Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Baldur's Gate retrospective at RPGWatch: http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/the-nostalgia-files--baldurs-gate-270.html

Among RPG fans, saying that Baldur's Gate is a classic is probably the most uncontroversial remark you can make.
:lol: Not on The Codex. :D

The year is 1998.

Grunge is gone, and something fake has taken its place; empty music plays meaninglessly in insurance offices everywhere. Trashy white guys have taken up rap and they try to mix it with guitars. Pagers are a common sight at every county fair, hanging on the belts of daisy duke shorts and baggy raver pants. They'll be in style for less than a year. Everyone's playing Pokemon and Magic: The Gathering. Those of us without beepers, anyway.
Wow, talk about pretentious.
The article has little substance, although I have read worse. 5/10, would read another one.

In fact, i even rate both IWDs above BG1
Heresy! ;)

Angthoron

Arcane
Baldur's Gate retrospective at RPGWatch: http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/the-nostalgia-files--baldurs-gate-270.html
It's like I clicked on RPGWatch but found myself at RPS.
I really couldn't bring myself to finish reading this stylistics exercise. I guess it tries to set up some kind of an atmosphere, but it's just too lofty for its own good. Doesn't help that the style overall is rather unbalanced, or that the entire "atmosphere" setup for me personally is a complete miss. Sure, I got BG1 in 1998, but I gave roughly 0 fucks about everything mentioned. Third person omniscient backfires, FPO/FPU would've suited it much more.

TL;DR if I were the editor, this would be sent back to the desk for major rework.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Drago, most of us have moved beyond vanilla BG1 and have learnt to use mods that use different (and adjustable) spawn rates.
But even in vanilla BG1 you could prevent kobolds spawning in the central chamber of the Firewine ruins by parking one of your characters there.
Where there is will and intelligence there is a way.

It also helps if you have a tank with -10 or so effective missile AC.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wasn't even aware RPGWatch had a female staff member. Now all they need is a homosexual and a Jew, those copycats.

We are no copycats...

Aubrielle has a female partner, is an atheist and likes social warrior topics - the complete package -> she's Myrthos' secret weapon to troll the Codex :) (*)

So the catfight between Aubrielle and CrookedBee can begin...

knbJS2y.png
fCPiTzk.png

(*) and "patriarchal" Grognards like me (friendly fire).
:neveraskedforthis:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We are no copycats...

Aubrielle has a female partner, is an atheist and likes social warrior topics - the complete package -> she's Myrthos' secret weapon to troll the Codex :) (*)

I must admit that she's pretty ballsy to use her real name on RPGWatch...wait, what?

Turjan

Arcane
I must admit that she's pretty ballsy to use her real name on RPGWatch...wait, what?
Yup, same style.
On Writing.
Posted by Emma Yorke at 11:07 PM Friday, January 31, 2014
One time some preposterous twat tried to tell me that when you write, you always write for other people. It’s all for them. Like some kind of altruistic nightmare where you dress up in a giant ape suit made of itchy fake fur and dance on a stage so brainless plebs can throw banana peels and clumps of shit at you. I didn’t bother to correct her. It’s good that she went on thinking that, and it’s good that other writing failures believe that too. The dodgy outer suburbs of our global village are packed with filthy tenements full of unsuccessful creatives, and they all believe they’re better, smarter, more profound, than everyone else in the world. It’s my firm conviction that they should stay there, smelling bad and growing old in filthy cluttered apartments, still trying feebly to convince the world that they’re brilliant. As the last dying light of self-assurance in their eyes flickers out, their hubris will fade into equally devout cynicism and bitterness at how nobody gets recognized. Night will come, and maybe before they end they’ll end up on the ground floor of some office building, possibly not as arrogant as they were before, but believing with all their hearts that it’s the only way to have a decent life. And their hatred and jealousy, companions throughout life, will remain when they tumble into their shallow, cheap graves.

Great authors, great artists, great photographers all have one thing in common. The best of them are generally humble people. Self-confident, of course, and self-assured. But there’s no cheap jabs there, no cold shoulders, no fawning ass-kissing for those one step up on the ladder of success. Great creatives are always great, from the time they’re obscure and on into their recognition, and by great, I mean that there’s something about them, some vibe of wafting talent you sense when you get near, some spark of greatness lurking about them. Greatness has no room for pompousness, and arrogance is the first herald of one’s miserable demise and imminent obscurity.

My name is Emma Yorke, and I’m here to make you uncomfortable.
Okay...

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Great authors, great artists, great photographers all have one thing in common. The best of them are generally humble people.
So they all have one thing in common, except it's actually only the best of them, and then generally only.

alien_108.JPG

Right !

DragoFireheart

Siren's in BG1 are annoying as shit. Even my Dwarf with 19 CON and a Ring of Protection +1 still fails his saving throws. wtf lol

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Siren's in BG1 are annoying as shit. Even my Dwarf with 19 CON and a Ring of Protection +1 still fails his saving throws. wtf lol

CON doesn't adjust saving throws.
With the right mindset you don't even need to worry about saving throws against the sirens.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Well, his dwarf should be getting +5 to saves versus death, spell and wand (19/3.5=5.42=5). I think Siren abilities are classed as spells?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, his dwarf should be getting +5 to saves versus death, spell and wand (19/3.5=5.42=5). I think Siren abilities are classed as spells?

So high CON does give bonus to saving throws? Maybe I'm confusing with older AD&D games.
Anyway, there are characters that don't need to worry about saving throws against Charm spells.

DragoFireheart

So high CON does give bonus to saving throws? Maybe I'm confusing with older AD&D games.
Anyway, there are characters that don't need to worry about saving throws against Charm spells.

Short races in BG1/2 get bonuses to their Spell/Wand/Death saving throws based on their CON.

Melcar

Arcane

Short races in BG1/2 get bonuses to their Spell/Wand/Death saving throws based on their CON.

I think it's a fixed number, rather than based on their CON score. In vanilla at least. In IWD I think you do get the bonuses based on CON.

DragoFireheart

I think it's a fixed number, rather than based on their CON score. In vanilla at least. In IWD I think you do get the bonuses based on CON.

I could go test it but I'm pretty sure it's not fixed.

Incantatar

Cipher
The manlet saving throw bonus isn't in vanilla BG1 even with Baldurdash's fixes (the same for elven charm and sleep resistances). At least Kagain and Khalid had the same boni in my game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The racial saving throw bonuses for dwarf, halfling and gnome were implemented, it's just that BioWare made a mess of their companion NPCs who are missing them (and break many other rules).
A player created character is unaffected by these oversights.

Dwarfs and halfings get +1 to death, spell and wand saving throws for every 3.5 CON, gnomes get the same bonus but just for spell and wand saves.

Most of the errors for NPCs were fixed in the DudleyFix, and elven charm/sleep fix was by aVenger (for PCs and NPCs).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom