Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Minsc berserk

Thanks Sarevok, that works. Can also use the Cursed Sword of Berserking if you have a means to remove curses.

Some other things:

- Wand of Summoning and Swarm them with monsters.
- Web from out of sight then pelt with arrows.
- Backstabbing.

Still they're annoying if you run into them unprepared.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Minsc berserk

Thanks Sarevok, that works.

I hinted at it twice.

Can also use the Cursed Sword of Berserking if you have a means to remove curses.

Some other things:

- Wand of Summoning and Swarm them with monsters.
- Web from out of sight then pelt with arrows.
- Backstabbing.

Still they're annoying if you run into them unprepared.

Scout. Then you can prepare, at least if you know about their charm spells.
Backstabbing is great for single enemies, but I think all of the sirens come in groups.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Meta-gaming to the max, but you can get a Potion of Clarity in Winthrop's Inn.

DragoFireheart

Meta-gaming to the max, but you can get a Potion of Clarity in Winthrop's Inn.

I find casting two Webs at where the Sirens are and then pelting them with arrows/bullets does the trick.

In fact, Webbing + Fireball + ranged attacks kills pretty much any issue in this game.

DragoFireheart

Ok BG2 vets, I have a question:

Ignoring her annoying whining about the poor-oppressed-poor and her general naivety, Why is Nalia a bad character to have? Some points:

"Edwin is a vastly superior mage": Nalia can use stuff besides daggers and slings and is also much tougher. She also can wear the Amulet of Power, which is a huge deal. Having more spell slots is good and all, but casting speed is equally important. Her 17 Int is an issue but this can be remedied with potions for learning spells. She's also easier to keep in your party since it's easier to gain reputation than to lose it without repercussions (until you get Slayer form). Edwin is an alternative (and has vastly superior banter), but I don't find him strictly superior: his Amulet is both a weakness and a strength, and I personally believe the Amulet of Power is a superior amulet.

"Nalia is a bad version of Imoen": First of all, there exists enough potions to let Nalia do most of your thieving work regardless of her inferior thieving skills. Second, you get Imoen pretty late if you decide you don't want to rush to Spellhold ASAP which means you'll be "stuck" with Nalia for most of the game. Finally, a mage is a mage is a mage: Arcane power reigns supreme in Baldur's Gate 2. Nalia also has the same exact Int as Imoen. Nalias only real downside is a ring slot being taken up.

"She's annoying": Her dialog can be annoying but nothing on Aerie level bad. Imoen has almost none and while Edwins is awesome, I find having to keep my reputation below 18 without mods to be a nuisance. Edwin also clashes with Minsc (yes I enjoy having Minsc around, fuck off).

Overall Nalia seems like a solid choice if you aren't going the evil route. Honestly I would take Dwarf Berserker (DO not mention Enhanced Edition you cunt) Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo/Imoen, Nalia, and a free slot for whomever as my good party configuration.

==============================================================================

Dwarf Berserker
Minsc
Jaheira
Yoshimo/Imoen
Naila
|____|

Any suggestions for last slot? I was thinking Jan for his banter to go alongside Minsc, but it seems the group would be a bit thief/mage heavy. Keldorn could work I suppose but he's a bit too goody-goody for me.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Ok BG2 vets, I have a question:

Ignoring her annoying whining about the poor-oppressed-poor and her general naivety, Why is Nalia a bad character to have? Some points:

"Edwin is a vastly superior mage": Nalia can use stuff besides daggers and slings and is also much tougher. She also can wear the Amulet of Power, which is a huge deal. Having more spell slots is good and all, but casting speed is equally important. Her 17 Int is an issue but this can be remedied with potions for learning spells. She's also easier to keep in your party since it's easier to gain reputation than to lose it without repercussions (until you get Slayer form). Edwin is an alternative (and has vastly superior banter), but I don't find him strictly superior: his Amulet is both a weakness and a strength, and I personally believe the Amulet of Power is a superior amulet.

"Nalia is a bad version of Imoen": First of all, there exists enough potions to let Nalia do most of your thieving work regardless of her inferior thieving skills. Second, you get Imoen pretty late if you decide you don't want to rush to Spellhold ASAP which means you'll be "stuck" with Nalia for most of the game. Finally, a mage is a mage is a mage: Arcane power reigns supreme in Baldur's Gate 2. Nalia also has the same exact Int as Imoen. Nalias only real downside is a ring slot being taken up.

"She's annoying": Her dialog can be annoying but nothing on Aerie level bad. Imoen has almost none and while Edwins is awesome, I find having to keep my reputation below 18 without mods to be a nuisance. Edwin also clashes with Minsc (yes I enjoy having Minsc around, fuck off).

Overall Nalia seems like a solid choice if you aren't going the evil route. Honestly I would take Dwarf Berserker (DO not mention Enhanced Edition you cunt) Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo/Imoen, Nalia, and a free slot for whomever as my good party configuration.

==============================================================================

Dwarf Berserker
Minsc
Jaheira
Yoshimo/Imoen
Naila
|____|

Any suggestions for last slot? I was thinking Jan for his banter to go alongside Minsc, but it seems the group would be a bit thief/mage heavy. Keldorn could work I suppose but he's a bit too goody-goody for me.

Edwin vs Nalia: A mage shouldn't be using anything besides a sling or a staff (or a conjured magic weapon), so that's moot, unless we're talking some extreme build that abuses a thief/mage backstab setup. A mage is a spellcaster first and foremost. Edwin's amulet gives him bonus spell spots, which give him the ability to stack more buffs and damage spells which can make him more powerful than just the buff from the amulet of power. I don't really know what to say about the INT thing, why pop potions when you can get a higher INT stat for free? I do agree about the evil/good rep thing, it's easier to be good and hit 20 than to hover around 18 to keep Edwin, but there's mods that fix the rep system so...

Nalia versus Imoen: Honestly, they are interchangeable for me, I only use Imoen because well, it fits the overall story better. That's literally my justification. I always take Imoen AND Edwin unless I'm playing a mage/sorcerer character myself, and try to juggle the reputation around 18 or play with a mod that changes the system. And Nalia's ring is pretty damn good (stacks with magical items) so that's not an issue for me at all.

Don't forget there's Jan too, he's the better thief and has an extra spellslot but lacks necromancy...

Oh and you should pick up Anomen and do his knighthood quest to boost his wisdom to 18. A druid doesn't cut it for me.

DragoFireheart

SwiftCrack

#1 Nalia is still a mage but be a bit more competent when not casting. I don't like to abuse the resting system if I can help it. I also disagree about his Amulet being better than the Amulet of Power: it's not JUST a buff, it allows you to do broken shit.

#2 Is there any reason to NOT take both if I am not taking Edwin?

#3 Jan's lack of necromancy really hurts him. No Horrid Wilting is well, horrid.

#4 Ah yes there is Anomen. His arrogance his amusing and his Cleric spells would be a perfect fit. I do like Jan's banter but...

SwiftCrack

Arcane
1: That's your choice, seeing as how your party runs with the goodies it'll be easier on you
2: No, not really as far as I can tell you, they're just carbon copies and that might be boring. You could fit in valygar or haerdalis as physical damage dealer instead.
3. Yes, I'm not a fan. But he is a better thief.
4. Great NPC if upgraded especially with the gauntlets of dex (18/52 str, 18 dex, 16 con, 18 wis post-quest)

Oh and if you have throne of bhaal and you reach it (story spoiler):

You can get Sarevok who's the best NPC in the game (physical damage wise anyway), and even though he is evil, he does not leave your party ever.

DragoFireheart

#1 Ditto.

#2 Valygar is equally boring and Haer is a douchebag IIRC.

#3 He is a better thief, but Yoshimo/Imoen fills the role just fine. And despite Yoshimo doing that story thing in Spellhold I enjoy his banter. Besides, being a better thief isn't much of a selling point.: at least with Yoshimo pre-Imoen I get to play with traps.

#4 Looks like you sold me on Anomen, the "I'm better than you" knight. I've played ToB before but your spoiler warning is a courtesy all the same. Mr ToB is pretty cool for multiple reasons, will have to give him a whirl whenever I get to ToB.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
#1 Nalia is still a mage but be a bit more competent when not casting. I don't like to abuse the resting system if I can help it. I also disagree about his Amulet being better than the Amulet of Power: it's not JUST a buff, it allows you to do broken shit.
If you don't like spamresting, then Edwin is a much better character, especially with mods (SCS). Two more spells is A LOT, early- and midgame more so than in ToB, but more spells all the way. Their survivability is comparable (Edwin's lack of DEX is offset by gauntlets of dexterity), and you can save the amulet of power for your second arcane spellcaster.

#2 Is there any reason to NOT take both if I am not taking Edwin?
With one dedicated mage, you can safely exchange her for Jan Jansen, he's a bit worse mage, but a much better thief/shooter, plus his detect invisibility skill is indispensable when against SI:Divination. Not to mention he's a much better character.

#3 Jan's lack of necromancy really hurts him. No Horrid Wilting is well, horrid.
Stack up Pierce Shields/Simulacrums/Triggers for a dedicated mage debuffer.

#4 Ah yes there is Anomen. His arrogance his amusing and his Cleric spells would be a perfect fit. I do like Jan's banter but...
Anomen is probably the most powerful NPC. The power rankings look like this for me:

Master race (shame they're both soooo annoying)
Anomen
Aerie

Very powerful (features all arcane spellcasters)
Edwin
Jaheira (iron skin, yes please)
Imoen
Jan
Nalia

mildly powerful
Sarevok (great stats + deathstrike)
Korgan (berserker!)
Minsc (some ranger spells)
Valygar (he can backstab, not that I use it)

meh
Haer'Dalis (max spell level 6 sucks)
Mazzy (boring fighter)

mostly useless
Viconia ( :( )
Yoshimo

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Master race (shame they're both soooo annoying)
Anomen
Aerie

Very powerful (features all arcane spellcasters)
Edwin
Jaheira (iron skin, yes please)
Imoen
Jan
Nalia

mildly powerful
Sarevok (great stats + deathstrike)
Korgan (berserker!)
Minsc (some ranger spells)
Valygar (he can backstab, not that I use it)

meh
Haer'Dalis (max spell level 6 sucks)
Mazzy (boring fighter)

mostly useless
Viconia ( :( )
Yoshimo

No one remembers poor Cernd.

Fuck everybody. I like him.
He's somewhat useful in SoA. Pro tip: The great oak might crush a building when it falls, but the sapling that seeps its roots through the foundation will stop the building in the first, lest the cellars leak and the fungoids take the builders.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Cernd is literally the most useless NPC in the entire series after Garrick if you ask me.

At least he is alright as a character.

And Sarevok+Korgan are top tier.

Stokowski

Arcane
Take someone - anyone - who can cast Chaotic Commands, or your party will spend most of their time killing each other.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have sometimes hard time understanding why people put so much value on endgame efficiency of the NPCs. Isn't the best part of the game actually making your way to the endgame? In SoA I probably value NPCs late game qualities less than others because I never continue to ToB after finishing SoA due to the sharp decline in quality.

A horse of course

Clerics are some of the most useless characters in BG2. I use them for the sake of LARPing.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Very powerful (features all arcane spellcasters)

Jaheira (iron skin, yes please)"

with no Haer Dalis who is a bard which makes him an arcane spellcaster.

HOW THE FUCK IS JAHEIRA AN ARCANE SPELLCASTER? SHE IS A DAMN DRUID WHICH MAKES HER A DIVINE SPELLCASTER.

Can't take your opinion on D&D character power levels seriously if you cna't even get the basics fukkin' right you fukkin' piece of shit.

Turjan

Arcane
I think I used him once to steal one of Drizzt's scimitars.

Aerie? Really?
She gets really good in ToB. She's really grating though.

Anyway, I guess I mostly decided characters on whether I liked them or found them interesting, except the hopeless cases (Cernd). So Jan and Jaheira were pretty much always in. Anomen gets bearable when you do his arc, even if he is absolutely annoying before that. Keldorn makes paladins respectable. I love Edwin as a character, but as I usually drift towards the upper edge of alignment, it's too much hassle to keep him.

Last edited:

UglyBastard

Arcane
Whatever your final party will be, never miss out on recruiting Korgan and Aerie.

They have the most beautiful banter culminating in Aerie leaving your party to kill herself because of Korgan's bullying. :)
If you also have Edwin and Viconia, it is really great to watch them gank Aerie.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Whatever your final party will be, never miss out on recruiting Korgan and Aerie.

They have the most beautiful banter culminating in Aerie leaving your party to kill herself because of Korgan's bullying. :)
If you also have Edwin and Viconia, it is really great to watch them gank Aerie.

If this was a modern day Bioware game everyone in Amn would gang up on Korgan the Bully by posting 140 character long messages on the local tavern bulletin board and Aerie would be taken in by the Temple of Ilmater and would be pushed to gradually convert to a male-gendered character, while the player character would be forced into a romance with him after the transformation was complete in chapter six.

Because those were here TRUE feelings after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom