Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't played them but apparently the Enhanced Editions add some (badly written) areas, quests and NPCs that don't really fit into the world. And 2 is far more story-driven, or feels that way since they got better at telling one. It probably also has the better story unless you have a boner for politics.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It was a bad system then and it's a bad system now. RIP Hrunkar, level 7 30 HP Barbarian.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Like I said, if you're a wimp you can use NWN-style to make sure you don't get fucked. The game is so easy without SCS there's no point in making it a complete cake-walk.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
And even if you roll 1-2-1 for your fighter, you still get the CON bonus. Not to mention that now you better switch from 2-hander to sword-and-board to maximize AC. If you don't have a CON bonus for a fighter, why didn't you pick another class?

Ok, I'm gonna open up a whole new can of worms: which of the two games is more story-driven, and delivers a better story?
Addendum: are these enhanced editions any worth it? Or should I stick with the original releases?
Stick with originals. There is zero reason to buy the Enhanced Editions which just make the games look worse with their upscaling blurry filters and they also don't work with many mods, though a bunch of the modders have updated their stuff. Still, getting the originals to run is piss easy and only retards need EE.

[URL='http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?members/edward_r_murrow.7922/']Edward_R_Murrow[/URL] said:
I'm not familiar with the component, but I assume it looks at the .CRE files, reads their character levels, hit dice, and Constitution modifier and then sets their HP to the maximum attainable given those parameters in lieu of what the developers assigned them. So if a creature was assigned 50 HP because the designers felt this was best, but legally could have up to 100 based on their stats, the component should bump it up.
Yeah, that's exactly what it does. Instead of giving 5 HP for 1 HD, it gives 6, to use your previous Orc example.

They don't in the same way players do. As far as I know, every (demi)human NPC's HP in a D&D cRPG was set by the designer and will never vary from game to game in the way that player character HP, rolled randomly, will.
Yeah, every NPC and monster in IE games has always the same amount of HP.

Lhynn

Arcane
No, it's living with the consequences of the system.
Permanently dying is also a consequence of the system, did you ever reload your game after you died? if you did you just cheated it.
Stop being a fucking moron grunker.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Permanently dying is also a consequence of the system, did you ever reload your game after you died? if you did you just cheated it.

I can go on playing the game if I make a bad HP roll. It's just part of my continued playing. I can also easily complete the game after a bad roll.

I can't if I die. The game tells me to reload. I don't reload every time I roll a fumble or don't roll a critical hit, either.

Stop being a fucking moron grunker Lhynn.

Xeon

Augur
I kinda don't get why people are getting upset over this, its like I broke a rule or a commandment or something. (Sorry if that's a wrong analogy[?]).

All I did was tweak the game to give me the maximum HP gain for my PC character and I am not even sure if it does even work since I am only getting +3 HP per level, Also If I ever finish BG2 and decide to play it again I am kinda sure that I'll max the stats and proficiency points and skills and all that jazz, just an FYI to help you get upset over something more reasonable.

Anyway I finally finished Haer'Dalis's quest and that was kinda long when I thought I'll only need to deal with the wizard, dealing with the quicksand splitting my party and having to move them one by one was kinda annoying while pausing and unpausing and switching screen. Also managed to kill the Lich in the Unseeing Eye cave finally.

Edit:
I will probably drop Edwin after his transformation to get Neera, she is a wild mage but I think she will still have access to all spells, not entirely sure tho and 5% miss doesn't seem all that bad. Nalia also seem good and might help replace Yoshimo and be counted as another mage if it helps. Last is Aeire I am kinda interested in the quest between her and Hear and the PC, she is also a Cleric so I will be getting access to more buffs I think.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
I can go on playing the game if I make a bad HP roll. It's just part of my continued playing. I can also easily complete the game after a bad roll.
I can't if I die. The game tells me to reload. I don't reload every time I roll a fumble or don't roll a critical hit, either.
Stop being a fucking moron grunker Lhynn.
Lcf84Bx.jpg

Seriously tho, permanently gimping your character for the added "challenge" is all kinds of retarded, making spells more overwhelming for both you and your enemies in BGII of all games also strikes me of retardation, in a game where most (by a huge marging) enemies are fighter classes that need the hp, while you are most likely either playing a caster or having more than half of your own team being one. The same applies for bringing up the issue of balance in THIS game. Fucking laughable.

roshan

Arcane
I kinda don't get why people are getting upset over this, its like I broke a rule or a commandment or something. (Sorry if that's a wrong analogy[?]).

All I did was tweak the game to give me the maximum HP gain for my PC character and I am not even sure if it does even work since I am only getting +3 HP per level, Also If I ever finish BG2 and decide to play it again I am kinda sure that I'll max the stats and proficiency points and skills and all that jazz, just an FYI to help you get upset over something more reasonable.

Anyway I finally finished Haer'Dalis's quest and that was kinda long when I thought I'll only need to deal with the wizard, dealing with the quicksand splitting my party and having to move them one by one was kinda annoying while pausing and unpausing and switching screen. Also managed to kill the Lich in the Unseeing Eye cave finally.

Edit:
I will probably drop Edwin after his transformation to get Neera, she is a wild mage but I think she will still have access to all spells, not entirely sure tho and 5% miss doesn't seem all that bad. Nalia also seem good and might help replace Yoshimo and be counted as another mage if it helps. Last is Aeire I am kinda interested in the quest between her and Hear and the PC, she is also a Cleric so I will be getting access to more buffs I think.

After I think level 9 or 11 or something, you only get 2 hp per level, or something like that. There's no more CON bonus or HP rolls.

lol random hp is retarded shit.
Tazok, Sarevok or Balor demon have the same amount of hp every time you face them so why would my lucky fighter lvl 8 have 110hp and not so lucky fighter 50 or 60?

still remember my 1st character in BG1. paladin level 4 by the time i got to cloakwood i had fucking 19 hp and wyverns were killing me with two hit. fuck that shit. savescumming for max hp for life :ehue: yes i also savescumm before opening chests with random loot :cool:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
lol random hp is retarded shit.
Tazok, Sarevok or Balor demon have the same amount of hp every time you face them so why would my lucky fighter lvl 8 have 110hp and not so lucky fighter 50 or 60?

still remember my 1st character in BG1. paladin level 4 by the time i got to cloakwood i had fucking 19 hp and wyverns were killing me with two hit. fuck that shit. savescumming for max hp for life :ehue: yes i also savescumm before opening chests with random loot :cool:

If the game is fun to play, then there shouldn't be a problem with restarting it and hoping for better hp rolls.

Lhynn

Arcane
If the game is fun to play, then there shouldn't be a problem with restarting it and hoping for better hp rolls.
Yes, cRPGs take repetition so well that im not tempted at all to call you retarded cunt.

Xeon

Augur
Just beat Firkraag, bought as many healing potions and summon scrolls and made my clerics and mages at the very back with healing spells and summons, man I love Jaheira's Heal but only have 2 slots for it, kept using Haste potion to attack the dragon and then retreating for healing and buffs and sending summons to distract him a little bit. Took a little bit of time to finish him tho after a couple of tries.

Installed another tweak to enable the portrait for Edwina or something I think. This will probably be my last post in here, Thanks for the tips.

Someday, when PCs are fast enough and saving is truly instant, there will be someone who will advocate quicksaving and quickloading every time they don't roll a natural 20 on their to-hit.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Because that's similar to having a level 7 30 HP Barbarian. :roll:

Basic statistics will tell you it's a lot more likely to get average rolls with a D20 over time, when rolled 1000+ times than when you compare it with HD dice rolled (level) times.

BBMorti

Arcane
No idea how you get 30 hp on a barb over seven level ups unless you have like 8 constitution on him. Whats the big deal anyways? They made a difficulty setting for people who needs maximum hit points etc.

http://www.pottsland.com/baulder/create/create_hp_tables.shtml

A 18 constitution barb will get +35 hp with the worst roll on every level up possible. Which is plenty to crush a Bioware game in any case. They tend to 'balance' the games after the lowest common denominator, after all.

Ziem

Arbiter
Someday, when PCs are fast enough and saving is truly instant, there will be someone who will advocate quicksaving and quickloading every time they don't roll a natural 20 on their to-hit.
nice try but you can't save during combat :cool:

nice try but you can't save during combat :cool:

VMs + savestates man.

Frankly I can see a reason to want max HP or NWN-style HP for level 1-5 in BG1, but for BG2 levels there's really no point. If you are taking that much damage in BG2 you need to fix your strategy. D&D isn't some crappy MMO or JRPG where characters are constantly losing half of their health every round and need to be immediately healed, preparing a proper defensive web makes HP mostly an irrelevant number.

Now spell scribing failure, that's a ridiculous pain in the ass. A real kick in the balls when the prime loot is a spell scroll and it disappears into nothingness. Fucking fighters have it easy, imagine if their equipment acted like that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom