Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Amazing X-COM Thread

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Jason, May 31, 2006.

1. Oriental Europeangender: ⚧ Learned

Oriental European
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    UFO Alien Invasion is doing really well, although there's still no destructible environment, except glass windows.
    http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/News
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I'm playing on Ukrainian, switched back to English just for screens, so some names are weird and in Cyrillic.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Humanity has risen!gender: ⚧ Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Parrots:
    I loaded an old save, I have a secondary base in Asia with an interceptor, and it's out of Stingray missiles. There's only the interceptor with cannon rounds and Stingray missiles as stock in the whole base. However, no matter what, the stingray missiles won't get rearmed in my interceptor, and when I try to select armament for my interceptor they don't even appear.

Could I just have hit a bug? If so, what version should I pick to nix as many of those annoying bugs as possible?

^ Top  
  3. Oriental Europeangender: ⚧ Learned

Oriental European
    Parrots:
    I'm afraid that "an old save" just won't do it for a game constantly in development.

The latest. Duh.
    The project also has neat bugtracker, so you might wanna post your problems there.

^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So it's a Mass Effect clone now? Actually that one screenshot there reminds me of Ghostbusters.

Hmm.

^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Jarpiegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA
    In before cancellation.

^ Top  
  6. I'm With Her Morgothgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    In before XBLA/PSN multiplayer cover shooter.

^ Top  
  7. Gordgender: ⚧ Arcane

Gord
    Parrots:
    I definitely don't get any "general XCOM prequel vibe" from this one.

They could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by not making the retarded decision to drop the XCOM brand on it.
    Might even have turned out decent enough (unless it ended up as yet another cover-based console popamole shooter).

^ Top  
  8. Hobbit Lord of Mordor_gender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Patron Dumbfuck

Hobbit Lord of Mordor_
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    So anyone played UFO AI recently? I haven't played it since about early 2011.

^ Top  
  9. cocorulverdegender: ⚧ Novice

cocorulverde
    Parrots:
    X@COM

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. Gordgender: ⚧ Arcane

Gord
    Parrots:
    I started a new game with 2.4 recently, last version I played before was 2.2.
    Tried one of the latest dev builds (2.5), but due to crashes/bugs I went back to 2.4.
    My biggest complaints so far are relatively slow research and high frequency of missions (esp. compared to research speed).
    Also Aliens tend to get an awful lot of reaction fire. Even when I want to shoot them, they often get to shoot at me first.
    Maps are probably a bit small, OTOH, given the large number of missions, that's maybe a good thing.
    That stuff aside it's not too bad. Quite playable and has some fun moments.
    Could still use polish in terms of balance and documentation.

^ Top  
  11. poocolatorgender: ⚧ Erudite

poocolator
    Parrots:
    The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
    The Dwarf Fortress of xcom games? Has anybody played this? It looks so good that I may end up creaming my panties.

^ Top  
  12. Awor Szurkrarzgender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
  13. John Yossariangender: ⚧ Cipher

John Yossarian
    Parrots:
    My 6 year old son loves this game. I showed it to him last year and now he keeps busting my balls to keep playing while he watches.
    "Cuando vas a jugar el juego de los extraterrestres?? Yadda yadda over and over". And then you people say there's no hope.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Why isn't he playing it?

^ Top  
  15. Azrael the catgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Parrots:
    Yeah, are you sure you're not just training him to like cinematic absence of gameplay?

Edit: why did my lack of portrait necessitate a change from the question-mark default pic to the codex troll pic? I deliberately left the portrait blank because I was a fan of the comic book character 'The Question'.

^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    It's not the Dwarf Fortress of XCom games until it attempts to simulate the separate random genetic evolution of the alien species played out over 50,000 years prior to the game start. Plus it would need lava.

^ Top  
  17. John Yossariangender: ⚧ Cipher

John Yossarian
    Parrots:
    He does, but only the missions and only those during daylight. He can barely read spanish let alone english so he can't play the base strategy stuff, and is scared of night missions, even with flares.
    Before I get psi skills, and we had to fight for real ( without disarming them first i mean), he does better than me sometimes, which is a little embarrasing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. poocolatorgender: ⚧ Erudite

poocolator
    Parrots:
    The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
    Of course, you're right. It would all just be too awesome and bring about the destruction of civilization.

^ Top  
  19. gejiaxugender: ⚧ Novice

gejiaxu
    Parrots:
    The latest mod has lava and a dwarf named Urist McScorch who uses a magma cannon of his own design, if that counts for anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. CappenVarragender: ⚧ Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    :what:

^ Top  
  22. spectregender: ⚧ Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Kirtaigender: ⚧ Liturgist

Kirtai
    Parrots:
    I also posted this in the Squad level tactical thread but OpenXcom has just released version 0.9 which is supposedly fully playable. It's an engine for UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-Com: UFO Defense in USA)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)