Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Look, Fallout > BG fo sho, but Glow/radiation situation is really bad example of ''peril of exploration''. What happens the first time you play the game is: you stumble into Glow teritorry, you realize that VD is heavily irradiated for the first time in the game and judging by the Pipboy can actually die. You go ''Shit!''. You reload the game from last save that was before Glow and either take RadX and go back or get the fuck out of there to get some or leave it for later. The next time you play the game you already have few packs of Radx and Radaways before even venturing that direction.

For purposes of having to be prepared for some danger, the rad-x and rad-away thing with the glow is not fundamentally different from the protection from petrification thing in BG. As already mentioned, you need those things in both cases to succeed in those areas, you can't get them locally, you might or might not already have them, so I really don't see how you can use that to show that Fallout is better in this respect.

Also, what's with using Fallout's time limit? Wasn't it removed by Black Isle in later versions of the game since pretty much everyone hated it? (I mean the one after you find the water chip)

Athelas

Arcane
Look, Fallout > BG fo sho, but Glow/radiation situation is really bad example of ''peril of exploration''. What happens the first time you play the game is: you stumble into Glow teritorry, you realize that VD is heavily irradiated for the first time in the game and judging by the Pipboy can actually die. You go ''Shit!''. You reload the game from last save that was before Glow and either take RadX and go back or get the fuck out of there to get some or leave it for later.
That seems very unlikely to me. It would be very hard to stumble on the Glow for a first time player, considering how out of the way it is situated, and I think first time players will tend to stick to world map locations they unlocked. First time players will likely go to the Glow in pursuit of the Brotherhood quest, in which case it's very much possible to prepare in advance for the radiation.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

First time players will likely go to the Glow in pursuit of the Brotherhood quest, in which case it's very much possible to prepare in advance for the radiation.
So, you are saying that most players would be told about the glow and where to find it, and you are warned the radiation (or you are flat out given some Rad-X for free if you have low int) when you are sent off to the Glow, so how is that better exploration exactly?

Also, that's like one of the only examples in fallout. BG has multiple basilisks, demons, spider filled forests etc that present far more of a hazard to the unprepared.

edit: I actually agree that fallout had the best exploration on the whole though.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I don't think i remember anyone imposed on VD that YOU SHOULD TAKE RAD PILLS OR U DIE even after being directed towards Glow. I think the way i described was actually my first experience with the place and because i didn't give a shit about radiation as even in places where it was it was mild, i probably had sold most of them rad packs. Or maybe i had some, but didn't take before entering territory anyway, because ''pffft, radiation lol''.

Anyhow, Fallout gots teh better explorushon not because places like Glow and its radiation, but because unlike BG, the world is interesting, NPCs are interesting, quests are interesting and finding new awesome rifle beats finding sword +3 with which you can upgrade your +2 one.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Not sure I agree with that. It didn't matter what rifle or gun in general that you used in Fallout 1, it only takes one shot to the eyes regardless of anything else.

On the other hand a +3 weapon was a big deal compared to +2, especially since it usually came with some ability beyond that.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
D&D weapons are simply boring even if you get bigger boost after finding the next tier shit. And no, i think there was a lot of great jumps in ''wow, awesome'' in both fallouts too. Likegetting FN Fal or Sniper rifle, or Gauss Rife/Bozar for the first time. Or even that fat looking pistol in F2 that you could buy in New Reno.
Anyhow, the more important part was the former (world, quests, NPCs). BG simply suck at that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
On the other hand, it's still quite tough to realize BG was released 17 years ago :negative:

But the bit about Morrowind is true, though: if you are failing, it's because you aren't reading the fucking manual. That doesn't excuse the Xvart Village from being one of the most boring encounters in the game, though.
And it is still better than all the games Draq loves

DraQ

Arcane
What you call failure to establish a consistent player contract most people would call a compromise between being sandboxy/open world and story-driven, and I really don't see the problem with it. As you yourself admit, lots of games do it, GTA games for example have large parts of the world closed off until you get to a certain point in the story.
Lots of games do all sorts of stupid things.
The problem with breaking the player-developer contract is that player is not allowed to form expectations regarding what they are allowed to do in game, what are the breaks from reality the game takes and so on. The game suffers as a result.

If you want to not let the player go somewhere either gate this place in some in-universe manner (like that bridge to BG city in BG itself, enemies requiring particular kind of equipment or ability to deal with, environmental hazards, etc.) or don't pretend your game is open world if you are to violate it on a whim.
Likewise, I really don't see the problem with abstractly adjacent zone maps. Yes, there are a few hours of traveling between some of them, but they are all thematically adjacent, so if one ends with mountains, the other will begin with mountains and so on. This gives it a sense of continuity. It's a bad idea to view those zones as points or locations of interest, because they are not, they represent the (scaled down for practical purposes) entirety of the world both with interesting things and with the space around them.
Again, the moment you offer player only selected locations you signal you're not interested in letting them go everywhere and that the locations you specifically chose are in some way interesting.
Basically, you're telling the player: "you're traveling through the nondescript wilderness when you stumble upon X" (and some BG locations do work like that).
Telling the player "you're traveling through the nondescript wilderness when you stumble upon more nondescript wilderness you need to experience in detail for some reason" just doesn't make sense.

Plus the way map is partitioned in BG effectively precludes exploration - locations are presented as adjacent on world map making world map exploration impossible (you autofind the next location the moment you reach the right border), locations being boxed in chunks with fog of war preclude player driven exploration in favor of mechanical fog clearing.

It is a self-evident fact that most people do not enjoy doing things when they are in a rush to do other things, I don't know what else I can add to that.
That:
  • What players do isn't always what they enjoy.
  • Game design isn't the matter of including all the things people like and throwing out all the things they don't. Sometimes you need things people don't like to make the whole experience more likeable.

Skill based failure:lol: you mean spam the cheapest spell you have to get your destruction skill to at least 50-70?Skilled as fuck
That's the matter of (poorly implemented) use-based character development, not skill based failure. Skill based failure for spells (and other things) is interesting and sensible mechanics.
Interesting because it introduces a tradeoff between reliability and power and ties it to character's stats. It can even be used to introduce critical failures like in Wizardry (or Fallouts).
Sensible because things like spellcasting are usually portrayed as inherently difficult, dangerous and requiring great deal of concentration - making it easy to fuck up catastrophically.

also calling someone a consoletard while being himself the biggest skyrim apologist on the board
Yes, playing a heavily modded game is a consoletard thing to do.
Even vanilla Skyrim is definitely a better game and possibly even a better cRPG than BG1.
With heavily modded Skyrim there can be no contest.
Deal with it.

You can still shit on Oblivion, modded or unmodded (from not so great height) as BG1 fan, if it's any consolation.

So much shit talking when it could be summarize with simple :
Bg combat > morrowind combat
Morrowind exploration > bg exploration
But it's not even this simple.

Combat is combination of systems, encounter design and AI:
  • both games have hilariously shit AI.
  • BG has a handful of nicely designed party encounters but the rest of its encounter design may be even worse than Morrowind's pretty nonexistent one. The question is whether a small handful of hand-placed party VS party encounters matters in a game where you constantly slaughter shit left and right.
  • Morrowind's systems are clunky and could use some changes, but they are sound in underlying design, have more depth than BG and I could easily imagine a properly designed encounter against properly designed AI being fun even with untouched MW's systems. BG's systems OTOH are a clusterfuck TB on RTWP graft with limited depth and fucked up control (due to RTWP and bandaid solutions like auto-unpause in inventory).
So in the end the best of BG1 combat is better, but the typical BG1 combat is marginally worse and the best means a small handful of encounters.

Wut. The lame ass ability puzzles
I don't mean ability puzzles.
I mean hidden stuff that isn't telegraphed in any way, some of which may require particular abilities to reach.
It works not that differently from things that could only be reached via levitation in Morrowind and serves the same purpose.

Hell, BG had numerous puzzles that were a lot more intricate, varried and interesting.
Care to list some?
Obviously explicit attempts at puzzles in Skyrim were cringe-worthy and the game would be better without them (I guess they would be tolerable as single shot puzzles even though they were retard friendly - one exception, I really enjoyed treasure maps, shame that they didn't lead to unique items), but I can't really remember any single example of a puzzle in BG1.

You can easily notice everything important or useful in Skyrim even if you are half way into a damn coma. And so what if you don't notice X chest with X randomly generated item of lameness?
If you don't notice a hidden artifact of power you can keep going too.
The part that matters is that you need to actively look for stuff and can miss it.
You, the guy in front of computer, not your mouse cursor.

Plus I don't claim in depth knowledge of vanilla Skyrim's loot placement generation, but on my first vanilla playthrough the only piece of dragonscale armor I found was from hidden chest.

No, BG had actual value to most of the exploration - be it in experience points, unique items, or interesting quests.
Perhaps, but it's the mouse cursor doing all the exploring. Not player.
In TES, be it MW or Skyrim, it's the player who explores the environment and asks questions like "Is it possible to get there? Is there anything there?", in BG player is just a device for clicking on black portions of the screen and sweeping the cursor across the uncovered areas in scanlines.

Edit: and dragon scale and bone may as well grow on trees in vanilla, wtf are you talking about? Just kill more dragons.
You need to grind crafting skills for that and yes, I know that crafting in vanilla Skyrim is broken. I prefer to spend my game time playing, though.

Better is subjective. Some people prefer highly packed content, others like to wander around and explore.
That's not the point.
The point is that
For the latter, BG1's method is better
is false and BG1 is bad for either.

As for the Glow vs Basilisks I don't really see the point of this discussion:
  • both are local hazards
  • both require specific protection that has to obtained somewhere else
  • both telegraph the kind of hazard player is about to encounter (basilisk area has a "garden" full of suspiciously lifelike "statues", The Glow is named *THE* fucking "Glow" in a post-nuclear-apocalypse game, if you fail to connect the dots in either case, you might be brain-dead)
Of course, Glow is a proper location and a cool dungeon, so it wins by default as far as exploration is concerned, but as far as hazards go both are equivalent.

empi

Augur
Draq said:
No, BG had actual value to most of the exploration - be it in experience points, unique items, or interesting quests.
In TES, be it MW or Skyrim, it's the player who explores the environment and asks questions like "Is it possible to get there? Is there anything there?", in BG player is just a device for clicking on black portions of the screen and sweeping the cursor across the uncovered areas in scanlines.

:hmmm:

DraQ

Arcane
Draq said:

Which part is inaccurate?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
When there are whole areas that have absolutely nothing interesting in them, then the game is boring and empty, like BG1. If you are able to enjoy something like that, that's cool, you can probably enjoy a lot more games than I can.
There is something in every area. Have you even played the actual game? There are certainly areas with only 1 or 2 interesting thigns in them, but no area is completely devoid. Unless we're gonna repeate the old and tired "oh but I don't consider that interesting"-game that you fucks do when I point out your lying about BG1.

AR0400 has nothing but a bunch of identical zombies and a farmer that asks you to kill them. AR2700 serves as a scene where Gorion dies, otherwise there's Xzar and Montaron standing next to the road and some pointless NPC with few lines of dialogue. 90% of the area is empty, save for a few wolves. AR2800 has Elminster greet you when you enter, then there's the Ogre with the tranny belt and some bandits. Otherwise it's just generic wolves and other wildlife dotted around. AR3000 has a wizard encounter, spider encounter and an NPC with a generic fetch quest, otherwise it's just trash mobs here and there. AR3800 has a Flaming Fist Mercenary that mistakes you for a bandit, otherwise it's just trash mobs.
So yes, every area has something interesting in it, even when you conveniently forget half of the content! You certainly deserve your Zionist Agent tag.

DraQ

Arcane
When there are whole areas that have absolutely nothing interesting in them, then the game is boring and empty, like BG1. If you are able to enjoy something like that, that's cool, you can probably enjoy a lot more games than I can.
There is something in every area. Have you even played the actual game? There are certainly areas with only 1 or 2 interesting thigns in them, but no area is completely devoid. Unless we're gonna repeate the old and tired "oh but I don't consider that interesting"-game that you fucks do when I point out your lying about BG1.
Could you kill some ogres for me?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I haven't lied anything about BG1, I guess we just have a very different ideas of what is interesting. Do you find every cell of Skyrim interesting? I mean, there are like generic wolves and bandits everywhere, kinda like BG1.

ar0400.jpg

Could you tell me what is interesting in this area? Z means identical zombies, 1 means farmer that asks you to kill said identical zombies and 2 is a house with a Cloak of Protection +1. Sure, you might say that the magical cloak is interesting, but I don't find a huge, empty area with one generic magic cloak hidden somewhere interesting.

ar4300.jpg

Could you tell me what is interesting about this area? M means a generic trash mob, 1 means a "Hobgoblin ambush" which is just a glorified expression for a trash mob (because there is nothing interesting or different about that fight, no special hobgoblins etc.) and 2 means a joke NPC that is promoting Neverwinter Nights.

Sheepherder

Augur
ar4300.jpg

Could you tell me what is interesting about this area? M means a generic trash mob, 1 means a "Hobgoblin ambush" which is just a glorified expression for a trash mob (because there is nothing interesting or different about that fight, no special hobgoblins etc.) and 2 means a joke NPC that is promoting Neverwinter Nights.

Wasn't there a Vampire Wolf top center and a hermit bottom center? Vampire Wolf was deffinetally an interesting fight, as my first time playing the only magical weapon I had was the +1 staff from Silke.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
It's interesting as a dungeon crawler, no doubt. I wont deny that i too enjoy nice exploration, where only novelty is finding new areas, monsters and loot. That's why i can derive some enjoyment even from TES games to a certain point, but much like with BG, it doesn't last long, because there is nothing besides that. Dialogues, NPCs and quests are more like chore to me, while in BiS or Troika games they are meat of the experience.

One thing that i was specially annoyed with BG is that all the interactions with NPCs are so goddamn verbose, while the writing and story behind them so bsb. Sometimes i simply skipped through the barrages of those generic walls of text just to click through all the dialogue options and get the quest, which i then looked up in journal. This is my main complain about Bioware. They are just as shit at creating interesting characters and story as Bethesda, but they insist on shoving torrents upon torrents of their redundant teenage level writing down our throats as if that makes the game moar deeyap, while i'd rather be killing another bunch of hobgoblins instead. Honestly, i prefer retarded brevity of TES games than shoveling through boring texts of Biotards, because exploration and combat in both cases are about the same or i'd even give slight preference to Beth.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Draq said:

Which part is inaccurate?
Exploring is exploring smartass, whether I click to go there or press a key to go there. I mean just read what you wrote.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Draq said:
In TES, be it MW or Skyrim, it's WSAD with mouse look.
:codexisfor:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well Draq is autistic about 3D vs 2D and everyone should know it, so he has that excuse going for him.

I haven't lied anything about BG1, I guess we just have a very different ideas of what is interesting. Do you find every cell of Skyrim interesting? I mean, there are like generic wolves and bandits everywhere, kinda like BG1.
Yeah and here we engage again in the oh so famous goal post shifting. You initially said that there are actual fucking empty areas in BG, with nothing but random monsters in it.

I stated that that's a lie and that every map has at least 1 or 2 interesting things, ie not just random monsters, in it.

You encounter with the same old tired bullshit about BUT THIS IS NOT INTERESTING TO ME PERSONALLY!!! claim when in reality you were just bullshitting hyperbole.

Yes, I do find a magical item interesting. Yes, I do find a quest interesting. Yes, I do find a hobgoblin ambush interesting - it's actually very possible to die at that place with a small party and running straight at them. Unlikely but possible.

Plus you forgot the ambushed caravan at the south AND you chose the two most bare maps in the game. Talk about disingenuous cherry-picking.

DraQ You are a very intelligent dude, but it's causing you to overthink certain things. Your whole thing with BG1 exploration is kinda like someone watching a bunch of people enjoy Van Gogh's Starry Night and then proceeding to tell them that it sucks or that they are not enjoying it because it lacks some underlying geometric principles or some philosophical rigor. It might fail your high standards, but the rest of us can still enjoy it.

As far as the BG1 annotated maps, a few points:

1) Those annotated maps do not necessarily show everything on each map. For example, the map next to Candlekeep was summed up as "AR2700 serves as a scene where Gorion dies, otherwise there's Xzar and Montaron standing next to the road and some pointless NPC with few lines of dialogue." There is a lot more going on in that map. There is the encounter where you meet Imoen and she can join up with you. There is a rich, spoiled noble who is emo-faking a suicide on the coastal cliffs. There is a guy on the road before Xzar and Montaron who has a few lines about the crisis and the woods. There is Gorion's and his assailants' bodies to find AFTER the night is over, with 2 relevant letters on them. There are several bears and wolves, which at that point are anything BUT a trash mob for your party, and some gibberlings too.

2) Everybody can cherry-pick certain maps to make their point. That first map used, north of Baldur's Gate is likely the most barren one in the game, since half of it is the river and the other part is cut off by the river into a small chunk. Of course someone else can pick a different set of maps with a lot more content. For example:

x_3600.jpg

3) Another point is that exploring the beautiful handpainted 2D graphics is enjoyable for some people as well, much in the same way that people enjoy viewing nature or paintings, so even when you are exploring this so-called "nothing" you are still discovering beautiful woods, mountains, cliffs, rivers, etc.

Bottom line is, BG1 exploration might not be for everyone, as it's simply too low-key and down to earth for some, but there are plenty who enjoy that sort of thing.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Yes, I do find a magical item interesting. Yes, I do find a quest interesting. Yes, I do find a hobgoblin ambush interesting - it's actually very possible to die at that place with a small party and running straight at them. Unlikely but possible.

There is absolutely no reason to continue this conversation when it ultimately boils down to the fact that you find "kill x amount of identical monsters" stuff interesting and I don't. I don't think you will be changing your opinion and I won't be changing mine.

You initially said that there are actual fucking empty areas in BG, with nothing but random monsters in it.

There are, the second map I posted in my previous post has nothing but generic monsters. Yes, there is also the one joke NPC that has no relevance to anything in the game, but if you actually think that I meant "nothing but generic trash mobs" absolutely literally, it's pretty funny how you are calling other people autistic here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom