Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Age of Decadence German Translation (Deutsche Übersetzung)

Zoneling

Literate

Antigoon

Augur
I just had a quick look at the first sheet. I corrected a spelling mistake, but in general terms like Arena Meister I would write as Arenameister. But that should be consistent over the game of course. With Assassin I am also not quite sure. I remember at least when I played DSA years back it was either an Assassine or Meuchelmörder. Assassin doesnt sound quite right to me, but there I could be totally wrong.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Ok. Just as a side-note, I have changed all mentions of Imperium with Kaistertum, to fit with the currency name a bit more.
I would keep Imperium tbh but IF you want to change it Kaiserreich is better, Kaisertum refers more to the institution of having a Kaiser rather than the realm

Zoneling

Literate
Ok. Just as a side-note, I have changed all mentions of Imperium with Kaistertum, to fit with the currency name a bit more.
I would keep Imperium tbh but IF you want to change it Kaiserreich is better, Kaisertum refers more to the institution of having a Kaiser rather than the realm

Noted.

I just had a quick look at the first sheet. I corrected a spelling mistake, but in general terms like Arena Meister I would write as Arenameister. But that should be consistent over the game of course. With Assassin I am also not quite sure. I remember at least when I played DSA years back it was either an Assassine or Meuchelmörder. Assassin doesnt sound quite right to me, but there I could be totally wrong.

Same for me and the person I had correcting me. Assassin doesn't quite sound right, and it just makes me think of Assassins Creed or some shit.
I think, however, that VoD is correct on this one. Assassin is shorter, and it gets the message across better. This can easily be changed back if something else is decided anyways.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
If you need help, I can help you to improve your glossary with more usual words and expression ;)

Antigoon

Augur

I was going through about half of that doc and made some suggestions in it. Pretty good translation I think. Sometimes I am not quite sure if the chosen word is not too modern, at least if you want to stick to the ancient rome as reference. Like Geld was not known then as a word to describe currency. Geschäft, I am also not sure if that would be the best word. Same for "subtil". But really nice work. For my job I have to go through a lot worse translations of games than this one:D

Zoneling

Literate

I was going through about half of that doc and made some suggestions in it. Pretty good translation I think. Sometimes I am not quite sure if the chosen word is not too modern, at least if you want to stick to the ancient rome as reference. Like Geld was not known then as a word to describe currency. Geschäft, I am also not sure if that would be the best word. Same for "subtil". But really nice work. For my job I have to go through a lot worse translations of games than this one:D

I insterted your suggestions, as I tend to agree with them. VoD can intervene here if desired.

About the whole Geld and subtil thing, I am not sure really. But imo it's the same concept as Assassin, while it may not be (really) old German, it get's the point across better, and it won't matter to most audiences.

Antigoon

Augur
how many words has the game as a whole btw? I am sure I read it somewhere but cant recall...

Kahr

Same for me and the person I had correcting me. Assassin doesn't quite sound right, and it just makes me think of Assassins Creed or some shit.
I think, however, that VoD is correct on this one. Assassin is shorter, and it gets the message across better. This can easily be changed back if something else is decided anyways.
Bei Gothic 3 haben die das so gemacht:
Die Assassine (auch bei Männern)
Die Assassinen
Hat sich vernünftig angehört.

Antigoon

Augur
Bei Gothic 3 haben die das so gemacht:
Die Assassine (auch bei Männern)
Die Assassinen
Hat sich vernünftig angehört.
Agreed, that would be better.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Essentially, copy everything from Gothic. It sort of suits the mood and I still maintain it is by far the most natural-sounding German game.

I don't like Lehrmeister, how about "Gelehrter"?

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Please check my comment in vignette_assassin at @14.
Sometimes, you'll have to apply a polite form for "you" : Sie instead of Du?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That message is out of context.

It appears like a quest completion message, such as "You gain 5 XP!"

In this case, the answer isn't all that clear I am afraid: many games/translators aren't sure how to address the player. The important thing is that you pick one and stick to it.

Here are the pros and cons:

Sie - creates distance, sounds neutral, cold
Du - creates intimacy, sounds familiar, warm

Both have drawbacks in the context of a game (IMO) - I would pick Du. But, actually, I would simply remove the form of address and write "5 XP erhalten."

Edit:

Look, without trying to be rude, glancing over the assassin document, some of the longer passages could do with sounding more natural.

Last edited:

Zoneling

Literate
That message is out of context.

It appears like a quest completion message, such as "You gain 5 XP!"

In this case, the answer isn't all that clear I am afraid: many games/translators aren't sure how to address the player. The important thing is that you pick one and stick to it.

Here are the pros and cons:

Sie - creates distance, sounds neutral, cold
Du - creates intimacy, sounds familiar, warm

Both have drawbacks in the context of a game (IMO) - I would pick Du. But, actually, I would simply remove the form of address and write "5 XP erhalten."

Edit:

Look, without trying to be rude, glancing over the assassin document, some of the longer passages could do with sounding more natural.

Which is why it is open to be commented on! Your criticism is highly valuable, and if you can point out exactly which parts you would like changed (and even better, to what) then please do so :D.
This is a long process and making sure it sounds natural is one of the hardest part of translating something while still retaining the original meaning.

I agree on the XP thing. In this case "Got 5 XP" is better than the "You got 5 XP" due to the iterations of the word in German.

I/we are still debating about Gelehrter and Lehrmeister. Gelehrter makes them sound really wise and smart. Loremasters are con-artists in the game, and the word "lore" in general is basically just fancy for "story", which is why I honestly still don't think we have the right word for it. What I need is a word that accurately conveys that these people focus on old stories and history, and only that, which the word "Loremaster" in English does really well.

Lehrmeister is the term used by most games for this purpose (World of Warcraft: Meister der Lehren as well as Warhammer (https://www.games-workshop.com/de-DE/Lehrmeister-von-Hoeth-der-Hochelfen?_requestid=4453421)), which is why I changed it to Lehrmeister from the original Geschichtsmeister.

Again, let's stick by the XP and money thing. So from now on it's "10 Kaisermark erhalten" instead of Du hast/hat whatever.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
No offense Jasede, but you're right here: "In this case, the answer isn't all that clear I am afraid: many games/translators aren't sure how to address the player. The important thing is that you pick one and stick to it.".
That was just an advice, you've got the right to take it or leave it, it's your translation, not mine. I'm just here to see if I can you in any way or other
As you said, the most important thing is to stick with the form you will choose to apply. You can choose to remove the "you" with infomative messages, but there will be times when it will be harder to consider this choice:
- *You gain a new insight, which can be used to increase your skills*
- *You gain a new insight into the liberal arts and trades, which can be used to increase your non-combat skills*
- *You offer yet another sacrifice to Death, who smiles upon you and rewards your dedication by whispering insights into your ear.*
In such more complex sentences, the choice to remove the "you" doesn't look obvious ;)

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Please check my comment in vignette_assassin at @14.
Sometimes, you'll have to apply a polite form for "you" : Sie instead of Du?
Thats some sort of system message
You gain 50 xp
you gain 100 ducats + the holy orb
etc, I'm using Du for that, likewise assassins talking among themselves= Du
adressing other people in a more formal manner then I'm using Sie/Ihr

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iwMvwFUvR-yphSD-igOR21Z2DOh_Y1HwMETcfq2xG0Q/edit
loremaster vignette=done
Antigoon

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
my German isn't BAD per say

TrumpDisgusting.png

Ippolit

Scholar
Patron
RPG Wokedex Bubbles In Memoria Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How about 'Schriftgelehrte' for Loremaster?. This contains the negative connotation of the Bible (Wehe euch, Schriftgelehrte und Pharisäer, Heuchler, weil ihr reinigt das Äußere des Bechers und der Schüssel, innen aber sind sie voll von Raub und Unmäßigkeit.).

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Loremasters are con-artists in the game
Well... Feng is, and so the player character working for Feng will naturally have to be in the beginning, but apart from that none of the loremasters are really actively trying to scam anyone to my knowledge?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom