Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The absurd lacking of fantasy turn-based or rts on pc nowadays

Mazisky

Magister
A part from few exceptions, like Battle Brothers (that it's still unfinished), there are almost no Rts or Tactics fantasy games on pc, i mean RECENT games, not stuff from 1995.

Legend of Eisenwald is more Rpg, Total war warhammer is kinda inverted (i would prefere TB tactic layer and RT strategic layer)...is it that difficult for developers to just copy paste xcom formula and give a fantasy setting?

They released like 6\7 space strategy games in a row last 2 years, why someone doesn't try to be different and make something unique?

There is a game called Kingsmen that look like fantasy Xcom but you know, still alpha, maybe released on 2018 or never, who knows.

Imho Goldhawk interactive and Gollop lost the chance to do a fantasy game and get the throne, instead they will release some scifi clones following xcom 2 path, anyone really need some game like that?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Did you really just say Gollop lost the chance to do fantasy when he just released Chaos?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mordheim? Massive Chalice? Storm guard? There are more I'm sure.
Note that them existing doesn't necessarily mean that they're good

mondblut

Arcane
They released like 6\7 space strategy games in a row last 2 years, why someone doesn't try to be different and make something unique?

You mean, like Eador MOTWB, Age of Wonders 3, Warlock 1-2, Fallen Enchantress, Endless Legend, Thea: The Awakening, Worlds of Magic, HoMMo 7? Oh wai-...

(sure, some of them might be a tad older than 2 years, but gaming is frozen in time since late 2000s, so it hardly matters)

Mazisky

Magister

You mean, like Eador MOTWB, Age of Wonders 3, Warlock 1-2, Fallen Enchantress, Endless Legend, Thea: The Awakening, Worlds of Magic, HoMMo 7? Oh wai-...

(sure, some of them might be a tad older than 2 years, but gaming is frozen in time since late 2000s, so it hardly matters)

all 4x stuff, more Civ than Xcom. And that demonstrate what i said, they released like TEN 4x in a rown, nobody even though to differenciate a bit and go Xcom route, with focus on tactical battles and procedural (TACTICAL) maps

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Eh, not all of the above games are 4X (HoMM for example). The AoW3 isn't really a 4X game (well, technically it is, but the strategic layer is pretty shallow) and the tactical combat is like a fucking epic monument of prestigious compared to popamoles like nuxcom. I take one good game over many mediocre/shitty ones, that's for sure. Although yeah, it's really funny how no one was able to make a pure 4X fantasy game better than MoM. But sf ones fare only slightly better, cause MoO2 is only what, 2 or 3 years younger?

mondblut

Arcane
all 4x stuff, more Civ than Xcom

Yet you mention popamole war warhammer as passable?

. And that demonstrate what i said, they released like TEN 4x in a rown, nobody even though to differenciate a bit and go Xcom route, with focus on tactical battles and procedural (TACTICAL) maps

Coz straight up tactics are a boring one trick pony. Why limit yourself to this one aspect of gameplay when it synergizes so well with base building, research and shit?

nomask7

Arcane
all 4x stuff, more Civ than Xcom. And that demonstrate what i said, they released like TEN 4x in a rown, nobody even though to differenciate a bit and go Xcom route, with focus on tactical battles and procedural (TACTICAL) maps

Why would you want fantasy squad tactics instead of sci fi squad tactics? Just for the mood? Because in terms of gameplay, sci fi works a lot better with its wide variety of ranged weapons than low-magic fantasy like Battle Brothers that has to rely mostly on melee stuff. Of course, things are a little different if it's squad tactics devoted to magic users...

Mazisky

Magister

Why would you want fantasy squad tactics instead of sci fi squad tactics? Just for the mood? Because in terms of gameplay, sci fi works a lot better with its wide variety of ranged weapons than low-magic fantasy like Battle Brothers that has to rely mostly on melee stuff. Of course, things are a little different if it's squad tactics devoted to magic users...

1- Because the most similar Xcom games ever released are pretty modern era ( Xcom 2 - JA2 - Silent Storm - Hard West), so fantasy would be refreshing and intriguing

2- Because with the amount of classes and magic that high fantasy can provide, it would fills perfectly with both melee and ranged combat, and of course spells of every kind. Also, xcom is pretty 90% ranged combat, some melee stuff with tanks and such will vary gameplay even further

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I suggest to the OP and the rest in here to try Mordheim: City of the Damned.
Or are you going to continue ignoring the existence of a game that proves that the argument is invalid?

Mazisky

Magister
@Jimmiious, Massive Calice has crap art direction that it doesn t even seems fantasy, it could be scifi at first look.

Mordheim never tried and i thought it was 3rd person stuff, not isometric

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
3rd person or not it's a really good tb strategy game that can also be very hard too.
You have a 3rd person camera when moving the characters which sounds "weirdish" but it grows on you.
It's a good game.

Mazisky

Magister
3rd person or not it's a really good tb strategy game that can also be very hard too.
You have a 3rd person camera when moving the characters which sounds "weirdish" but it grows on you.
It's a good game.

Il give it a try!

vota DC

Augur
Battle for Wesnoth is quite recent and about fantasy squads tactics.

Total war warhammer is kinda inverted (i would prefere TB tactic layer and RT strategic layer).

Usually is both tactical and strategy turn based or it is like warhammer. Among newest game JA2 is the closest to your example but the strategic part use time slider like grand strategy paradox games.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Jesus, you gonna disregard games now because of brown? Anyway, I can only repeat my recommendation of AoW3. It's a good choice if you want some tactical battles in a fantasy setting. Lost of possible party combinations/synergies/spells/skills, decent character customization, gathering and crafting items for your heroes - itz gud. The graphics suck, but what can you do, we're not living in the nineties anymore so cannot expect computer games that are pretty.

Mazisky

Magister
Jesus, you gonna disregard games now because of brown? Anyway, I can only repeat my recommendation of AoW3. It's a good choice if you want some tactical battles in a fantasy setting. Lost of possible party combinations/synergies/spells/skills, decent character customization, gathering and crafting items for your heroes - itz gud. The graphics suck, but what can you do, we're not living in the nineties anymore so cannot expect computer games that are pretty.

I consider the art direction a lot in games, it's even more important that graphics. AoW3 is a really nice game and it's standard classic fantasy, even if not original i like the art. The tactical parts are good and there are lot of varied environments but the strategic part is pretty boring.

AoW3\Xcom\KIng Bounty tactical parts is what i like the most, but for strategic i would prefere a single hub\base managment like Xcom series, not a 4x exploration stuff, ofc it's personal taste

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
You can try Drums of War and the Age Of Fear series. EDIT : Also, Telepath Tactics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom