Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tex Murphy Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect

Divinity: Original Sin
I don't see what's so hard with it. It's a fucking slider. It looks like a fishbowl? Fucking move the slider down a bit, until the game looks like you want it to look. That's why it's a fucking setting slider and not a checkmark toggle.

Fucking people.

The point is some people put the FOV up to stupidly high levels because they keep comparing it to Quake 2, but vertical FOV means even 70 is kind of high.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I put it to 90 first, went "Wtf" and rolled it down to 60, which I find mostly fine. I don't get the complaint they make, it's a slider, you're supposed to modify things to make them convenient to you, rather than chase some golden standard number. Although yeah, gotta admit that vertical FOV is at least, hm, uncommon, wonder why they had to implement that instead of the normal horizontal one.

The point is TB complains about FOV but when his gameplay screen appears, his FOV is at maximum settings and he doesn´t seem to notice, specially when he has already played a lot (look how many savegames he has). And he is a guy who likes to review configuration settings, and yet, he doesn´t seem to notice it´s effects ingame. When I saw his 1st gameplay screen of his review, I couldn´t watch...

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
I hope they will re-issue a newer, fatter (or with more CPU-intensive codecs, who knows) version with less video compression artifacts in the future, by the way.
And I'm not even a videofag...

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

People who like to play games that look like they live in a fish bowl have no taste. It is horrific.

I put mine on 90 because that's my default FOV for most games, but I whipped it down sharpish as soon as I saw the effects. TB is a buffoon.

Deleted member 7219

PC Gamer's review, by Richard Cobbett.
He liked it... Sort of. The first half of the game, to be more precise.

I completely disagree with the last part of his review. Yes, the second half should have had more story to explain just what the hell was going on. But it was in no way terrible. I actually enjoyed the Tesla Society area. And the music at the very end was fucking awesome.

Giving it 58 is an insult.

Name

Cipher
RPGCodex please starts your prestigious magazine! And get counted by Metacritic! Give an 80 to this game!

Astral Rag

Arcane
"High-quality websites" like IGN, Gamespot, Canadian Online Gamers, Xbox360Achievements, Gameblog.fr, etc, etc

ssswbjuw.png

Last edited:

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I completely disagree with the last part of his review. Yes, the second half should have had more story to explain just what the hell was going on. But it was in no way terrible. I actually enjoyed the Tesla Society area. And the music at the very end was fucking awesome.

Giving it 58 is an insult.

True, the slight change in tone and puzzle design might not be everyone's cup of tea, but Richard's notion on this particular issue borders on overraction. Frankly, the final challenge (calling it a puzzle would be a stretch) is pretty much the only thing I'm not overly enthusiastic about, if only due to it delving far too deeply into unnecessarily twitch-based territory.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That whole PC Gamer review he just sounds mad about dying a lot in a certain section. I can understand how a frustrating portion of a game can make you so angry you grow to hate the game entirely. I haven't reached the later section he's talking about, so I guess I can't comment. I took a break at the swamp house to do a little RPGin'.

I thought the castle was fine though, and three (super easy) puzzles in a row not something to bitch about.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Why does the broken golf simulator in the Llama Club use a music piece for HoMM 3? :M

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I haven't watched any videos or bought the game but when both DalekFlay and Matt relentelessly gush over a game the quality of it might be suspect.

Doesn't mean it's bad, just that when console players that like everything and anything under the sun give it their 'badge of approval', it means nothing to me. I'll check it out one day.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I haven't watched any videos or bought the game but when both DalekFlay and Matt relentelessly gush over a game the quality of it might be suspect.

Doesn't mean it's bad, just that when console players that like everything and anything under the sun give it their 'badge of approval', it means nothing to me. I'll check it out one day.

So you live your entire life over what 2 people, on the codex say. Good luck with that.

The game is very good. It is a new Tex Murphy game, finally in the 21st Century (graphics and controls wise... thankfully).

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Yes, I base my gaming life on the opinions of the fifth gen cycle of 'new codexers'. That's how I live.

By the word of kids I've watched grow from console tards to those that like everything I judge a fifty dollar purchase derp one day. Like people with 26000 posts in ten years.

Once in awhile the signal to noise ratio here gets to me. That's all.

Having an opinion on something and being able to explain it is great. When your opinion is that you love everything ever created in the history of the world, it becomes worthless.

Wizfall

Cipher
Woo , the game is awesome , an excellent Tex game !
What a relief after the huge disapointment of broken sword 5.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Once in awhile the signal to noise ratio here gets to me. That's all.
And your reaction to this is to contribute to the noise? Makes sense.

Anyway I finally have some time to play the game today. Will post impressions in the evening.

Also, physical copies should be shipping soon according to email. Can't wait.

Deleted member 7219

Why does the broken golf simulator in the Llama Club use a music piece for HoMM 3? :M

I was wondering about that simulator for a different reason. Wasn't there talk of it actually being a real golf minigame at some point? In fact I didn't see the point of the Llama Club being in the game at all.

Deleted member 7219

Do not let my opinions or the opinions of other Codexers ever have an effect on whether you play a game or not.

I went out onto Ebay and bought an expensive copy of Wizardry 8 because people recommended it on here, and I've regretted it since.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Someone please tell me before I go absolutely nuts: how the HELL do you turn off that really, really, REALLY obnoxious narrator-who-isn't-Tex who keeps telling me what to do. The game is easy enough as it is without spoonfeeding me "HEY WAREHOUSE IS GONNA BE IMPORTANT" or "HEY GO TALK TO LOUIE" all the fucking time.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

1) Never play on console.

2) Hate a bunch of shit.

Deleted member 7219

Someone please tell me before I go absolutely nuts: how the HELL do you turn off that really, really, REALLY obnoxious narrator-who-isn't-Tex who keeps telling me what to do. The game is easy enough as it is without spoonfeeding me "HEY WAREHOUSE IS GONNA BE IMPORTANT" or "HEY GO TALK TO LOUIE" all the fucking time.

Play in Gamer mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom