Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"That one MMORPG" theory

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
I have this theory that I've concieved (and it might not be something new) that most of the gamers have "that one mmorpg" they've spent hundreds of hours on. For some it's WOW, for others it was Lineage 2. I did play both a bit, but for me "the one" was Lord of the Rings Online.

They've had great world building, I did by chance got into a great RP guild right away - and well I did speng good amount of my youth in that game.

Is that true as well in your case? Do you have "that one" MMORPG? Share the story please, I am genuienly interested.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes, I totally agree. My first real mmorpg was WoW and I always come back to it. Every other mmorpg I tried over the years bored me to tears after a short while but WoW I can always crawl back and feel home. Sure, the game changed over the years and honestly I think it declined pretty badly but I still like it. Especially for the pvp, somehow the game has pvp in WoW feels unique to me, especially as a healer.

Gregz

Arcane
Yes, EverQuest.

I have hundreds (thousands, who am I kidding) of hours in other games that I did enjoy, like Anarchy Online and WoW, but EQ was that first MMO experience I will never have again.

I remember so many wonderful and terrifying experiences from that game, but the one I remember most vividly was running on foot from Qeynos to Freeport for the first time at level 11? I had been playing about a week. I rolled an Erudite Wizard in Erudin, and leveled around there for a while solo-nuking snakes, and spiders, and other small things. When all of those turned green, I had to travel to Qeynos by ship. That's when I started joining small groups of other players in Blackburrow to fight gnolls. All of this was incredibly perilous by the way, dying meant that you lost XP, and you had to somehow run back to your corpse and retrieve it, or you would lose ALL of your gear. I have never seen a more severe death penalty in an MMO before or since.

Anyway, after things went green in BB, it was time to head to EC (East Commonlands). I had heard I could level up more in Oasis, and the central trading hub at the time (coordinated entirely through /ooc), was located at the EC tunnel. It was the place to be.

So I girded up my loins and prepared for the extremely dangerous trip. This was a cross-continental journey I had never taken before, never seen before.

I zoned out east from Qeynos Hills into West Karana, it was dusk which made for perfect coloration of that zone. Lots of auburn colors, cornfields, farmhouses, trees with yellow and orange leaves, etc. I was running easterly along the middle of the road, listening and watching very carefully for anything that I might accidently aggro and pull. I probably couldn't outrun whatever I pulled, and I certainly couldn't solo it, but it was all unknown back in those days. No guides, only the most basic maps, etc. So I'm moving down this dirt road, and I begin to crest a hilltop when I start to hear a distant 'scritching' sound. My footstep sounds stopped, as I decided to stop moving, and listen more carefully. It was getting louder. I looked around me and couldn't see anything, night was falling but there was sill some daylight, it was late dusk. Then to my absolute horror I saw a MOB approaching from over the hill, coming directly at me, indistinct, but HUGE. I was bigger than anything I had ever seen, bigger than anything I even imagined was in the game, and it was moving up the hill on the opposite side, in the middle of the road towards me...all I could see was a huge dark mass, like some kind of lurching unavoidable lovecraftian horror, pathing right for me. The 'scritching' got louder and louder, and I knew (from previous experience) that I couldn't outrun this. I moused over it and it was a RED MOB, it was SO MASSIVE, and I was still only seeing the top of it on the other side of the hill moving toward me. At that point I was literally frozen with fright in my chair.

I knew that I would die, I knew that I would lose about 4 hours work of grinding xp, I knew I would have to risk running back here again to retrieve my corpse before all of that or I might lose my +2CHA earring, and dagger, and robe that I had spent all of my copper and quest time grinding to find over the past week. But none of that registered until well after...all I felt in that moment was terror, and I KNEW I was dead.

The 'scritching' got UNBEARABLY LOUD (the volume was set very high so I could hear anything from a distance in order to try to avoid it, or run). I was waiting in abject horror, with my eyes closed, for the sound of that single attack swipe, and then the reload screen to announce my death, but it never came. Eventually the 'scritching' sound started to fade behind me, and I managed to open my eyes, and turn around. It was a Treant. I later learned that the reason it didn't attack me was because of faction rules. I was neutral to it.

None of the above would have felt real at all if it wasn't for the terribly punishing death penalty in EQ, but that experience was unlike anything I have ever felt in a cRPG before or since.

Npc_a_treant.jpg

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
A certain MUD, then NWN shards that were MMO-like. WoW came later and was too casual even in Vanilla for me. Player loot didn't drop. I couldn't grasp why could anyone possibly want to design a game like that. THE LOOT DOESN'T DROP.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think an RPG enthusiast must at some point thought that MMORPGs are awesome and we're not gonna need a single player game ever again, even the older generations would have such experience after trying UO for the first time.

For me.... It was Ragnarok. I think it's the only Korean MMOs that gave some freedom for character builds.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have only played 2 MMOs for longer periods of time, and those are EVE and The Secret World. I'm not saying I've played them for a thousand hours, but I've played EVE for around 200 hours (not anymore) and I'm still playing TSW, although I don't think I've put 100 hours in it. MMOs are not my thing overall, but those are so different from the rest of the bunch, that I can enjoy them in small bursts.

I'm not interested in the social aspects of these games, I'd rather have these turned into proper single player RPGs with a decent, less grindy combat System.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Asheron's Call was fucking amazing. Because it tried to be different, and that actually worked. Also the story and lore had some great teams behind that.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Asheron's Call was fucking amazing. Because it tried to be different, and that actually worked. Also the story and lore had some great teams behind that.
Different how? I heard AC was in vein with other MMOs of its time.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Don't really have a darling MMO. I just go back and forth as I please between FF14 and EQ and now recently dipped back to WoW for a little look at how things have changed. FF14 gets the most attention because I'm part of an active guild with nice people.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not really. A good bit of Phantasy Star Universe with friends and family, but every other MMO I've tried I usually drop within a week or so. Those games are incredibly boring to me, especially at the beginning. I've never gotten into any guilds, parties or raids, so maybe that's the problem.

Kitchen Utensil

I have played a good 1000 or so hours of Guild Wars back then, because I loved the skill system (and the community was pretty good, by MMO standards). The amount of viable builds, synergies between spells etc. was mind-blowing imo; so much to experiment with. The world was very nice, too. People always told me that wasn't an MMORPG though, whatever. A fucking shame they threw everything good about it out the window with Guild Wars 2. Haven't really touched another MMORPG since.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Ultima Online. The feeling of being online together with thousands of other people, and that your progress meant something and stuck, the risk of getting killed every time you left town, the crafting, the exploring, the roleplaying chances. Being in a guild, raiding other guilds, all this shit was new to me and it seemed awesome.

WOW was ok at the beginning, the best part of this kind of games is always being a newb, exploring the world, finding stuff out. Once you know enough to be able to "metagame" one way or another, I just lose interest.

The last game to give me such a sensation was Darkfall. That game had all the potential to be awesome, too bad it was in the hands of retards. But while I was playing, and before blatant cheating took over, it was a great game.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Silkroad Online... the chinese lore was great, the visuals great at that time, but the one thing which made it really outstanding, were the Trade Runs. Imagine a caravan with warriors, mages, big trading animals like elephants and giant lizards bearing trade goods worth millions of the ingame currency, desperately trying to get to the next town, and which could be attacked anytime by a huge group of thieves. The battles were epic.

This was so much better than all the PvP modes I've seen in other MMOs (like Castle Wars, randomly generated dungeon instances for groups, or 1vs1 PvP).

Unfortunately this game died because of the awful grinding (which was really awful), botters, and masses of goldbots. It's also sad that the only possible successor "Legend of Silkroad" did not make it very long. I had high hopes for it. I'll probably never touch any other MMORPG not offering similar feature and setting.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Ultima Online. The feeling of being online together with thousands of other people, and that your progress meant something and stuck, the risk of getting killed every time you left town, the crafting, the exploring, the roleplaying chances. Being in a guild, raiding other guilds, all this shit was new to me and it seemed awesome.

This pretty old school, didn't play myself, only heard good things about it.

I can only judge from all those YouTube videos of servers shutting down, I guess it was special.

Delterius

Arcane
I have 'those ones'.

Tibia: the very first one and the one I still play from time to time.

2-1.jpg

'use english for the love of god' summarizes the whole 'german college project turned MMO played mostly by BRs and Poles' quite well.

Dorky Ultima VI clone with heavy death penalties. While most people nowadays play it for the addiction to experience (level tables grow infinitely and exponentially), I played it for the exploration and quests. Lots of 'mysteries' that endure to this day, in a fashion that surpasses even the more obscure of NwN PWs.

If I was to pick 'The One' from this list, it would be Tibia: I made a friend for life in that game. I was a kid and level 10, tops. Killing low level monsters in one of the three Ice Islands. This guy approaches, asks me if I want to help him with something. I say 'what the hell, if its a trap I'm still low level anyway'. He showed me a hidden hole that takes us to another one of the islands. We can't rope our way back, so we must find the exit on our own. This meant to low level characters killing a horde of Minotaurs and Beholders. It was hard, even with his pilfered stash of runes and potions from his older brother. Nearly died multiple times. In the end, we stood tall.

I can also remember going back and forth the deserts of Daraman, quizzing NPCs and reading books at the City of Necromancers, at the City of Pyramids and the hidden fortress of the Jinn in an attempt to decipher what might be the lost language of God/Angels/Demons and whatever else in that world. No real content solved, no EXP gained for days. And, still, all those hours are close to my heart. Especially my own theories, some of which panned out over time.

Exura Sio Darth Roxor
latest

Ragnarok Online: Grind Hell Korean MMO. I played it for the animu and my many friends who played it as well. The single most miserable experience I am sometimes nostalgic for. Me and three others held a monopoly over Healing/Support on our server because nobody wanted to play as Priests. This meant we could charge millions for the usage of our portal spells during PvP Wars (when players siege each other's castles). My guild leader would send me money out of desperation even though I didn't ask for it. Sweet soundtrack.

One memory is close to my mind: Ragnarok had a 'Rebirth' mechanic which resets your level but lets you reach super classes. As a young Novice (healer), I helped a new player for dozens of levels without him ever knowing I was a veteran. Friends for life.

World of Warcraft: the worst thing to happen to the Warcraft series ever since Aeon of Strife. You know about it. I started playing WoW at late Vanilla and made it semi seriously all the way to Lich King. My friends were mostly into PvP but we did PvE casually, filling the team with PUGs. Was a horrible experience, but it made it all the more awesome when our group of scrubs finally killed something. Tried playing it again in Cataclysm and Legion but never found time to commit to raids, which sucks.

I still remember the first time we killed the first oss at ICC. Everyone died, except me and the hunter. I was the last to deliver the blow, after a smart blink that bought me enough time for one last cooldown. The party was glorious. The raid decided to award me all the Spellcasting damage items from that moment forth and they dropped almost all the time.

Final Fantasy XIV: the Animu slowed down version of WoW that started as a disaster but turned around via the magic of plagiarism. Would never go back to WoW since the community is genuinely nice. Must be all the girls playing cat boys. Also people go out of their way to worship the Healers. Which is great since thats me. 'Story heavy' in the BioWarian MMO sense, though the story is your average adventure where the writing varies from competent to 'so bad its funny'. Level scaling makes sure you are always doing something entertaining with your time. Awesome soundtrack.

I remember healing a party made up of Husband + Wife and their Son. Funniest shit of all time, I was holding their hands through the whole instance. Explaining mechanics and such. It was great and the kind of genuine fun I don't get outside of my own circle of friends.

Bonus Level: Secret World Legends.

A pleasant surprise from this year, the re-release of a game which should have been single player to begin with. Combat is a worse and more actiony version of WoW. What's interesting is the urban fantasy setting and the Puzzle/Investigation quests, which have everything from scouring the real life internet for dummy addresses to interpreting Morse Code.

Partying with random people over Discord to solve an encryption puzzle without using Wikias never gets old.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
This pretty old school, didn't play myself, only heard good things about it.

You have no idea. It went from the non-existence of what we think of today as mmorpg, to a continuously existing world, where you could work, craft, trade, put down your own house (your own CASTLE!), beg, steal, cook food, chop wood, fight, explore... It was glorious...

anarchy online
twinking a character was just too much fun. unfortunately both interface and mechanics grew old fast, its ui and grind are unbearable today but i still remember it fondly. also i had some serioud rp and pvp fun overthere.

neocron beta
best mmorpg ever. no contest. everything was perfect, features had yet to come and the future was bright. then the more beta came to its end the more features were actually pulled out, not even cancelled, pulled out, and the fewer there were the more the bugs grew in number and seriousness ending in a total messy disastrous catastrophe, but this is another story

guild wars
it was about fucking time for something different, and gw delivered for years. maybe it would still be delivering if not for that horriterribad abortion of abomination named guild wars 2.

Deleted member 7219

World of Warcraft. Great game that I return to once a year, spend about two months playing it non-stop, get tired, then put it aside until next year.

Before that, Star Wars Galaxies - and that was my first MMO. Never played MMOs before then because the idea of a monthly fee rubbed me the wrong way. I put that concern aside because it was Star Wars. Did the same for WoW because it was Warcraft.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
neocron beta
best mmorpg ever. no contest. everything was perfect, features had yet to come and the future was bright. then the more beta came to its end the more features were actually pulled out, not even cancelled, pulled out, and the fewer there were the more the bugs grew in number and seriousness ending in a total messy disastrous catastrophe, but this is another story
Oh, yeah, I remember that!
That was really an extremely promising game that just got worse and worse the longer it was out. Pretty sad, the atmosphere was spot on.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I disagree for myself for the most part. Nothing can hold my attention for long. At one point I had "that one mmorpg" thing with wow during BC and WotLK. But not really since I came and went without ever being constant.

I wanted to but couldn't get into UO or EQ or AC. AO was the first mmorpg I was into a lot, and that only lasted about a month. Then was Shadowbane and another month. Then WoW and ca couple months straight and a month here and there. Since then some games I've put a good amount of time into, and which became my "that one mmorpg" for me for that time or times have been DDO, CHampions Online, City of Heroes, SWTOR, AO, LotRO, Wildstar, Rift, probably some others I can't think of. I probably put as more time into DDO at this point than WoW, which has become a child's game for retarded people and children. My Wildstar time is probably about equal to WoW. The only difference is I will most likely never play WoW again unless add multiple systems in the game for adults with brains (starting with a much more diverse chardev system to rival what was in WotLK), and will play the shit out of DDO once the new expansion comes out.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
anarchy online
twinking a character was just too much fun. unfortunately both interface and mechanics grew old fast, its ui and grind are unbearable today but i still remember it fondly. also i had some serioud rp and pvp fun overthere.

You should try it again. I don't know what was the last version you played but with the global market thing and some other changes AO is still one of the best mmorpgs out there. The UI takes a lot of fucking with to get to work well, but it isn't nearly as bad as it was. Also the grind isn't that bad with the shadowlands content. Not until you get to lvl 200 and soloing becomes a grind, but grouping for those sl fast run dungeons is pretty fast but still annoying if you prefer solo content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom