Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The Age of Incline: RPG Codex's 2012-2016 GOTY Results

Jazz_

Arcane
I can't play the potato GOTY because of potato pc.

hqdefault.jpg

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I would've preferred two lists, one for action-RPGs (Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Borderlands...) and one for actual RPGs.
and one for jRPGs, and one for turn-based RPGs, and one for story-focused RPGs, and one for music-focused RPGs, and one for your mom.
Leave my mom out of this and I will leave yours out of the next bearded man competition.

Thing is, when you use the only logical definition of RPG - character skill > player skill -, you only need two lists. And one would include all the sub-genres you mentioned. While the other would include... well, action games, for example.

What is a music-focused RPG, though?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Encouraged by !#angels erudite reply, I'll continue with the non-causal, non-representative but descriptive analysis:

SUPRISE SUPRISE: The Former Analysis was Shit, because excel did not delete the NA or empty cells (or rather I did not). Here are the new averages (and the respective breakdown of grades) of this sub-population:
AoD

1 2 3 4 5
6 9 38 57 100

mean(AoD)
[1] 4.12381

UR
1 2 3 4 5
3 9 22 78 98

mean(UR)
[1] 4.233333

W3
1 2 3 4 5
7 15 25 62 101

mean(W3)
[1] 4.119048

The correlation of votes between AoD and UR was weak* 0.23 and highly significant (p-obs < 0.001), suggesting that there is at least a little bit of tendency for people who like one to like the other.

Whereas the correlation between AoD and W3 and UR and W3 was nonexistant, and stat. insignificant (corr=0.03, p.obs=0.62 and corr=0.017, p.obs=0.805), meaning that there are very little in common in terms of voting behavior amongst this subgroup when it comes to W3 and the two other games.

(*)I wrote originally mild, which is in some stats books .2-0.4

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Using an extended time frame like this allows us a more meaningful look at the trends and moods of gaming, and it seems to support my mindset. I've never harboured the apocalyptic fantasies of fellow gamers who claim the world is decaying and in the grim dark future there is only war. Indeed, I'm quite optimistic about the future. We've had some truly great RPGs. While Triple A continues to look more and more unsustainable, Indi has thrived. Games are now pitched directly to the audience instead of a marketing middleman named Steve (I hate that guy), and a budding developer has options. It feels as if we have an environment where if a developer has talent and a really good idea, they're more likely than ever to get their shot.

Deleted member 7219

I think I would've preferred two lists, one for action-RPGs (Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Borderlands...) and one for actual RPGs.
and one for jRPGs, and one for turn-based RPGs, and one for story-focused RPGs, and one for music-focused RPGs, and one for your mom.
Leave my mom out of this and I will leave yours out of the next bearded man competition.

Thing is, when you use the only logical definition of RPG - character skill > player skill -, you only need two lists. And one would include all the sub-genres you mentioned.

What is a music-focused RPG, though?

Eternal Sonata, I think. Never played it so can't attest to its quality.

so twelve hours of cutscenes and about 500 hundreds shitty "points of interest" is what it takes to win goty on codex?
lets disregard shitty combat, braindead quest design, awful character development system and illusory c&c.

but muh graphix, muh romances, muh barons questline!!! better writting than PST!!!:salute:

wezcie spierdalajcie na wykop polaczki jebane :M

Deleted member 7219

so twelve hours of cutscenes and about 500 hundreds shitty "points of interest" is what it takes to win goty on codex?
lets disregard shitty combat, braindead quest design, awful character development system and illusory c&c.

but muh graphix, muh romances, muh barons questline!!! better writting than PST!!!:salute:

The combat was a bit shitty but since when did that make a game less of a good RPG?

Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Vampire: Bloodlines, Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Morrowind all had shitty combat.

The character development system was awful though, I agree. But for me, the quest design was actually great, the attention to detail, the reactivity etc all made up for it. C&Cs were only illusory if you played it with your eyes closed and your fingers in your ears.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Dragon's Dogma is number 7?That's impressive,I hadn't realized so many people around here liked it,maybe I should add it to my steam wishlist

Prime Junta

Twitcher 3 was ok for what it is. Some good bits, some bad bits, a shitton of stupid pointless filler, and very pretty.

I think it is telling that it got the top spot though. :decline:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1) What kind of causality can be detected in a poll that is done without any control, no pretest or post-test measurements, like performing polling before a Josh Sawyer interview and another thereafter.
2) Where did I say this poll would be representative of anything given its endogenous nature
3) What would be excactly wrong in restricting analysis to a subsample of voters, if one is interested in their voting behavior in particular

ALSO: If you are livid because of the bloating of W3 average by the poles, why don't you provide a list of them, and it's easy to check the results after excluding them.

1. So I ask you this: how can you analyze anything it and get meaninfull results without any serious measurements? Besides like JS interview or similar events would change the poll results.
2. Your playing with numbers like they mean something, while actually you just wanted Scrooge, Bee and others to get wet because of the size of your "statistical penis".
3. Nothing it's that it's just meaningless, don't pretend that it isn't. This common board room garbage. Peeps analyze shit, without understanding it and then draw conclusions that are as good as the numbers themselves.

You think I keep records of polish residents in codex?

You still didn't answer my question about causality, nor representativeness.

1. Of course it's not serious measurements, it's a frikking poll about video games. The Sawyer was provided as an example of a causal intervention, not necessarily a realistic one.
2. I haven't thought of that but that sounds good. What do you think are my chances? TBH, this stuff isn't very hard or demanding, I don't think anyone would be impressed by it, just good fun.
3. It's no more meaningless or meaningful than the poll itself. It's all for good fun. I can only suspect you've never been to a boardroom or done any statistics.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Infinitron did this poll change your mind at all about your phrases such as "That PoE is bad is a myth perpetrated by a small, but vocal minority while the majority of the codex loves this game". Do you still believe this? I just want to measure how detached from reality you are. Did this bring you back to earth or did you fly away even further after seeing this poll?

The combat was a bit shitty but since when did that make a game less of a good RPG?

Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Vampire: Bloodlines, Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Morrowind all had shitty combat.

The character development system was awful though, I agree. But for me, the quest design was actually great, the attention to detail, the reactivity etc all made up for it. C&Cs were only illusory if you played it with your eyes closed and your fingers in your ears.
how is following the red trail/clicking on all available icons/watching cutscene/choosing one of two available dialogues line a great quest design? there is literally no input from the player. in novihrad there is like one fucking quest where you can fail(vampire killer). everything else is just you making the same braindead actions with geralt telling you exactly what needs to be done.

c&c are nothing more than choosing one of two options in dialogues and watching shitty custcene. there are no consequences besides of geralt comenting on the outcome. there are no consequences for player in gameplay or changes to the state of in-game world(inb4 clearing out bandit camps leads to peasants moving in :roll: )
compare it to MotB and choosing between oku/one of many.

witcher3 is fucking GTA with swords. a good looking action game with better than average writting but its not a good crpg.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron did this poll change your mind at all about your phrases such as "That PoE is bad is a myth perpetrated by a small, but vocal minority while the majority of the codex loves this game". Do you still believe this? I just want to measure how detached from reality you are. Did this bring you back to earth or did you fly away even further after seeing this poll?

Good rating 48.6%, bad rating 20.9%? I'm not losing any sleep lol

Paul_cz

Arcane
So despite some butthurt morons, most people on Codex actually do have a good taste capable of recognizing quality. Fallout Resurrection was great and deserve to be so high, so do Witcher 3, AoD and Underrail. I didn't play Original Sin much, but from what I read it has a great combat system and should be pretty good too. Dark Souls is also great, although personally I don't classify it as an RPG much (any game whose gameplay consists almost exclusively of combat - like Diablo or Dark Souls - I consider more as an action game). I have Dragonfall and Dragon's Dogma on my list to play this year, already bought, so I am glad to see them high - hopefully I will agree with Codex and enjoy them.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
1) What kind of causality can be detected in a poll that is done without any control, no pretest or post-test measurements, like performing polling before a Josh Sawyer interview and another thereafter.
2) Where did I say this poll would be representative of anything given its endogenous nature
3) What would be excactly wrong in restricting analysis to a subsample of voters, if one is interested in their voting behavior in particular

ALSO: If you are livid because of the bloating of W3 average by the poles, why don't you provide a list of them, and it's easy to check the results after excluding them.

1. So I ask you this: how can you analyze anything it and get meaninfull results without any serious measurements? Besides like JS interview or similar events would change the poll results.
2. Your playing with numbers like they mean something, while actually you just wanted Scrooge, Bee and others to get wet because of the size of your "statistical penis".
3. Nothing it's that it's just meaningless, don't pretend that it isn't. This common board room garbage. Peeps analyze shit, without understanding it and then draw conclusions that are as good as the numbers themselves.

You think I keep records of polish residents in codex?

You still didn't answer my question about causality, nor representativeness.

1. Of course it's not serious measurements, it's a frikking poll about video games. The Sawyer was provided as an example of a causal intervention, not necessarily a realistic one.
2. I haven't thought of that but that sounds good. What do you think are my chances? TBH, this stuff isn't very hard or demanding, I don't think anyone would be impressed by it, just good fun.
3. It's no more meaningless or meaningful than the poll itself. It's all for good fun. I can only suspect you've never been to a boardroom or done any statistics.

There are methods.
1. So don't pretend that it's valid. JS example was especially stupid. Might as well name it "causal penetration" for a bigger dramatic effect.
2. With how things are going? May need some "enlargement pills" for your "Statistical manhood".
3. I don't do it daily in my job, did pure stats just in Uni. I have done mostly econometrics, because I believe that descriptive statistics are voodoo. But you just love it so much.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-8_13-52-5.png
    upload_2017-2-8_13-52-5.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Storyfags, storyfags everywhere, duh. Remember that PS:T is our #1 of all time, above any turn-based combat/gameplay-focused games, too. So this isn't really surprising for the Codex, even leaving aside the fact of potato infestation or any difference in actual quality between PST and W3.

In fact, AoD's 2nd place may also be partially explained by its storyfag qualities (you can play it as a non-combat game + it has some pretty memorable scenarios and characters).
lol
You're one to talk.

Let's see at some of your votes:

Dark Souls - 5, DSII - 4, DSIII - 5, Deus Ex: MD - 4, Disgaea - 4, Elminage Gothic - 4, Final Fantasy games 4-5-4-5-5, FTL - 4, GoT - 4, Grandia II- 3, Gurumin - 3, I am Setsuna - 3, Labyrinth of Touhou II - 5, Legend of Grimrock II - 3 (why so low?), Pillars of Eternity - 5, Risen 2 - 2 (higher than Witcher, lol), Shadowrun Hongkong - 3 (other Shadowrun games - 2), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - 5, Toukiden - 4, Tyranny - 4...

In general if it's Japanese you will slurp it and ask for seconds, if it's Obsidian - the same. But seriously, rating Risen 2 higher than Witcher 3 is hilarious, same goes for GoT, PoE, Tyranny or any jRPG. Also, jRPGs are aimed at storyfags so WTF? What do you see in them, gameplay is super repetitive in them so if one doesn't like the story these weaboo games are trash.

pippin

Witcher 3 is a good game, but what should be discussed is how high Valkyria Chronicles is. I think the Codex is secretly in love with anime, especially if it has cute girls and romances.

Is the 'Rance' game with near 0% 'known by' and a 90% (i.e. highest of all) 'quality' rating, part of that Rance series with the, um, 'majestic' Lets Play posted on the Codex a while back?

Because if so, then all the work that went into this graph is more than justified by the possibility that some poor naive individual might stumble across it one day and think 'WOW! I've got to try that Rance game! It sounds like good wholesome crpg entertainment.'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom