Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
She only fancied him for his moustache, but was so happy he introduced Minsc to her that she stayed for the long-haul.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Currently playing BG2 with me as human blackguard, Keldorn, Valygar, Wilson and Aerie. On mission to save Haer 'Dalis. SCS on Insane+aTweaks, BGTweakpack, Rogue Rebalancing
ItemUpgrade

Give myself 400,000 gold and best gear to even the odds.
I'm so powerfull:)

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Currently playing BG2 with me as human blackguard, Keldorn, Valygar, Wilson and Aerie. On mission to save Haer 'Dalis. SCS on Insane+aTweaks, BGTweakpack, Rogue Rebalancing
ItemUpgrade

Hope you installed the "Prevent Aerie/Haer 'Dalis Romance" tweak or you're probably gonna get cucked, rich boy. :M

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Hope you installed the "Prevent Aerie/Haer 'Dalis Romance tweak or you're probably gonna get cucked, rich boy. :M
subOP never said that he's joining Haerry permanently, but
Haer'dalis leaves the party and Aerie chooses you if you simply tell Haer'dalis that you won't partake in a duel for Aerie's heart because doing that shit would be hella retarded

agris

Arcane
Patron
ItemUpgrade

congratulations you've ruined your playthrough.

Hope you installed the "Prevent Aerie/Haer 'Dalis Romance tweak or you're probably gonna get cucked, rich boy. :M
subOP never said that he's joining Haerry permanently, but
Haer'dalis leaves the party and Aerie chooses you if you simply tell Haer'dalis that you won't partake in a duel for Aerie's heart because doing that shit would be hella retarded
Can you actually lose and get cucked though? I could never stand either character, especially Aerie, so I don't know.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, you can lose, as far as I remember anyway. If you try to fight Haer'Dalis, Aerie says she doesn't want someone who chooses violence and takes him over you. Maybe, I haven't romanced anyone in BG2 for a while, so don't quote me on that.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
I haven't installed that part of mod cause I like to wacth how Haer Dalis move up on Aerie. And I let them go to love each other in the end.

agris- I don't agree with you that I ruinied my playthrough, it's more like I upgraded it.:P

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
cuz in no cheat run I don't have enough money to give Aerie all scrolls to scribe. And the game is really hard, so I like my warriors to have best weapons so they could protect Aerie better.

Alkarl

Learned
cuz in no cheat run I don't have enough money to give Aerie all scrolls to scribe. And the game is really hard, so I like my warriors to have best weapons so they could protect Aerie better.

Alright, which of you cunts left your kid unsupervised forgot to wear a condom?

Cael

Arcane

Alright, which of you cunts left your kid unsupervised forgot to wear a condom?
The condom was superfluous anyway. Amoebas reproduce by cellular fission.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Advocaatus diaboli here: it's not like he couldn't make near infinite gold anyway by simply hiring any pick pocket character (even Haer'dalis, who is gimped in thieving ways fiercely, will do), imbibing like 3-4 Potions of Thieving Mastery, and selling off a ton of stolen merchandise to various black market types, including Gorch or that person who shows up at night along the eastern route to Waukeen Promenade. Just for shits and giggles, I once made a fuckton of money in this way right after exiting Chateau Irenicus. It's cheesy, but technically legal, and may the first person who never lowered the difficulty to Very Easy before level up or reading rare and expensive scrolls, or made mages forget spells to learn them again for free XP, cast the first stone. Some of the more broken mods like Tactics also throw so much trash (that drops loot) at you that you also end up having a fuckton of gold that levels the playing field between you and the absolute bullshit enemies. And it's not like money is that impactful in BG over time - sure, being able to buy out Joluv and Deidre stock instantly is definitely going to make your early game way easier, but in the end, the amount of gold you can realistically spend anywhere is gated by where you go. Most of the really good stuff, like high level scrolls and such, are unlocked in the Underdark and beyond. By the time you finish Underdark and all of the Chapter 2/3 quests, you'll already have more gold than you'd care to spend, and that's including right after getting every single Cromwell artifact you'd care for, every single useful Ribald item after the Underdark restock, and all the spell scrolls you want.

But Dzupakazul, by the same logic, we should just, for example, not roll for stats and instantly max everything to 18 with the cheat command. Well, yeah, I agree that his was not the most elegant solution for this sorta stuff. I, however, generally think that cheating in some items isn't wrong in moderation, especially since it's his own fun. The no-reloader community allows for stuff like giving yourself a free Bag of Holding at the start, especially if you already have stacked the odds against yourself with your typical hardmode mods. Some people make cheat-in tiny trinket items that aren't particularly powerful (definitely not as powerful as end-game artifacts or even staple solid items like Balduran's Helm, which is relevant for virtually the entire game), but give more personality to the character they're making a no-reload run in. It's just an odd bit of customization that doesn't impact the game in the long run.

So yeah, earning this much gold isn't that hard, just takes time. I can see his reasoning being that he just want fights with tougher fight mechanics and trickier defenses but without really feeling like going through the micromanagement game with gold and shit. I feel like y'all are overreacting a bit about what he does in his own time with his own stupid little single player game. By the time he really hits the meaty parts of typical mod fights, his treasury won't save his party. And it's not like he said he's planning on clearing encounters with the mighty magic of CLUAConsole.

So yeah, earning this much gold isn't that hard, just takes time.
:nocountryforshitposters:
so why play games at all then? just hex edit a perfect char because you could build one and it'd just take time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
I play games for fun, not for frustration and hard work. Also I went over the game couple of times without cheating, and going through the crap again is bothersome to me.

And let me tell you, these yuan-ti SCS mages are so powerful that even with all items and gold it is tough to beat them!

Last edited:

cheating in baldur's gate is like adding a fourth wheel to a tricycle.

a full party in a non-cheat game is 5 characters more than you need to win already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
so why play games at all then? just hex edit a perfect char because you could build one ad it'd just take time.
I already addressed it: doing stuff like that really isn't the most elegant way to play, but it's his own stupid single player game. I'd be up in arms if this guy was trying to claim a no-reload SCSII Legacy of Bhaal run with a character with full 18s and 9999999 gold at the start, but at this point he just made his own playground where the fights are going to be more mechanically difficult for him, but he wants a smoother power curve while doing so. He wants to dismantle fights against competent mages, tougher encounters, and smarter AI solely for the fun of it, and he compensates for it by getting a lot of gold so that he can revel in consumables. Because it's his kind of fun. As I pointed out, you already can make near infinite gold without leaving Waukeen's - this guy just took a shortcut because he felt like it.

There's mods like Dungeon-Be-Gone that already skip you past the tedious parts of the game. Some other games, like Dragon Age Origins, have mods that let you skip boring shit like Deep Roads and Fade. In this case, the guy is simply skipping the part of the game he himself dislikes. People use Ease of Use and don't get shit for all of its simplifications, even though someone might said managing item slots for mundane arrows is engaging gameplay.

We all already do arguably cheesy shit and no one is calling anyone out on rerolling stats until you have perfect 18s in every relevant stat. Yet there are some who just take the first roll and play the hand they're dealt. If any such purist came to this thread to tell everyone they're wrong for rerolling 18s, they'd probably be called a busybody.

Be mindful of the fact that I never said that I agree with the dude or would do the same thing, hence the advocatus diaboli disclaimer - I don't agree with it, but I see his reasoning. I just think that Baldur's Gate threads are better off with people sharing their gameplay experiences and expertise, rather than making absolutely boring shitposts about condoms and amoebas solely because we are teh vide0game elitez.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
You're right. I just want to protect Aerie from so many bad things that could happen to her.

She just got away from her circus captors, and is still young and unknowleageble to the world.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
"I want to protect Aerie from all the bad things that could happen to her" sounds either trollish, sincere to the point of parody or saccharinely sweet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom