Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Why install Tactics if you want to have fun? Tactics is the anti-thesis of fun. It's nothing but min-maxed encounters that you mostly have to learn by heart so that you can then cheese through them.

Parabalus

Arcane
So yeah, earning this much gold isn't that hard, just takes time.
:nocountryforshitposters:
so why play games at all then? just hex edit a perfect char because you could build one and it'd just take time.

He's kinda right though - it might look deranged, but he's having fun, that's what important about playing games. This is like an extension of using CTRL-J to avoid travel time.

Why install Tactics if you want to have fun? Tactics is the anti-thesis of fun. It's nothing but min-maxed encounters that you mostly have to learn by heart so that you can then cheese through them.

The modified existing encounters are pgood, only the added ones are wacky.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Installing difficulty mods that you then trivialize by cheating is logic that is foreign to me. I've talked about fun before and I don't think that's a good argument or excuse.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
I installed SCS, not Tactics, though I believe there are some in SCS.

I played Tactics before, but just some of the encounters are stronger, not all.

I don't think it is trivializing, it's just higher level of playing.

Yes, in some point it makes things easier and pointless, but on the other hand, it doesn't forces me to look for every damn coin I can find on the street and reloading same battle to the point of insanity.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I play games for fun, not for frustration and hard work. Also I went over the game couple of times without cheating, and going through the crap again is bothersome to me.

And let me tell you, these yuan-ti SCS mages are so powerful that even with all items and gold it is tough to beat them!

Yeah, the problem is your standard of 'fun'

But if you want to cry that Aeris is dead while listening to Taylor Swift unfortunately nobody can stop you

Alkarl

Learned
I play games for fun, not for frustration and hard work. Also I went over the game couple of times without cheating, and going through the crap again is bothersome to me.

And let me tell you, these yuan-ti SCS mages are so powerful that even with all items and gold it is tough to beat them!

Yeah, the problem is your standard of 'fun'

But if you want to cry that Aeris is dead while listening to Taylor Swift unfortunately nobody can stop you

Personally, I like to listen to Iron Maiden while I imagine her getting her wings ripped off.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I can somehow bear the free 400k... but why the gear? It is literally one of the motives to keep going. Kill, get gear, get more powerful, repeat.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Yes, that is a fact that I am concious of and it really makes game somewhat less enjoyable.

But I don't give a fuck I want to have best gear now if it is possible. Why was eekeeper made in the first place, if not for cheating?

I would do anything to save Aerie.

Last edited:

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
So what's wrong with EE? It says Enhanced Edition so they enhanced it, right?

I'm thakfull to EE cuz I began playing BG2 again and finished it but back in the days whitout internet
i could'nt finish BG2 cuz I didn't know what to do with all the stuff (there was no walkthrough availieble)

Last edited:

Nas92

Augur
So what's wrong with EE?

I'm thakfull to EE cuz I began playing BG2 again and finished it but back in the days whitout internet
i could'nt finish BG2 cuz I didn't know what to do with all the stuff (there was no walkthrough availieble)
Have you encountered those annoying, badly voice acted bonus companion events? You can't even skip them. The Neera one is the worst and it goes on for a full two minutes and you have to talk to her afterward. The only improvment that I found to be worthwhile and is not done by any free mods is that you can see the exact number of points you've rolled, but that's just convenience, it's not worth the full price of 20 bucks.

I guess they at least didn't fuck with the soundtrack like they did in BG1EE.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
I liked Dorn and Wilson, hate that looney Raasad and Neera.

They changed mage and cleric spellbooks somehow and overall game looks more polished (is it just that now I have better monitors)
, but I don't know, It is debatable whether or not EE
did good job or not.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Some people are irrationally bitter about Beamdog getting paid, ignoring the fact that everyone who gets paid for making these games is still getting paid, whether or not someone buys EE or not.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Yeah, someone's so pissed about Beamdog getting paid and creating games while they're creating nothing and not getting paid.

I would love to be game creator but I don't have the knowledge.

Parabalus

Arcane
So what's wrong with EE?

Have you encountered those annoying, badly voice acted bonus companion events? You can't even skip them. The Neera one is the worst and it goes on for a full two minutes and you have to talk to her afterward. The only improvment that I found to be worthwhile and is not done by any free mods is that you can see the exact number of points you've rolled, but that's just convenience, it's not worth the full price of 20 bucks.

I guess they at least didn't fuck with the soundtrack like they did in BG1EE.

Area loot is pretty good, for mass random drops off mobs. No load screens is also nice.

It's sad all their writing/voice is extreme cringe, because there are genuinely cool items/encounters in the additions.

I think both games are 5$ on GoG now, some kind of sale. I'd say that's worth it, if supporting Beamdog doesn't leave you with sour taste, because of their business practices.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
I hope they will make BG3 soon!

Like you must descend from the gods to fight some dark lord again.

And in meantime Haer Dalis went to serve dark lord so he will be your first mini-boss and if you defeat him he could step on your side.

Last edited:

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
Area loot is indeed useful in the beginning of the game. When you are still craving for money. Frankly, by the end of the game, you will drown in your own gold. I finished my last playthrough of BG1 + TotSC, vanilla (with the widescreen mod though), with something like 135000 gold. It's so easy to earn money in this game. At some point you won't even bother looting corpses, but those of stronger opponents for some magical loot.
While I admit it is nice to have, it is not critical.

I hope they will make BG3 soon!

Stop already.

Some people are irrationally bitter about Beamdog getting paid, ignoring the fact that everyone who gets paid for making these games is still getting paid, whether or not someone buys EE or not.
it's not that, I'm bitter just that they:

> didn't add any good party npc, they are all pretty bad and suck with no consistency in writing.
> People that buy the new game think that BG had\was a shitload of issues (see later)
> game is bugged and people are still waiting for 2.5, then there will be a 2.6 and so on, because it never gets fixed
> They went over to make Siege of dragonspear, make it official, and actually inflate it with ridicolous dialog
> They didn't care about the consequences of SOD content into BG2 + ToB, so everything you do there is pointless because no one remembers it or there is any reference
> They were able to split the modding community by the two editions
> There are people actually praising the kits, while DD is one of least thought out kit I've ever read

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
I am not sure if I asked this before, so I am sorry if I did.

In BGT, BG1's portion, is there a second Boots of Speed worn by Lothander or is that only in the EE? I remember getting Boots of Speed from both BGT and EE but I might be getting mixed up or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom