Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Hi,

in case you don't know the game yet:

Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome

role-playing game ** 12 B.C.: Roman legions conquer barbarian Germania. Fight for your tribe's freedom - or form an alliance with Rome! ** explore Teutonic villages, royal halls and peasants' huts, sacred groves and Roman camps, forests, swamps and caves ** negotiate with stubborn chieftains, win legendary duels and battles, overcome insidious intrigues, consult seers, liberate a village, capture Roman arms, overthrow a king, and countless other adventures ** multiple storylines, great freedom of action ** classic role-playing features: gain experience, improve your skills, learn wizardry, perfect your equipment ** large game world with lots of non-player characters ** online encyclopedia on Teutons and Romans ** only 6 MB - easy and fast to download

Download: http://www.wmittag.com/downl/tdogr102.exe (5.83 MB)

I'll be in this forum regularily, and I'll be happy to answer your questions (natürlich auch auf deutsch). (However, since I'm living in Berlin (Germany) (Central European Time), I'll likely be online at a different time than you are.)

Best regards

Wolf

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Welcome, Wolf. Looking forward to the ability to converse with you.

First off, I'd like to know what brought the idea for this game about? How long have you been working on it?

Wolf Mittag said:
I'll likely be online at a different time than you are.

You'd be surprised. Heh.

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Otaku_Hanzo said:
First off, I'd like to know what brought the idea for this game about?

A very long time ago I'd written a fantasy RPG for MSDOS called DARGHUL (only in German). (http://www.darghul.com) Ever since, I've regularily been receiving emails asking for DARGHUL II or other RPGs. Considering the huge amount of work involved, I'd promised myself to never again write a RPG - but I finally changed my mind, for though it's a tremendous lot of work, developing a RPG is also great fun. So in many ways, Teudogar is based on Darghul (while Darghul was based on Ultima VI).

Regarding the game's plot: I was a bit tired of the usual mixture (J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy world plus a little of the middle ages, plus some mythology from other epochs, plus problems, perspectives and characteristics of the present times). Tolkien himself had used Germanic sagas and myths as inspiration for his Lord of the Rings, and I too wanted to give this epoch a try. Besides, as all Europeans, I was fascinated by the Roman Empire's history.

Many people consider history utterly boring, and when they hear of this game's historical background, they tend to believe it's going to be hard and boring work. Of course I disagree: The historic epoch this game is set in was a time of absolute liberty (at least for part of the population), of complete anarchy, of constant bloodshed, of wild and daring plans, of magic, and of absolute political incorrectness.

Consequently, you're much more unrestricted in such a setting than you'd be in a more modern world, or in a fantasy world influenced by modern thinking and modern values. I'm trying to depict this foreign and strange historical world in all its glory, and all its ugliness and cruelty as well. If a RPG's purpose is to temporarily get you away from your usual surroundings, values, ways of thinking and acting, then I believe Teudogar's historical world is better suited to archieve this than many fantasy worlds.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Awesome. :)

Well, I am liking it so far. First thing I did was set my slave free and then told her I would support her anyways. That was a nice touch beings as how I abhor slavery of any form. Didn't do much more than that except talk to one of my neighbor babes and wander around a bit just to see what was where. Like the interface. Nicely done. Heh. Saw the 'violence, no sex' thing in options and clicked on it until I got 'no censorship'. Intriguing..... :cool:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I like my slave too much to free her. She mends my clothes, gives me free food, heals me, and so forth. It's good to have a slave.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Let's say that i am in greece live near a bank have some cash and want to buy the game . (no credit card , paypal ot other stuff only cash)

What exactly do i have to do ?

Go to the bank and say what exactly ?

And any idea how much the bank commision will be ?

( i do not like to have dealings with banks )

Wolf Mittag

Developer
ordering from Greece

chrisbeddoes said:
Let's say that i am in greece live near a bank have some cash and want to buy the game . (no credit card , paypal ot other stuff only cash)
What exactly do i have to do ?
Go to the bank and say what exactly ?
And any idea how much the bank commision will be ?
( i do not like to have dealings with banks )

1) by remittance: go to http://www.teudogar.com/order.htm, and place your order with CK-Software; select payment in advance. When you've entered your delivery address, they'll send you an email order confirmation with the IBAN and BIC bank account numbers. (These are codes like IBAN: DE13 1234 1234 1234 1234 12, BIC/Swift: WELADED1REK.) Go to your bank with these numbers, and tell them you want an international remittance to a German bank account. Since you're living within the E.U., they mustn't charge you any more for this transaction than they do for regular national transactions (new E.U. law). (This only applies for transactions using these IBAN+BIC/Swift-codes; if you use just a regular account number instead of these codes, banks do indeed charge outrageous fees, so make sure to use these codes.)

2) pay with cash: go to http://www.teudogar.com/order.htm, and place your order with Kagi. select payment option cash, put money (Euros if you you want) in a letter (registered mail), send it to Kagi.

Perhaps I ought to accept Western Union money transfer? Might be less complicated, especially for people who don't use credit cards...

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Swift-codes

I had to send something with swift once and it was an absolute nightmare.

I went to 10 banks and 8 absolutely refused to do it .
(the told me it was a lot of work and they only did it for big accounts)

The problem with kagi is that

7. If you decided to pay by check or cash, please print the "Payment Form" and send it in with your payment to the address shown on the form. Check and cash orders can take 2-4 weeks to process. When you order is processed, you will receive an email confirmation.

And there is a week more to get the cd ?

Western Union money transfer? That would be straitfordward i do have a boot 100 meters from my home but they charge 15 EURO minimum or something ?

Or is this only for the USA ?

I am not sure about the minimum they charge for germany.

Wolf Mittag

Developer
chrisbeddoes

Swift-codes: Bank clerks didn't like to do Swift transfers in Germany as well; but since July 2002 banks face fines if they don't offer pan-European remittances with tolerable conditions. As far as I know, they've set up a pan-European electronic system to handle these transfers, so they should no longer mind. (A sign of the change: Since July, German banks print IBAN and Swift codes on every account statement; before you had to do a lot of asking and searching to get these numbers.)

Kagi's processing time: This is outrageous. Maybe they mean the time a non-Air-Mail-letter takes to arrive at their Californian address? I'll check this.

Western Union: I don't know the fees they charge. I'll research these.

As a quick and easy fix, if you are in a real hurry to get the Full Version, you might simply send me a 20 Euro note by letter. (I'll give you my address by PN.)

ecliptic

Liturgist
I'm currently playing the demo, it looks quite interesting so far! It's nice to play something original.

Anonymous

I found funny and really damn cool the way enemy flees and drops things around, rogue robbing you without killing it's a great feature.

What about to give the player the choice to deathblow, letflee or kill it's adversary and the ways to kill him like head rip or a 'normal' cleaving in the hearth?
And this will be affecting some statistics too.

LCJr.

Erudite
Saint, Otaku noticed you two keep referring to "slave" and "her", have you not noticed your male slave who takes care of your cattle? You rarely see him in the house except for certain times of the day. Usually he's in the field south of your house.

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Hi Azael, thank you for notifying me.

I hope this was just a brief server down time. (I've checked email and log files on Sunday, and everything worked fine while I was online.) Do any of the following links _not_work?

http://www.teudogar.com (should display home.htm or homed.htm, depending on your browser's language settings)

http://www.teudogar.com/home.htm / http://www.teudogar.com/homed.htm (explicit links to Teudogar-Homepage, English and German versions)

http://www.teudogar.com/tdogr100.exe (direct download link; redirects to http://www.wmittag.com/downl/tdogr100.exe)

Many thanks for your help!

(By the way, how good or bad does dowloading tdogr100.exe work? Did any of you have difficulties downloading it? (on http://www.teudogar.com/downl.htm there's an option to download this file in 4 smaller parts, each only about 1.4 MB))

Adam P

Augur
most of these files are self-extracting and winzipping them wouldnt do much good, for example the file "tdogr102.exe" i zipped it, only 2% compression.

Scaz

Novice
Hey this looks pretty good, I'm downloading it now the setting reminds me of the spiderweb rpg nethergate set in roman Britain, though this looks less fantasy based.

Wolf Mittag

Developer
True. This entire thread is a bit out of date.

The most recent version is 1.02, and the download link is http://www.wmittag.com/downl/tdogr102.exe (5.83 MB). (You can still use the old links, though; you'll be redirected to the latest file.)

The full version price has come down to $14.95 plus $2.20 shipping (www.teudogar.com/order.htm).

If you have an older demo version installed on your system, you can simply download and install the latest demo version in order to update it; your saved games will of course remain fully usable.
In order to update an older full version, download and run the corresponding update patch from www.teudogar.com/downl.htm (your saved games will remain fully usable).

Anonymous

Otaku_Hanzo I completely agree with your words.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom