Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I feel insulted :rpgcodex:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You thought vanilla Irenicus was impossible? With a proper 6-man party?

Jesus Christ, I guess Sawyer was right when he said people who played RPGs generally sucked at video games. Paging Roguey (and I guess Infinitron) :M

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
I never argued I was a good gamer. I definitely can complete both Fallouts on the highest difficulty with no much of a problem and I usually have no problems in turn based games. BG1&2 felt very hard to me though, much more so than Icewind Dale.I guess there just are games you have to suck at.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Harder than IWD? Hmmm, odd.
tax, did you forget about turning into a Slayer? You can just do that to trivialize most things.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Baldur's Gate is indeed much harder than the ridicoulously easy Fallout, but harder than IWD? Even without Slayer Form, Trials of the Luremaster fight is much harder than Irenicus. Irenicus is not a trivial battle for sure, but it is hardly impossible.

I never argued I was a good gamer.

I'm not ridiculing you. I'm just surprised. In my previous arguments with Roguey, I argued against some of Sawyer's argument based on the fact that I'd wager any regular gamer - certainly anyone who frequents the Codex - would be able to beat the IE-games without any issues. I beat these games when I was 14.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
I did not use Slayer much because of the ridiculous reputation inpact. And it did not change the balance of the fights much when I started having powerful summons. For boss battles, which were actually the only ones I had a problem with in late BG2 and in ToB, Slayer did not advantage my thief character much.

I still seriously think I sacrificed much in terms of party balance and its adaptation to my play style for just having the characters I liked. I remember I seriously lacked in offensive melee. When I got the ability to summon fire and air elementals this was a complete game changer.

But still not enougb for the last bosses fight. As I said, tbe rest was fine and I only cheated in the last hours because, I was tired of repeating the same strategy which albeit working involved lots of sleeping, saving, reloading and spellcasting.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You see people? Noob had problems. BG2 is not shit-easy the first time you play it. Your judgment is clouded by immense experience, this is the proof.

Redlands

Arcane
I just finished Baldur's Gate I for the first time a few days ago. To summarize my opinion: if anyone other than Bioware had done it, I think it could have been one of the best RPGs around.

The plot had really decent aspects to it: Machiavellian manipulation and the replacement of important people with dopplegangers, solely to cause a lot of death and destruction sounds really interesting. But Bioware seems incapable of treating its audience with any kind of intellectual respect, and every single fucking thing is not only telegraphed, but explicitly told to you as though you were five (Oh my god, it's Saverok backwards!).

The other party members could have been good, with some nice weighing up of whom to take based on who got along with whom, and such. But instead Bioware's poor programming and terrible writing had me wanting to pretty much murder everyone in my party, which I started doing after I saved for the day, just because I was sick of Jaheira and Branwen's constant fucking complaining, and I dropped Minsc not only because he made me want to jab out my eyes with his stupid commentary, but also because he kept going insane because we weren't going to save his girlfriend... while we were at the gnoll stronghold and she was less that fifty feet away.

Some of the encounters were reasonably clever and a nice challenge, but they were few and far between in comparison to the hundreds of trash mobs that could be fought by just arming everyone with a ranged weapon and not even paying attention.

The whole game feels like that: whenever I get reasonably interested in a challenging situation or think that the idea behind something is pretty neat, Bioware comes in with its Mass Boredom spell to ruin it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Now play 2, it is better in most regards. (Though us veterans have a soft spot for 1.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You see people? Noob had problems. BG2 is not shit-easy the first time you play it. Your judgment is clouded by immense experience, this is the proof.
When I went through BG2 I had difficulty in some spots, which is fine for me.

But certainly not ToB for the most part. taxalot did you not know you can set it to heal you completely on rest and go to your pocket plane to safely do so at pretty much any time? Even then I don't recall having to do it very much. You don't need summons for most of those fights either.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Claiming that first playthrough of BG2 was difficult is nothing strange. The game does have quite a lot of enemies and encounters that can be a pain when you approach them without cheese and/or metaknowledge.

The ToB part is odd though as that shitfest is pretty trivial due to all the insanely op gear and even more insanely op special abilities.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Wait. You can pocket plane in the middle of fights? I never even bothered trying thinking there was no way they would allow that.

If so that could have changed things quite a bit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wait. You can pocket plane in the middle of fights? I never even bothered trying thinking there was no way they would allow that.

Actually no, not during combat. But that's unnecessary.

Rake

Arcane

You can't.

Xeon

Augur
What is the difference between Humans and Half-Elves?

From the description Half-Elves seem superior because of their immunity to sleep and Charms. The Humans can dual class but none-humans can also multi-class. I never played a class other than a Human Berserker so if someone can help, I'll appreciate it.

Xeon

Augur
If that is the only difference then they are pretty good I think. Thank you very much

Lorica

Educated
A multiclass character begins at level one with multiple classes, between which his experience is divided evenly. He levels up when his experience pool for any one of his classes hits its threshold. He has access to all class abilities and suffers all restrictions, generally.

A dual class character is a character who meets certain stat requirements and chooses to leave one class for another. He starts over as a level one character in his new class with access to his old hitpoints but not much else. Only once his level in his new class surpasses his level in his base class does he regain the original class' abilities. He will never gain more experience in the base class, however.

Dual classing in BG2 can be exploited a number of ways, from some just good sense stuff (stop levelling in thief once he's maxed trap detection and lockpicking, if you don't want to use sneak attacks in the game) to the vaguely cheaty, like dualing to thief from a wizard slayer to get a thief's use any object high level ability to circumvent the kit's restrictions.

More experienced BG players than I should be able to tell you more about power gaming with dual classes in BG.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Play whatever race or class you want. IE games are not that hard, especially since you can get party member's to soak up your weaknesses. Only thing is, if you want your main char to be someone who kills lots of shit pick something with decent melee skills, preferably a fighter. While wizards, clerics, druids and so on are very powerful, you will end up spending more than half your time standing around doing nothing because most encounter's are a waste of spells.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
A Berserker or Barbarian is perfect for a first time playthrough, since their Rage give them protection against enemies casting Power Word: Game Over

Lorica

Educated
Play whatever race or class you want. IE games are not that hard, especially since you can get party member's to soak up your weaknesses. Only thing is, if you want your main char to be someone who kills lots of shit pick something with decent melee skills, preferably a fighter. While wizards, clerics, druids and so on are very powerful, you will end up spending more than half your time standing around doing nothing because most encounter's are a waste of spells.

But party building deliberation is fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom