Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Released

FeelTheRads

Arcane
having the freedom to make independent choices would counteract the setting or something.

:lol:

This kind of flip-flopping would make Bethesda proud.

Nothing is bad design, lack of talent or cut corners, everything is working as intended. :hero:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not much difference if anything, "no difference" is a huge exaggeration. Siding with Lorenza shuns you from the Commercium, you can also get access to Levir's machine that way. Siding with Strabos is more profitable but you lose the chance to see the machine. As for your "nuke Al-Akia or not", there is a difference, the same goes for nuking Master in Fallout 1 or not (you just get a different ending slide). Do you want to say that it's also on Bioware level? Sorry but comparing retarded Bioware games with Age of Decadence or Fallout 1 is absurd.
All choices have some effects. At very least they influence the state of the world (there's a HUGE difference between siding with Strabos or Athanasius). Same goes for blowing up Al-Akia. If it's not destroyed, Meru will go there and do the ritual without you and the ending slides do reflect that (they mention Meru' sudden illness, which is the ending you get after Ganezzar if you do the ritual; so while it may appear that nothing changed, if you did the ritual before, you know what the 'illness' means).

As for the remaining IG in Teron, if you have a good relationship with Mercato, you can easily get the Sellsword legion IF you need it to break the siege. Many of such outcomes aren't in your face and it's easy to assume that your choices don't matter. Doesn't mean it's true.

Cazzeris

A full talky commercium playthrough of AoD is almost 100% on rails, boils down to doing errand boy deliveries of plans devised by Conspirator_A to Conspirator_B, and when it finally does present you with a choice that seems like something important, it shits all over you because that choice doesn't matter in the least. Spare the remaining IG or enroll them into Antidas's troops? No difference. Give the power in Maadoran to Strabos or Lorenza? No difference. Side with Athanasius or Strabos in Zanzibar? No difference. Persuade Paullus to nuke Al-Akia or not? N o d i f f e r e n c e. It doesn't even matter in the least if you screw Paullus and get Antidas to break the siege, FFS!

How is that NOT Bioware-level?

Ah, you were talking exclusively about the C&C regarding the Commercium's questline. I thought you were saying that the whole talker path of the game was on a Bioware level quality-wise.

I have nothing to argue against that, since it is true that too many of the consequences there only have an impact that can be considered rather cosmetic or are only related to the ending slides (i.e. no real consequences for the player to face).

hivemind

In what world is different flavour text valid consequence? I thought we mocked games for that?
In a world where the decision in question happens near end of the game ?
Like siding with Strabos or Athanasius is a decision that happens at the very end of the MG chapter and it determines the kind of personal/guild ending you get. Calling ending slides flavour texts just proves my autism accusations.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Calling ending slides flavour texts just proves my autism accusations.
lol but that's what it is unless there is a sequel/expansion planned that is gonna take all that into account.

It's funny 'cause ending slides are actually what's "autistic" since it's just filling your need to know what happenz. Who cares nigga, the game already ended.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Because we didn't exactly grow up dreaming with the promise of HBS Shadowrun C&C.
Give an example of a game with better C&C than in AoD. Also, I don't remember "growing up dreaming" with any promises about AoD or any promises being made. People just noticed that AoD has the best C&C in any cRPG and the word spread. Also, the logic "since Shadowrun is a tablet game much can be forgiven" is very flawed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom