Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Age of Decadence Demo Preview

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I don't. They've been (supposedly) working on AoD for years and they are probably still years from the release.
For years ? What could have they possibly been doing? 2-3 months, I understand. Maybe 6 months, if you want to make something special, but years ? That's preposterous ! No game takes that long.

So VD, the big question is: will you stay with TORC or go to another engine after all is said and done for the next big thing?
Most likely stay with Torque.

Vault Dweller

Developer
But VD, you're a developer!
Technically. I like TB and if AoD sells enough, we'll make more TB games and will do our best to develop and evolve TB combat/stealth further. I was talking about the industry in general.

Anyway, can't wait for the game to come out man! Friggin nuts! When will the demo be made to the public?
Soon, I hope. We're working on balance right now, so we're really close.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
If you decide to stick with Torque will it be a cinch to add in now that you have the mechanics worked down or will you have to rebuild from scratch?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Add what? The TB stealth system? Adding it isn't a problem, but it will take months of work and testing to make it good.

curry

Arcane
For years ? What could have they possibly been doing? 2-3 months, I understand. Maybe 6 months, if you want to make something special, but years ? That's preposterous ! No game takes that long.

That's not what I meant and you know it. I meant that since you are going to use a lot of time anyway and don't have a publisher giving you a deadline, you have no excuse to say you couldn't squeeze in turn-based stealth system.

Not that I personally care about it. I'm just pointing out how stupid that sounds.

quasimodo

Augur

That's not what I meant and you know it. I meant that since you are going to use a lot of time anyway and don't have a publisher giving you a deadline, you have no excuse to say you couldn't squeeze in turn-based stealth system.

Not that I personally care about it. I'm just pointing out how stupid that sounds.

So you think its sounds stupid for VD to not want to add something to his game that would delay it for another 6 months or so?

curry

Arcane

So you think its sounds stupid for VD to not want to add something to his game that would delay it for another 6 months or so?

I think it's a stupid excuse. Especially since he's been bashing other games

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This sounds so fucking sweet I wonder why no one's done it before.

You should add it via DLC ;P
Funny, I brought it up in Wyrmlord's stealth thread in grpg and was told it was the shittiest thing ever. :M

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
What the fuck has that gotta do with anything?
It gives you a glimps into the real reason for his mission. You've wronged him once, probably by bashing a game he loves (Oblivion?, Gothic 4: Arcania?) thus making a mortal enemy.
Now he will post his one-liner variant of *lol, varporware* in every thread you show up. But since the varporware topic isn't so cool as of late, with the whole demo thing being released soon, he decided to focus on other things instead, like the time it took to develope AoD or your atrocious design decisions. Wait what, AoD has a bodycount score and NPCs will *magically* know it?! :roll: Preposterous! I mean you took, like, years to develope the game in your sparetime and that's what you come up with? Omniscient NPCs? Years? Especially considering you've been bashing other games.

curry

Arcane
What the fuck has that gotta do with anything?
It gives you a glimps into the real reason for his mission. You've wronged him once, probably by bashing a game he loves (Oblivion?, Gothic 4: Arcania?) thus making a mortal enemy.
Now he will post his one-liner variant of *lol, varporware* in every thread you show up. But since the varporware topic isn't so cool as of late, with the whole demo thing being released soon, he decided to focus on other things instead, like the time it took to develope AoD or your atrocious design decisions. Wait what, AoD has a bodycount score and NPCs will *magically* know it?! :roll: Preposterous! I mean you took, like, years to develope the game in your sparetime and that's what you come up with? Omniscient NPCs? Years? Especially considering you've been bashing other games.

It looks like Codex finally has its own Irontowerdrones. What Xor posted about Bioware in the other thread is worth quoting here:

The devs at Bioware Iron Tower Studio have surrounded themselves with a cult of faithful sycophants and any criticism is dismissed by dozens of loyal posters. Jokes about ding dong bannu aside, the worst part of that this forum isn't the overzealous moderation, it's the echo chamber effect where any voice of dissent is shot down by other posters. It's demoralizing to post legitimate criticism only to be called a troll, or have all your carefully thought out points be called wrong for stupid reasons. Why even bother posting criticism when the reaction is universal? The Bioware Codex forum goers probably think they're perfectly reasonable people, too; they are only sticking up for the best rpg developer evar. Bioware Iron Tower Studio can do no wrong, so anyone who tries to criticize them is either mistaken or just a troll. If you think they've made a mistake, just look at all these posts by people who disagree with you!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It looks like Codex finally has its own Irontowerdrones. What Xor posted about Bioware in the other thread is worth quoting here:
Sorry, I wasn't aware that your fucktarded posting of different variants of "lol, varporware" on every occasion was meant as "criticism". Or that me pointing that out qualifies as being a "faithful sycophant". Some people probably think that complaining on one hand about the long development time, years (!) to be precise, while on the other hand jumping at the opportunity to complain about the lack of a TB sneak system, which would cost even more development time, doesn't make much sense. But those people are clearly wrong and most likely faithful sycophants too. Especially considering VD bashed other games in the past. I mean, how can he bash other games and then decide not to implement a TB sneaking after he figured out it would take too much time? What a hypocritical bastard.

Drowed

Arcane
The devs at Bioware Iron Tower Studio have surrounded themselves with a cult of faithful sycophants and any criticism is dismissed by dozens of loyal posters. Jokes about ding dong bannu aside, the worst part of that this forum isn't the overzealous moderation, it's the echo chamber effect where any voice of dissent is shot down by other posters. It's demoralizing to post legitimate criticism only to be called a troll, or have all your carefully thought out points be called wrong for stupid reasons. Why even bother posting criticism when the reaction is universal? The Bioware Codex forum goers probably think they're perfectly reasonable people, too; they are only sticking up for the best rpg developer evar. Bioware Iron Tower Studio can do no wrong, so anyone who tries to criticize them is either mistaken or just a troll. If you think they've made a mistake, just look at all these posts by people who disagree with you!

Overzealous moderation in Codex. Legitimate criticism here.
...And you want us to believe that this isn't a troll. :roll:

Seriously. The game "x" doesn't have that feature I want. So the game "x" is bad. Mainly because its creator once (well, a lot of times) said that other games are bad. And we all know that to criticize something automatically makes us open to criticism.

Bros, since AoD doesn't have a publisher and can stay in production for all the time of the universe, it must have stealth system, consider light, angle of sight, sound, time of day. The AI of NPCs need to be programmed, they must have a schedule, also respond intelligently to all kinds of clothes you wear in the game and things you do around them. After all, if they have plenty of time (infinity), what prevents him to create the most perfect AI ever made in a game and implement it, so every NPC react accordingly to any event that happens around you? All you need is time. Hear me, I say.

curry

Arcane
Seriously. The game "x" doesn't have that feature I want. So the game "x" is bad. Mainly because its creator once (well, a lot of times) said that other games are bad. And we all know that to criticize something automatically makes us open to criticism.

You sound pretty much just like the people at BSN who defend Bioware

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

You sound pretty much just like the people at BSN who defend Bioware
No, he doesn't.

Clarification: Bioware fans defend games that have ALREADY been released and thus people can have an empirical opinion of them. Age of Decadence is not a released game, thus there is nothing empirical to attack or defend. Huge difference between "defending" a 1 year old game vs "defending" an unreleased game. Not the same situation, doesn't sound the same.

Sacculina

Educated
You blame others for making bad design decisions and their games being dumbed down and then dumb down your own game by leaving out TB stealth. You should swallow your pride and admit I'm right.

'Dumbed down'? From what precedent is it being simplified or streamlined? The game hasn't even been released yet, and the stealth mechanic is barely more than a concept. You may fault VD for not being ambitious enough (which in itself is still an unreasonable complaint), but this is just plain silly.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So curry actually succeeded in trolling you by saying that it was unfair you called his troll for what it was?

Wow.

Drowed

Arcane
Clarification: Bioware fans defend games that have ALREADY been released and thus people can have an empirical opinion of them. Age of Decadence is not a released game, thus there is nothing empirical to attack or defend. Huge difference between "defending" a 1 year old game vs "defending" an unreleased game. Not the same situation, doesn't sound the same.

Not only this.

Criticizing a game for something it didn't necessarily need to have is illogical. It's like looking for a racing game and say, "this is not a good game because it lacks a leveling system". Uh ... What? That makes no sense. Of course, even a racing game can become even better by adding other systems and more complexity to it, but this is not a minimum requirement and should not be something expected from it. Likewise, an RPG can have a complex stealth system, but it's something extra, not something we have to require from the game. Because if we start to require all possible related things, this logic can be applied indefinitely. By implementing the system X, we now want the Y. By having the Y, we want Z. And so on, never ending. Where to put the stop to it? Sould we wait another 10 years until the game has *everything* that *everyone* wants from it?

Bioware's games aren't bad for what they *don't * have, they are bad for things they actually *have* and were poorly implemented. And that's exactly why, to not commit the same error, which makes no sense to expect these things from AOD, or any game for that matter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom