Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tex Murphy Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
..... I just clicked on the youtube link on that video and noticed it's an official trailer.

Oh Chris, you're the best :love:

I think I officially have a new favourite Chris now.

This is the best $100 that I spent last year.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
2014-09-05_00002h7kg1.jpg

This fucking game.

:bravo:

Another Sleeper hit found... Thank you Codex.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Started playing since I picked it up in the Humble Bundle. So far I'm on Day 3 and somewhat underwhelmed. Maybe my memories of the other games were clouded by nostalgia? I remember the first, Mean Streets, being a lot more interesting as questioning was done with a keywords rather than a list and you actually had to do some investigating/poking around to find out what to ask certain people about. That and sending faxes off to your informants, finding addresses to search for clues, etc. Tesla Effect is essentially: solve one simple puzzle, talk to a few people, search a few small locations and pick up one or two obvious items. You then repeat this multiple times.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Started playing since I picked it up in the Humble Bundle. So far I'm on Day 3 and somewhat underwhelmed. Maybe my memories of the other games were clouded by nostalgia? I remember the first, Mean Streets, being a lot more interesting as questioning was done with a keywords rather than a list and you actually had to do some investigating/poking around to find out what to ask certain people about. That and sending faxes off to your informants, finding addresses to search for clues, etc. Tesla Effect is essentially: solve one simple puzzle, talk to a few people, search a few small locations and pick up one or two obvious items. You then repeat this multiple times.

The game is obviously modeled after Under a Killing Moon and the Pandora Directive, not the pre-FMV Tex Murphies

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
And it's still merely a shadow of those two games. UAKM and PD were both very good adventure games. Tesla felt like a cross between a hidden object game and 7th Guest. I liked it for what it was, a return of the series. But I sure hope they get their puzzle design straight for the next one.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hidden object game is the perfect way to describe it. Doesn't really feel like an adventure game at all.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I'm very butthurt about the actual awards. Fucking Blackwell Epiphany for best story? You mean that plot-riddled IAMJESUS abortion? Vomit.

At least the readers voted for Tex in all the categories that mattered.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, I just finished it. Mini-Review coming up :

Writing/Presentation: :4/5:
Tex is back with style. Everything you loved about the previous game's crime noir / comedy / sci-fi combination is still here. This game's story and dialogs are filled with b-movie fun and awesome sarcastic and humorous gumshoe monologues and remarks. The FMV is FANSTASIC. Probably the best I've seen so far. This game basically proves that FMV cutscenes can be done circa 2015 and they can fucking kick ass if they are done right. The devs sure know how to film their scenes and coach the actors to perform. This is their best FMV work so far.

Gameplay/Puzzles :2/5:
Tex has shown in the past the only road FMV adventures can go is by combining FMV cutscenes/dialog with actual 3D environments to explore. The 3D graphics could use some polishing when it comes to movement and assets, but nevertheless, the game provides some pretty atmospheric and good looking locales to explore. However, the actual puzzles are rather lacking overall. While you have a couple of good ones, you also have some pretty bad ones. A couple of frustrating Pixel hunting puzzles, a couple of poor stealth sequences and one agonizing timed puzzle, reared their ugly heads. The rest were of the very easy "find the item and use it on some other item nearby" variety. Not enough investigation, not enough questioning, not enough good puzzles that actually flow with the plot. On the bright side you have 3 different paths depending on the way you handle conversations and some situations (good/neutral/cynical) that will partly influence the ending, and also 3 different "romance" paths that will give some unique backstory and some, unique to the path, areas.

Overall :3/5:
This one reminds me a lot of Under A Killing Moon. UAKM was also a new page in the series since it was the first 3D/FMV Tex game and while it was p.good, it lacked a bit in both the puzzles and length. Considering the very small budget they had for Tesla Effect, both the length and presentation of the game exceed my expectations, but in the puzzle department things didn't go that well. Now that they have the engine and they are back on track, I'm sure that the next game (I hope there will be one) will be in the league of Pandora Directive.

Deleted member 7219

Totally agree in regards to the quality of the presentation. The movies are done really well and the writing is just like the old Tex games. It just felt a little shorter and a bit more simple than UAKM and TPD but it is a miracle they managed to make it at all.

They did say that there would be one final Tex game but they may have said that on the assumption that Tesla Effect would sell well.. and there is no indication that is the case.

Tesla Effect wrapped up the Overseer cliffhanger, but it created a few of its own.
The bad guy just ran away, what's he doing now?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Tesla Effect wrapped up the Overseer cliffhanger, but it created a few of its own.
The bad guy just ran away, what's he doing now?
Even if it's not explicitly shown, the translator seemingly went to meet his late wife. As for the man with the shades and hat, if you go the lonewolf way or the Cynical/Chelsee way, you get the petrified forest scene after the credits, where Tex has a showdown with him.

otsego

Cipher
Game was great. Often simplistic, often tedious, but the FMV and humor were spot on.

While the environments and such were indeed dated, it seemed to me like they added to the campiness of TeX in general and thus didn't stick out as a negative.

Would back again.

Churrasco

Augur
Patron
Wasteland 2
I recently remembered they made more radio theatre episodes for a kickstarter tier ($160), anyone pledged high enough that you could *cough* lend them to me?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/texmurphy/tex-murphy-project-fedora/posts/1047093

Backer update, or... the case of the remaining incentives.

8d5fb77c613a24c9ad93323217514fed_original.jpg

Hello Tesla Effect backers and followers,

As you are aware: there are currently two outstanding backer reward items from the Project Fedora / Tesla Effect campaign:
  • “The Making of Tex Murphy” documentary
  • Radio Theater Episodes
In this update, we have exciting news regarding both of these items!

“The Making of Tex Murphy” documentary

Get a never before seen detailed insight into the history of the longest running PC adventure game franchise of all time. Learn where it all began: from humble beginnings though long-lasting friendships and professional relationships. See Tex Murphy’s birth on home video and quirky short films to his rebirth on the PC screen and beyond. Explore the challenges that came with producing some of the most innovative game titles of their time, all the way through to Tesla Effect and the new era of Adventure.

This professional documentary covers everything you wanted to know about Tex Murphy over the course of 45 minutes. We are extremely proud of its production and can’t wait to share it with you!

The documentary will be for everyone!

Originally the documentary was going to accompany the “Soundtrack” and “High Resolution Poster” incentives (both already delivered to backers) for the $30 reward tier. It still is, but we believe the documentary is so good that it should be shared with the rest of the world! With this in mind, we are going to make it available to everyone by publishing it on Big Finish Games’ YouTube channel after a special online premiere event!

However, as a special thanks to those who donated for this particular tier, you will get a download link to a higher-resolution full HD version to download and keep! In addition to this, we will be immortalizing you with a special mention in the credits of the documentary.

dc26e1ed136a540508c24c2dba94a057_original.jpg

Documentary party / premiere event!

Documentary party / premiere event! To celebrate the release of the documentary, we will be hosting a LIVE STREAM premiere on Twitch. There, you will have the opportunity to watch the video before it is released and share your thoughts in a live chat. After the stream is over, we will announce where you can find the video online, and the download link for the high resolution version will be activated for all eligible backers.

The premiere live stream party will be held on Saturday December 2nd at 1pm MST (8pm UTC/GMT, 3pm EST, 12pm PST, 9pm CET - all times are still Saturday December 2nd), and will be streamed at: twitch.tv/ChronoWolfLive – be sure to sign up to Twitch (if you don’t already have an account) and follow the above channel to be notified of when the stream goes live! You must have a Twitch account to participate in the live chat. A VOD (Video On Demand) version will be recorded to the Twitch channel to watch later for those who cannot make it to the live event.

The Documentary screening will be followed by a special live event. Keep reading to find out more.

Radio Theater Episodes

The radio theater episodes have definitely been one of the most challenging rewards to deliver due to the sheer undertaking they would require. Producing 6 episodes complete with multiple actors, sound and music is no small feat, and we apologize for not having the time to commit to this project.

There is also another very good reason for the delay...

Originally, when the radio theater episodes were written (during the production of Tesla Effect) it was assumed that Tesla Effect *may* be the last Tex Murphy game. As a result, Aaron’s scripts for the radio theater provided a much more “conclusive” approach. However, in light of recent internal developments it’s now likely that the Tex Murphy series will continue with more games.

This unfortunately renders the existing scripts for the radio theater obsolete. Rather than rewrite all-new episodes, Aaron has decided to focus his efforts on integrating updated content into an all-new novel that will help bridge the gap between Overseer and Tesla Effect.

We cannot provide any hard dates as to when this novel will be completed, but rest assured the story that would have featured in the radio theater is going to play a role in a much bigger exploration of the Tex Murphy universe with this new novel!

To help compensate backers for not doing the Radio Theater, Aaron Conners has offered to give eligible backers the first section of his novel for free. This will be available within the next several months.

Get ready for some really exciting news!

The Tex Murphy saga has spanned almost 30 years, but is by no means over. Amazing things are currently happening behind the scenes to bring this series to its well-deserved climax.

We will be making some big announcements at the end of the Making of Tex Murphy Documentary Premiere streaming event. The post-documentary show will be a live stream with Aaron Conners and an all-new development team ‘Chaotic Fusion’. We encourage all interested backers, fans and players to stick around after the screening of the documentary so you can learn all the details and ask your questions!

Thank you for being the greatest game community on the planet!

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our Tesla Effect backers for their continued support and patience. We are proud of what we were able to deliver to fans, humbled by the amazing response you have given us over the years, and are excited about the future.

Thank you,

Big Finish Games

Boleskine

Arcane
This game deserved a much better reception than it received. Big Finish delivered exactly what they promised and did that on time, within 2 years. Tesla Effect was a fun throwback to the older Tex Murphy games and a pretty good modern take on an FMV adventure. It had the cheesy sci-fi that you'd expect and didn't take itself too seriously.

Fucking Richard Cobbett.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Originally the documentary was going to accompany the “Soundtrack” and “High Resolution Poster” incentives (both already delivered to backers) for the $30 reward tier. It still is, but we believe the documentary is so good that it should be shared with the rest of the world! With this in mind, we are going to make it available to everyone by publishing it on Big Finish Games’ YouTube channel after a special online premiere event!

However, as a special thanks to those who donated for this particular tier, you will get a download link to a higher-resolution full HD version to download and keep! In addition to this, we will be immortalizing you with a special mention in the credits of the documentary.
I'm not sure how to take this. Does it mean that anyone who donated MORE than $30 won't get the HD version to download? This sounds a bit... stupid.

Originally, when the radio theater episodes were written (during the production of Tesla Effect) it was assumed that Tesla Effect *may* be the last Tex Murphy game. As a result, Aaron’s scripts for the radio theater provided a much more “conclusive” approach. However, in light of recent internal developments it’s now likely that the Tex Murphy series will continue with more games.
OMG OMG OMG :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

This game deserved a much better reception than it received. Big Finish delivered exactly what they promised and did that on time, within 2 years.
I didn't back that many Kickstarters, but I have to say there are virtually none that I wish I had when I didn't, and of those that I did back TE is the one I was happiest with in terms of delivering exactly what it promised and what I'd expected.

And as someone who had a minor problem with getting the incentives, I have to praise their superlative customer service, who went out of their way to get me all my items, and who even threw in a little extra even though the problem was only partly theirs, and also in part my own fault.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Whoops: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/texmurphy/tex-murphy-project-fedora/posts/2056583

Radio Theater: The Big P.I. in the Sky has heard you!

9927610ce5f60b7a49e90753b9583b63_original.jpg

Hello Tesla Effect / Project Fedora Backers and Fans,

In our previous update, we proposed what turned out to be a really bad idea. Out of ignorance and/or forgetfulness, we had to be reminded that the Radio Theater Kickstarter reward was on its own tier, hence of significant value to those who donated at that level. The passionate feedback we received was gratifying and humbling; we honestly didn’t realize how excited fans were about a new Radio Theater.

However, our justifications for the really bad idea are still valid. Aaron’s existing scripts cannot be used in light of recent developments (unless you’re the type who enjoys having the plot spoiled before you get a chance to watch/read/play).

So here’s the new plan:

We will produce a new Radio Theater (6 episodes) that picks up from the end of the first Radio Theater (released in the early 2000’s). As mentioned in the previous update, Aaron has begun work on an all-new novel that picks up from the end of The Pandora Directive and fills the gap leading up to Tesla Effect. Both Radio Theaters (old and new) are part of this new story and are connected to what happens in both the upcoming Poisoned Pawn story and the series finale.

How and when will the new episodes be delivered?

Aaron will aim to have the 6-episode radio adaptation of his new novel written shortly after the completion of the novel itself. This is projected to be early 2018. We will then aim to record the episodes shortly afterwards. In which case, we estimate the release of these episodes to be around late Spring/early Summer 2018.

Episodes will be released for eligible backers weekly over the course of 6 weeks, and each episode will be accompanied by a special “insights” cast by Aaron Conners (& special guests). In these bonus casts, Aaron will provide further insight into the story and how it ties into the Tex Murphy universe.

Will non-eligible backers or the general public get to experience these episodes too?

We will be releasing these episodes to non-eligible backers and the general public, but in an effort to avoid devaluing the commitment from our eligible backers, we are going to release them as bonus content alongside the purchase of Aaron’s new novel.

The novel and the accompanying radio theater episodes will be available to buy a few months after the initial release to backers, and shortly before the release of the new game towards the end of 2018.

We certainly hope this news comes as a pleasant surprise to all of you who backed Project Fedora for the Radio Episodes and above and look forward to delivering these episodes to you as soon as we can!

Don’t forget the Tex Murphy Special Event!

Come join us for the “Making Of Tex Murphy” documentary, as well as the post-screening special event, this coming Saturday (December 2nd) at 1pm MST (8pm GMT / 12pm PST / 3pm EST) – (7am AUS/EST Sunday).

The event will be streamed live on Twitch at: http://twitch.tv/ChronoWolfLive

If you would like to participate in the live chat, be sure to sign up to Twitch if you don’t already have an account, and follow the above channel to be notified when the stream goes live!

Thanks for being amazing!

Big Finish Games.

65a2f521244258a45458b910448c3f67_original.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately this reminded me that the "new game" is The Poisoned Pawn, aka the remake of the remake.

Le sigh.

Deleted member 7219

Unfortunately this reminded me that the "new game" is The Poisoned Pawn, aka the remake of the remake.

Le sigh.

Oh shit, really? I forgot about that.

How disappointing.

giphy.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom