if I only used it to install SCS).

EDIT: I googled it and it turns out you get the bhaalspawn abilities based on your reputation. Which is weird because someone at the Ironworks forum has listed them as alignment powers. Sooo, conflicting information. That doesn't change the fact that Hull treats me as if I'm good alignment, though.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Might be because in BG2 your starting reputation (and therefore powers) was based on your alignement. Same as in BG1, but there you had enough time to change your rep before the first dream.

Hull's reaction is based on your charisma, from what I remember.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, you are right, it turns out it's from CHA rather than alignment. Good to know there's no bug.

Morkar Left

Creating a multiplayer session and exporting the chars in BG1 and importing them back in BG2?

Or play with BGT or EET of course.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The EEs have a functionality to create a custom party without creating a MP session, but I don't know if you can export and import them ALL. If all else fails you can recreate your custom party in BG2 and then change their stats to their appropriate values in Shadow/EEKeeper.

razvedchiki

Erudite
Guys the APR an archer gets through lvling and grandmastering also apply to crossbows?
So a lvl 13 archer with grandmaster in crossbows would have 3 attacks per round?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yes, but Tuigan shortbow will have 5 ApR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom