Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Age of Decadence German Translation (Deutsche Übersetzung)

Zoneling

Literate
Also, while we're at it, is it going to be "Du hast...", "Ihr hat...", "Sie hat...", etc., for system messages like, "You got 50 imperials"?
Ihr habt

Right now we're rolling with "Du".
We could even do a complete 180 and do it in first person, making it "I got 50 imperials" i.e., "Ich habe 50 Kaisermark erhalten".
You can also just say
50 Kaisermark erhalten

What about the work for Lore itself? Historie? Sage?
Überlieferung or Wissen depending on context

very obviously du hast, why the hell would you want to do anything else

The problem with the "50 Kaisermark erhalten" solution is that it won't work with sentences like "Feng counts 50 imperials and gives them to you" and others like it, and since we need to be consistent, I don't think making exceptions and stuff is a good idea. In that case the Ich thing doesn't work either so stupid idea from my part I guess haha.

We're just going to do another poll I guess. Yay democracy.

Personally I prefer Du.
Also, isn't Ihr plural?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Also, isn't Ihr plural?
I corrected your error "Ihr hat", I didn't want to suggest to use Ihr
I already said earlier in this thread that I used Du for all these kind of system messages, and every time the game itself talks to you as in that Feng example or
You see a group of men
You leave and go somewhere else
You gain 100 credits
and so on and so forth I always used Du.

Zoneling

Literate
Alright, the poll is fucking pointless then lmao.

It's gonna be du, gotcha.
Sorry for the confusion with this, I believe this happened due to someone correcting a Kaisermark message to "Ihr" and that got me confused.

Ty for correcting my fuckups as always lads.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Just wanted to let you know the GenderVars (Male/Female variations) allow blank spaces inside the tags. We need some for the French translation (like <De lui/D'elle>), so maybe you'll need some too. ;)

Kitchen Utensil

I haven't played the game and thus don't know if it would fit, but I like if RPGs address me with the honorific "Ihr", genitive "Euer, eure":

"Ihr habt 5 Erfahrungspunkte [XP, whatever] erhalten".
"Euer Gesundheitszustand verschlechtert sich".
"Eure Habseligkeiten wurden gestohlen".
etc.

For most RPGs that's the most atmospherically fitting translation imo.

"Du", gen. "Dein" is too intimate, and "Sie", gen. "Ihr" too cold and modern in a way.

Last edited by a moderator:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
I remember "Streetwise" gave us a little headache, and from its desc "a mix of differents traits, ranging from shrewd awarness to inability to trust, that are most helpful when one deals with people a lot", we decided to go for "Instinct". Sounds quite different with the Stat Perception which we consider as a more physical trait, while Instinct sounds like a spiritual awareness. "Instinct" seems to work fine with the numerous skillchecks.
If it can help you of course .;)

Last edited:

Zoneling

Literate
I haven't played the game and thus don't know if it would fit, but I like if RPGs address me with the honorific "Ihr", genitive "Euer, eure":

"Ihr habt 5 Erfahrungspunkte [XP, whatever] erhalten".
"Euer Gesundheitszustand verschlechtert sich".
"Eure Habseligkeiten wurden gestohlen".
etc.

For most RPGs that's the most atmospherically fitting translation imo.

"Du", gen. "Dein" is too intimate, and "Sie", gen. "Ihr" too cold and modern in a way.

I kind of agree, but the messages in this game aren't really that of a narrator, I think of it as the avatar addressing the player in a sense.
Either way, I think it's best if we just stick to what we have now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom