Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The absurd lacking of fantasy turn-based or rts on pc nowadays

Ludovic

Valravn Games
Developer
Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion is a fun turn-based game, with a linked story campaigns and some puzzle-like scenarios. Haven't played more than the first few of campaigns, and I've read the story ends kinda weirdly - for some reason the sequel is a mobile game, which is annoying.

Battle Brothers is the best turn-based tactical of the last couple years, imo - surpassing XCom 2. That's pretty good from a game still in Early Access.

Duelyst is cool because of the mechanics and the multiplayer aspect, but the CCG part may turn off some people.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion is a fun turn-based game, with a linked story campaigns and some puzzle-like scenarios. Haven't played more than the first few of campaigns, and I've read the story ends kinda weirdly - for some reason the sequel is a mobile game, which is annoying.
The fact that the first one was a mobile game as well might have something to do with it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
They released like 6\7 space strategy games in a row last 2 years, why someone doesn't try to be different and make something unique?

You mean, like Eador MOTWB, Age of Wonders 3, Warlock 1-2, Fallen Enchantress, Endless Legend, Thea: The Awakening, Worlds of Magic, HoMMo 7? Oh wai-...

(sure, some of them might be a tad older than 2 years, but gaming is frozen in time since late 2000s, so it hardly matters)

all 4x stuff, more Civ than Xcom. And that demonstrate what i said, they released like TEN 4x in a rown, nobody even though to differenciate a bit and go Xcom route, with focus on tactical battles and procedural (TACTICAL) maps
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Download.htm

Btw, KotC2 seems to be on track and prioritized:
Re: KotC 2 Update
by BlueSalamander » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:33 pm

Hello Prismatic, development is moving forward at a good pace, no worries. I do have a few screenshots I could show but mostly I've been working on the AI so the changes are not very visible in screenshots. Spells are next so there should be some more visible stuff there. Anyway, I'm really enjoying programming the latest parts, as it's all finally coming into shape. Property wise, I have yet to complete that project but I'm working on it. Cheers
icon_e_smile.gif

Old One

Arcane
I bought Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes from the GOG.com sale over the weekend, and so far I like it. I had low expectations because I seemed to see people complaining about it a lot, but I haven't found anything too bad yet. It's MoM-inspired - a bit like AoW is, but inspired in a different direction. Not as good as MoM, of course, but a worthy effort. Good polish. Pleasant but unexceptional art style. Flanking rules in combat are a bit odd, but overall it's nice.

nomask7

Arcane
I fail to see how Battle Brothers is an interesting game, even compared with something like HoMM3. In the latter, you at least have units that are very different from one another, some very slow, some very fast, you'll want to protect some, and some hit hard if you can keep them from being hit hard first (tons of low value units in a stack), some are safer to move straight into combat situations because they are so hardy (high tier units), and so on. In Battle Brothers, you just move around a few units that are pretty much identical and hope you win. Am I missing something?

Mazisky

Magister
I would like if they add some animations on Battle Brothers, graphic and art style are really nice, but combat feels too static

Ludovic

Valravn Games
Developer
Well to me Battle Brothers hits a sweet spot between sandboxy rpg and tactical turn-based game. The progression is fun, I like being to freely roam the map and alternate between exploring/doing contracts. It's true that the battles don't have an element of combined arms to them, but they have a pretty decent AI, solid mechanics, a big focus on maneuver and formation. It's a pretty addictive game for me, and it has grown on me - initially I wasn't that fond of it, but the updates have greatly improved the game from the early versions.

I guess the problem is also that "turn-based strategy" is such a wide category, it covers 4x, tactical squad-level, "boardgamey", large army battles, rpg, grand strategy, etc. Age of Wonders 3 and Battle Brothers are both fantasy and turn-based, but I think they are of completely different genres.

Is there a dearth of non-ccg/tcg fantasy games? Yes, I think so, that's why I am making one. But it's also to some extent a difficult genre, because people want very different things when they ask for a "Fantasy Strategy Game". Personally, I've found the lack of fantasy grand strategy the biggest annoyance, and the heavy focus on tactical battle resolution the second most annoying, so that's the gaps I am aiming to help fill. But there are certainly other areas with a strange void of fantasy games, RTS probably being chief among them.

Cnaiur

Augur
Except that Solium Infernum only works in multiplayer. It's a great game though.

duanth123

Arcane
Was I the only one who played these games? I never seem them mentioned in threads like these.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/32211/

The shadows of destruction begin to loom on the horizon once a human mage uncovers a dark and powerful secret dating back to the remote past of the Elven race.

However, the Elves cannot allow this forbidden knowledge to fall into the hands of others and thus imperil the world. For the first time in countless years, this ancient race must venture forth and interfere with events transpiring in the lands of man. With the renegade mage in their sights, the sorceress Gilwen and ranger-lord Seagate set off together, unaware that beliefs and friendships alike will soon be tested...

• Classic turn-based strategy gameplay
  • Multiplayer combat in 16 different scenarios
  • Multiple endings which depend on your choices
  • Powerful built-in game editor

Steam reviews, because lazy:

A great wargame - a genre that has been quite rare in the past years. Decent storyline and presentation, simple yet deep mechanics, good map design, excellent challenge level.
A must play for wargaming-fans, and a big recommendation for fans of tactical RPGs and turn-based strategy games.

Edit: Since I've noticed that this is a problem for many potential players, I guess I'll be fair and note it here: there are turn limits for the battles, and they are quite constraining. You can't idle around.

If you want a good turn based war game that will challege you, this is it.
All your units gain experiance as they are involved in battles, and level up. With each level you can chose new abilities that make them stronger. Each senario is graded gold silver or bronze based on how many turns it takes you to finish it. Along with the rating comes a bonus in a new unit, or gold, so there is reason to want to finsh with gold. Also, if you finsih some senarios with gold, it opens up bonus senario's. Be warned getting a gold finsih can some times be insanly hard.
The Graphics and sound do the job. The story line is ok, but nothing special. The voice acting is cheesy, but in the end is is a great single player war game.

0000008033.1920x1080.jpg

ss_e4bc25723e71f4a18905cadcc4acc1b223c184ab.1920x1080.jpg
ss_37aa8ae66437a87849eea0e2b9f66c540b93a0f8.1920x1080.jpg

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Was I the only one who played these games? I never seem them mentioned in threads like these.
Fantasy wars was okay, this one seems to have an elf focus, so nope. Nope nope nope.
Unless the expansions add more races.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They were good for what they were (ie Fantasy war clones). And I liked the added variations, but they remain a bit too puzzly to my tastes. That is why I liked Warlock (1/2). If only the AI was not that retarded (I mean, it understood positioning well enough, but the trivial part of debuffing pokemon level units and building stuff that countered it seemed out of reach to it for some weird reason).

nomask7

Arcane

Well, if the fans of that game are generally the kind of people whose idea of intelligent or appropriate commentary is comments like yours, then it's more likely that - as typical - having a brain interferes with enjoying such a game. I know for a fact I'm probably brighter than you, so your comment just seems like stupid cliche that might work in a situation where the game is obviously great and the critic obviously stupid, but here it's just as mediocre and pointless as the game itself.

Mazisky

Magister

Well, if the fans of that game are generally the kind of people whose idea of intelligent or appropriate commentary is comments like yours, then it's more likely that - as typical - having a brain interferes with enjoying such a game. I know for a fact I'm probably brighter than you, so your comment just seems like stupid cliche that might work in a situation where the game is obviously great and the critic obviously stupid, but here it's just as mediocre and pointless as the game itself.

You can't say you don't like a game majority of posters here like. they are just retarded, or they are less then 16 years old, that's pretty much the same

Last edited:

Aothan

Magister
Has Warhammer: Mark of Chaos being mentioned yet, I fear the ai is most probably lacking but the multiplayer back in the day was exceptional, and it has plenty of units and customisation (abilities, heroes, items, banners) for the different factions. Also one of the best introduction in gaming history:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Joke's on me, people were naming only tb games which fooled me. Anyway, no reason to play it when you can re-run Dark Omen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom