Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Amazing X-COM Thread

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Jason, May 31, 2006.

1. Jasongender: ⚧ chasing a bee

Jason
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Since there's a lot of interest in X-Com-related projects around here, I've decided to collect all the relevant links in one thread for hawt quick reference action.

• First, the Gollop Brothers, part of the original X-Com team, put out Laser Squad Nemesis a few years back under the name Codo Technologies. It focuses mainly on squad-based action instead of all the base building and research stuff. Some people got bored with it quick, but it's only $10 so I say give it a try. They also made a GBA game, Rebelstar Tactical Command, that kicks much ass.
    • Chaos Concept is working on UFO: Extraterrestrials as we speak and hope to have it ready sometime later this summer. It looks very pretty so far, if you don't mind creepy eyeless people.
    • The best known of the X-Commy games are the UFO: After- titles from Altar. These are also the most controversial because they ditched turn-based combat for RTwP. There's Aftermath, Aftershock, and Afterlight (still in production). Here's our interview with Altar for more info.
    • If you hear someone referring to that Quake 2 engine X-Com game, they're talking about UFO: Alien Invasion. It's a community-driven project that's died once or twice, but they managed to release Beta 2 not that long ago and are hopefully still on track.
    • Another open source project is UFO2000. It's basically a multiplayer mod of X-COM that even uses the original X-COM art assets, although they're slowly but surely switching over to fan-made graphics.
    • If you have a Pocket PC, you'll want to check out Pocket UFO ASAP. It's free and it's pretty faithful to the original. You can also download a normal PC version if you like looking at tiny games on big monitors.
    • Project Xenocide is still going strong and they're supposed to have some big announcement soon, or so their news page says. Stay Tuned etc!
    • If you don't mind dealing with translation issues, there's also X-Force (German) and Invasion 2021 (Russian).
    • Sheek pointed out Project Colonisation, but I know nothing about it. Maybe he can share more info.
    • The last link I'll mention is for our affiliates at StrategyCore. They are without a doubt the best source of info for X-Com-related projects, mods, and obsessive X-Com trivia that no one else knows or cares about. I shamelessly steal all their news stories and articles.
    Please feel free to add your own comments and links if you know of an interesting project to share with the rest of the class.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2010 Updates

• UFO2 Extraterrestrials announced
    • Xenonauts
    • X-COMgate (aka the Death of X-COM)
    • XCOM Assault Kit

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LlamaGodgender: ⚧ Erudite

LlamaGod
    Parrots:
    Oh baby arm, your OCD is so lovely.

^ Top  
  3. bryce777gender: ⚧ Erudite

bryce777
    Parrots:
    I am working on a tactics and strategy guide. Probably about 13 years late, but all the ones I have seen are written by morons.

^ Top  
  4. Atrokkusgender: ⚧ Erudite

Atrokkus
    Parrots:
    OH OH ME ME!

Mr baby arm, can I give you an apple?

^ Top  
  5. Slaughtergender: ⚧ Educated

Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Good stuff baby arm! There are a few other projects listed here (though the ones you listed are the ones that seems to live). We just added a forum for X-COM: Colonization here, and there's a geoscape from it in our files section.

^ Top  
  6. sheekgender: ⚧ Arbiter

sheek
    Parrots:
    Don't know any more about Project Colonization than you baby arm.

Here's a pretty good history/overview I found:

http://www.llamalicious.com/xcom/future.html

Aussie Defence Squad is the only new one that looks like it's going anywhere but it has no aliens. Only connection is that it's made by an X-com fan.

^ Top  
  7. Naked_Lunchgender: ⚧ Erudite

Naked_Lunch
    Parrots:
    Rebelstar: Tactical Command is probably the best out of all the games here. LSN comes close, but the phase-based combat can get kinda ehh sometimes. It feels like a puzzle game at times, it's more about figuring out where the enemy could be and then just sending your drones out in all directions with "shoot on sight" enabled.

^ Top  
  8. bryce777gender: ⚧ Erudite

bryce777
    Parrots:
    Well, isn't that kind of how higher level command would be?

^ Top  
  9. Naked_Lunchgender: ⚧ Erudite

Naked_Lunch
    Parrots:
    Possibly, but the game is squad-level and it gets tiring real fast. It may be "realistic" in a sense, but it's certainly not very entertaining.

^ Top  
  10. sheekgender: ⚧ Arbiter

sheek
    Parrots:
    http://rebelstar.namco.com/screens.php

The video says "from the makers of UFO: Enemy Unknown". The anime stuff does look a bit weird though.

^ Top  
  11. Naked_Lunchgender: ⚧ Erudite

Naked_Lunch
    Parrots:
    if you can ignore the anime, your'e in for a treat

^ Top  
  12. Jasongender: ⚧ chasing a bee

Jason
    Parrots:
    Yeah, the anime-style cutscenes are horrible, but you can just quickly click through them and get to the turn-based missions without too many mental scars. It's totally worth it regardless.

^ Top  
  13. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jasongender: ⚧ chasing a bee

Jason
    Parrots:
    Yes, but mine is amazing. It even says so in the title. Plus, this one is just about X-Com projects.

BTW, that link that sheek pointed out is awesome, not only for the info, but also the reader wishlist further down.
    and

^ Top  
  15. onerobotgender: ⚧ Scholar

onerobot
    Parrots:
    Ordinarily I'd think that wishlist is horrible, but it's in all caps so I'm completely sold.

I like how it was "edited for grammar and readability".

^ Top  
  16. bryce777gender: ⚧ Erudite

bryce777
    Parrots:
    LOL!

I lovehow it lets you transform into stuff.

^ Top  
  17. sheekgender: ⚧ Arbiter

sheek
    Parrots:
    I've been watching these games and UFO: Extraterrestrials is easily the most promising and most developed one of all. Despite what the people on their forums say I now doubt it's vaporware.

The latest news is that it's been delayed until September (from August).

Xenocide looks amateurish and disorganized.

Alien Invasion looks good but I'm not sure how committed the team is to getting it finished. They're the second best hope.

^ Top  
  18. Jasongender: ⚧ chasing a bee

Jason
    Parrots:
    Chaos Concept released some new screenshots today. They look good, but they need to do something about those frightening faces.

^ Top  
  19. Clawgender: ⚧ Erudite Patron

Claw
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Wow, those look great.

Right now, I can't decide if I should play UFO or X-Force. I stared both, X-Force is a bit lacking in terms of ground combat but has many small improvements, extensive research and a somewhat interesting plot in that big-ass alien motherships are approaching and I harbour no hope of developing an appropriate countermeasure in time.
    UFO on the other hand has superior ground combat and art.

^ Top  
  20. NoisyKillerHPBgender: ⚧ Scholar

NoisyKillerHPB
    Parrots:
    I'm going to necro this thread and ask what remake is best right now and if one of the new UFO games is worth picking up?

^ Top  
  21. VenomBytegender: ⚧ Scholar

VenomByte
    Parrots:
    Of the Altar ones, avoid Aftermath like the plague.

Aftershock is playable if you don't mind realtime combat, but I got bored of it long before completing it. Then again, I had the same problem with Apocalpyse... it's similar in that you end up doing huge numbers of the same missions with little variety or purpose other than 'stem the tide'. at least in Aftershock the majority of the missions are mercifully brief. I personally found Enemy Unknown and TFTD (and even Interceptor) to be vastly more enjoyable as it feels like almost every encounter is either a big step forwards or a big setback. None of the newer games have captured that feel.

^ Top  
  22. freegamergender: ⚧ Novice

freegamer
    Parrots:
    These days UFO:AI development is going strong and it looks like it's only going to get stronger. Now at version 2.1.1 with 2.2 in progress. The game is now fully playable.

^ Top  
  23. Jim Katagender: ⚧ Arbiter

Jim Kata
    Parrots:
    http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/fo ... um.php?f=2

this one is looking very good. I had my doubts, but the modders have done amazing work to fix some issues, and the devs are working on a patch....

^ Top  
  24. mister lamatgender: ⚧ Scholar

mister lamat
    Parrots:
    rumour mill sez: 2kG are in talks with Irrational about developing a new x-com... this of course is dependant on 2kG surviving the year.

^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again copx.gender: ⚧ Arcane

copx.
    Parrots:
    I am sure it would be a RTwP game, so I am not interested. I liked the first two X-COM games (who didn't?!), but as soon as they went real-time I lost interest.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)