Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Granted, I don't know any of the nitty-gritty details involved in the game's development, because I was never interested in such esotery. I played the game in each of its incarnations until I got bored, then fired it up again months or years later when the spirit moved me. 1.3 marks the first time I've started playing again in response to an update.

Your rant about palette swaps and AI is nothing more than a biased appeal to ridicule. In terms of palette swaps, anyone can look here and see that, while there is certainly limited palette-swapping and borrowing from other creatures (and why not?), the diversity of monsters is far above average for any game, especially now. Your own example is absolute garbage, because unicorns stamp and charge the player, leap higher and differently than zombies, and cannot (and will not) break down doors. In what is essentially a 2D action game, what more AI differences do you expect except variations on "charge the player" or "stand back and shoot"? There are also many variations on the distinct worm AI, by the way. As far as animations go, again, for simple little 2-D sprites, most of the creatures seem surprisingly lifelike.

Should the enemies pull out a chess table and play your character in a different fashion each time?

Regarding Redigit's support of the game or (intermittent) lack thereof, in what way has anything he's done actually been untoward or inappropriate? He's not obligated to slave away updating the game for anyone's benefit, nor should anyone expect him NOT to take a long vacation from development. This is true even if he'd previously stated he'd be working on an update. People change their minds all the time, and games are entertainment. You don't need them to live.

Terraria has been sold cheaply, as-is, in all of its incarnations beginning with 1.0 (which was simple, but feature-complete) and has been updated for free. People bought the game and received it in its release version. How entitled do you have to be to expect Redigit to spend the maximum amount of time, with no breaks, and a portion of his own profits (for that matter, who's to saying that throwing more money at it would make it "better"? Are you familiar with Star Citizen?) to get you more content, faster?

Nothing you've said, absolutely none of it, demonstrates that Redigit has ever done anything wrong, or that your chagrin stems from anything other than childish impatience. Did it take them 3.5 years to add shift-click to move items to chests? Yes. So what? Did it take them 2 years to get around to adding slopes? Yes. So what? Has the game spent long periods between content updates? Yes, and so what? None of that is morally or legally wrong. The co-developer who went off and created Shitbound isn't even a factor. Redigit isn't his lord and keeper and isn't necessarily responsible for Tiy's actions.

You don't like yo-yos? Content wasn't added as quickly as possible to satisfy your impatience? No one gives a fuck.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You're kidding right? Even among enemies that aren't pallette swaps, they have the exact same AI and lack of animations as the other shit. The only difference between the unicorns and zombies is some stats you can change in under a minute and the sprite (which is of decent enough quality, but again, not something that takes a lot of time to make.) Derplings and herplings and possessed armour and werewolves and all that shit is the same.

The only additions to the game that require any significant work are the weapons that do weird shit like the spells (and even then, lots of pallette or sprite swaps) or yoyos or whatever, and the bosses. And even for the bosses, a lot of them are very very heavily cribbed off existing enemies or bosses. They seem to have added a few more interesting enemies now, like the medusa and granite enemies, but they're still just using a slightly modified skeleton archer AI that has been in the game since day one.

The game was initially made by just 2 guys, one of whom split with his half of the loot to go make a knock off game and somehow fail horribly, The other guy waffled back and forth between supporting the game and abandoning it. If they'd just taken a small chunk of their huge payday and invested it in some more devs after release, and focused on content instead of ports and taking half a year off because fuck it I have hundreds of thousands of dollars... yeah I think the game could have been polished a lot faster. Or, preferably, he could have just let people mod the game instead of promising to support the game for years after launch, then taking it back (while deleting the forums) and then doing updates after all and pretending it's amazingly generous. It's a fucking embarrassment that someone without access to the source code managed to mod slopes into the game so the characters could move around decently months before it was done officially. Those are the guys that deserve some fucking respect. Nobody bought them a fucking house for their work, and they didn't make any lies to try and sell shit either.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Anyway, Derped Registrations butthurt aside, is minishark effective on expert mode bosses?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
To be fair, I don't really hate the current devs, I just don't think they deserve any especially praise for doing most of what was promised on a very leisurely timescale. I don't see Metro licking Kotick's ass because Blizzard kept updating Diablo 2 for a decade. I only comment on this when he brings them up as the coming of the gaming messiahs. Plenty of other more worthy devs. (Fuck the guy who left to make Starbound though, douche move and it became a shit game to boot.)

As far as enemy variety goes, I don't really expect much from a game like this, I'm just pointing out that adding new enemies that have so little variation (it's not as though changing speed or jump height is anything but changing a two or three digit number) takes very little effort. There was probably more time spent adding dialogue for all the fishing quests than programming the various melee enemies. It's not at all comparable to the enemy variety in something like the 2D castlevanias, where you really could justify taking a long time to develop it because the enemies having more than 2 frames of animation, and do things like acrobatic sword lunges or those insufferable fleamen hopping around everywhere or the spear skeletons than can guard from projectiles and have special attacks for stabbing directly above them (and a custom animation just for one spot in the game where they drown.) Again, I don't expect that shit from Terraria, but neither do I expect anyone to seriously believe it takes a long time to make such simple enemies. We're talking about low rez sprite that have 2 or 3 frames of partial animation that have extremely simple AI. Spelunky has more enemy variety in all honesty, despite having far fewer enemies.

As for why I give a fuck if they take their time or don't bother doing shit at all; because Terraria became incredibly popular and gave him the chance to make it great. These days, that doesn't happen just because a game is good. Amazing games slip through the cracks and never get finished properly due to a lack of hype, and shit games get insanely popular because some twat on youtube streamed it or it became a 4chan meme. I care about this shit for the same reason I cared about Starcraft 2 fucking up the custom maps scene they had going since the first Starcraft or Bethesda making shit sequels on great IP; they're squandering an amazing potential. When you have a great opportunity I expect great things. I don't care if you want to give up on Goat Simulator after making a buck off some retards, but don't screw up a game like Terraria or FTL.

If you're just going to cash out, fuck off and make room for someone willing to pour their soul into it.

Anyway, Derped Registrations butthurt aside, is minishark effective on expert mode bosses?
I managed to kill the Eye with it, but everything else seems to have too much armour. It is a godsend just for the knockback and accuracy handling normal enemies though, if you use normal ammo (the meteor shot has no knockback sadly.)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Really? Diablo 2 comparison? Never mind the fact that it was made by Blizzard... a multimillion dollar company even before the success of WoW. And it was marketed with multiplayer in mind and made use of battle.net. It was also a decade ago before the industry started drowning in paid DLC/microtransactions. So, yeah, I'm going to praise a team of half a dozen guys who continually support a $10 game for free when the climate is such they could have easily charged around $5 for each major content patch.

Damned Registrations

And you'll never say a word about the guys who developed Spelunky or Cave Story or Iji completely for free. So fuck you. Iji's dev deserves a dozen times more praise than Redigit does, and he's obscure as fuck. I sure wish he'd made half a million dollars in a month so he could hire a whole team of devs to design some amazing shit.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The game was initially made by just 2 guys, one of whom split with his half of the loot to go make a knock off game and somehow fail horribly
"somehow"

And you'll never say a word about the guys who developed Spelunky or Cave Story or Iji completely for free. So fuck you. Iji's dev deserves a dozen times more praise than Redigit does, and he's obscure as fuck. I sure wish he'd made half a million dollars in a month so he could hire a whole team of devs to design some amazing shit.
Start lambasting them, and I'm sure metro would defend them.

Gerrard

Arcane
Cave Story is easily one of the most overrated games ever made.
\
I sure wish he'd made half a million dollars in a month so he could hire a whole team of devs to design some amazing shit.
>implying he didn't make way more with all the re-relases

Damned Registrations

^ Case in point, those 3 games were all developed by different people. Iji has never been sold (and never will be.)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Cave Story was shit. Spelunky doesn't even come close to what Terraria offers, it's more of a modern day Pitfall. Iji sounds like anime faggotry which I'm sure you love. Just admit your hate for the Terraria developers is irrational.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I found the Skeleton Merchant today. Twice. First time he had nothing relevant for sale, but the second time he was offering a Spelunker Glowstick.

This 1 Silver, 50 Copper item makes every treasure on-screen sparkle, even if it's out of sight - and all you have to do is hold it in your hand!

This thing is a bargain for that price. Fuck Spelunker potions, now I just to whip out my magic glowstick!

On a related note, I heard that there's a Metal Detector in the game now. It's like the radar, only for minerals. It tells you they're near, but not where. How to get it? It's a 50% chance drop from the Nymph, and is also a component for some upgrade.

Damned Registrations

Christ. Guess I won't be making that PDA any time soon. I was hoping it was just a random item off the travelling salesman like the DPS metre was. Well, it's not like spelunker potions are hard to make anyways. It's actually hunter potions I find myself short on; keep spotting rare creatures on my radar and then not finding them because they're buried in a wall somewhere.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yeah, that "buried in a wall" bug is getting pretty annoying. It happens to me sometimes as well, I walk across uneven blocks in a tight passage and suddenly I find myself inside the wall right above where I stood.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
My current playthrough is going slowly, but quite wonderfully. I've found several more of those gold portals and had amassed 90 gold before even recruiting a Merchant, let alone fighting the Eye of Cthulhu. Since then I've maxed out my health and begun exploring beneath the Ice biome.

Then I had a Slime Rain event and teleported back home to try beating the event, and this was late in the day. Then, as night falls, a Blood Moon rises as well. Now I'm up to my knees in zombies and slimes, and would have been dead if the Dryad hadn't been casting a buff spell like it was going out of style. I ended up with 6 banners after that night, and THEN King Slime decided to show up.

Currently I'm relocating my temporary base to a more permanent home in the Ice biome, where I found a wonderful spot with demon altars within walking distance and a long but crooked path leading deep underground. So I grabbed a few bombs and decided to make that path less crooked. When I ran out of bombs I decided to check how far down the new path went - and found a Nymph at the bottom of the chasm. This must be some amazingly lucky game I'm having. No Metal Detector drop, though...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
In Expert mode, the Metal Detector drop rate is 100%. I'm working on my second Cell Phone now; that, or I have pieces to trade with people. I just need another Metal Detector and a Fisherman's Handbook.

This game has now gone completely batshit insane with is compound accessories, although it's clearly necessary to combine many of their various functions. The Cell Phone is on par with the Ankh Shield in laboriousness of construction due to the fishing quest and Nymph requirements. If not for the Nazar, it would be by far the most laborious. The various emblems come in second to both, followed by Frostspark Boots, Celestial Shell, and even Diving Gear and Master Ninja Gear (the latter two of which no one gives a shit about). It's also fun that they combined the Coin Ring, Lucky Coin, and Discount Card.

I found an Enchanted Sword in a stone yesterday, my second one and one of the rarest items in the game, right up there with the Nymph Banner and Rod of Discord. I'd already picked it out of its rock when I took the screenshot, but it was right in the middle:

0375e1314f.png

Damned Registrations

I farmed sharks during blood moons. They come pretty quickly that way.

Beat the final boss yesterday, then did it again for good measure. Got the yoyo weapon both times, which is kind of disapointing. It's great as far as yoyos go, but just like in 1.2, the weapons used to kill the final boss seem more powerful/practical than the ones he drops. The armour I made is nice, as armour goes, but hardly a game changer. I don't see myself playing any more, given what a pain it is to farm this guy solo and the lack of anything else to use the equipment on.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I hung out at the Ocean for about 10 minutes and killed enough sharks to craft this thing

The Ocean has shit-ass spawn rates, but there are ways to improve that, including one you may not know.

Blood Moons help of course, use Battle Potions, use placed/held Water Candles, and also lay down enough Jungle grass/Lihzahrd Bricks over the ocean in order to vastly improve its fundamental spawn rate.

With that done, you will have chests full to bursting with everything those sea creatures drop.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The compound item construction is fun. Granted I'm not as big a junkie as dev hating DR and I'm still working on Skeletron. Took me friggin 2-3 hours of exploring to find one hive in the underground jungle.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I just sink shafts straight down through the jungle at about 50 MPH with the Shroom Claws, Mining Set, Mining Potions, and Celestial Shell (because you will run into water every time).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Because I have all of that stuff from a complete start over.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Because I have all of that stuff from a complete start over.

There's nothing stopping you from sinking shafts more slowly, except hornets of course. Even with my end-of-game equipment, it takes me far longer to accomplish specific goals if I also explore. These days, if I have a goal, I'll work toward it while keeping an eye out for stuff along the way, but I stay focused on the goal. If I want to explore, I do that as its own activity.

Thanks to the new antlion nests that now appear in every world's desert, you can fairly easily obtain a ready supply of Mining Potions. The mining set is also pre-hardmode, and really only requires going into the caverns, although the rarity of the chest and pants piece is a time-sink and an annoyance. Consider using the official or Terraria Online forums to go server-side and trade for a few things within your current difficulty bracket. You'd be surprised what some people might want from even a newer character. I never traded anything for hundreds of hours until I 1.) started searching for rare paintings, and 2.) realized that my surplus of rare and valuable stuff was mostly just sitting there. I was always worried that that could be cheat-y, but generally speaking, people who cheat don't bother to trade. Just ensure you feel you're giving up something proportionate to what you're receiving and consider it an extra feature of the game.

Granted, I've been in the endgame for so long now that I can scarcely remember what it was like to not be at the cusp of the latest update, or how long it takes to get certain things that have been collecting dust in my chests for ages.

Damned Registrations

I still say bombing your way down is by far the fastest way to make a hellevator/explore underground. At least until you have a golem pickaxe. (And even then you'd lose to dynamite.) By the time you're in hardmode, ~50 bombs is easily affordable and will carve through the map like butter. And you get a bajillion bombs from pots and such in expert mode, what else are you going to use them for anyways?

Mining potions were still nice while looking for ore since bombs are shit at mining horizontally, but if you just need to dig and don't give a shit about the direction, straight down with bombs is crazily fast. The junk blocks aren't even really a problem any more now that they stack to 1000. Though even before I never found it a big deal to trash them all every few screens worth of progress.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
A friend and I cleared out an 800ft x 1600ft+ area of a new small world with Snowman Cannons in order to begin building an automated dirt-only Strange Plant farm. Strange Plants are traded for special animated dyes, and they won't grow within 700 feet of any other dye plant. The automated farm will pulse tiers of dirt off and on at intervals to drop the plants onto a long platform on which the player may either run, or automatically teleport from one end to the other via two-way teleporter chain, allowing for AFK farming. I personally designed both the automatic pulsing system that deactivates blocks periodically and the automatic back-and-forth teleporter chain.

The plants being dropped automatically will also keep spawn rates high, since for every plant that spawns, it prevents others from spawning in a 700-foot radius.

It took about an hour between the two of us, and a total of 10,000 rockets (would have been 12,000, but I used ammo conservation stuff and he didn't; I'd say with max ammo conservation for both it could be done with 6,000 rockets).

JjUEmI8.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom