Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Damn, look at 'dis Terraria expert.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Hard mode has begun (Expert item was a pleasant surprise this time around.) Judging by how quickly the possessed armour is dropping, this is going to be less of a difficulty spike than it was at the beginning. Of course, it'll largely depend on if I can get one of the overpowered hardmode dungeon chest weapons quickly or not. I'd imagine one of those will wreck even the expert hard bosses pretty easily. Well, except maybe the twins. If Expert twins is like the expert eye was... fuck everything.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The mechanical Expert Hardmode bosses were relatively easy for me, although of course I have my reforged endgame/event gear. Plantera is next, and rest assured, I'm not particularly looking forward to fighting it. Plantera was and is probably the hardest boss to fight without constructing an arena or using lifesteal setups, and constructing an arena for Plantera is a pain in the cock. I'm not at all worried about Golem or Duke Fishron on Expert Hardmode.

The final boss appears to be designed to fuck you over hard if you're playing solo, and especially if you're playing melee, unless you're tanking it with Vampire Knives or the like... which I doubt will be possible on Expert mode. I'm glad I set up an immense subterranean Chlorophyte farm ages ago. Suck it, phag! :smug:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Simple asphalt skybridge worked well for me (same I used to farm Fishron), but I wouldn't win without http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Solar_Eruption
Turned out after you finish all his parts a heart opens, but boss flied at the middle of the arena so it was basically unreachable. However this baby passes through walls so after 5 minutes of more running I killed him.

effective lighting (Flasks of Ichor and Scourge of the Corruptor
Fire Gauntlet gives you same lighting. Reason why I use it instead emblems and never change my loadout, I am just too lazy to use flasks and I like meh boots.

SotC is surprisingly underused weapon. It's quite good for crowd control and with Godly or whatever modifier and beetle scale mail it can easily defeat all hardmode bosses.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I also made an asphalt bridge with teleporters for farming Fishron. The new fire lance is absolute shit against Moon Lord because it must be aimed carefully, and if you can see the damned thing, you're pretty close and are going to get hit by massive ability spam you can't outheal. You can only dodge but so much all at once.

I've killed a shitload of kiddies in multiplayer PvP (some people are keen on challenging other players to duels) with Scourge of the Corruptor, and the Eaters don't home in on players, so it does take some skill. Luring them into cramped caverns and buildings works wonders.

I've done seven Martian Madness events so far, and the Martian Saucer won't spawn. It's really pissing me off.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I realized that my new world had me borked, the Crimtane was too close to me on both fronts and I spawned right next to the Ice biome with a desert next door. It was crimping my style, so I started over with a new world.

I arrive in a virgin world of Terraria and walk to the right where I see a tunnel full of pots and a chest. As I smash the last pot, a yellow glow appears above me and starts spitting out money.

I've barely played this world for 60 seconds and I already have 15 gold. What exactly just happened?

Damned Registrations

You got lucky. Those gold portal things spawn randomly around the map and shit coins. Usually nearby, but I've also just found a pile of gold laying around, so they can appear offscreen too I think.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
OK, cool. Now I can afford some of the Travelling Merchant's wares the next time he shows up. :)

Another thing I've found is the "Happy!" buff, which seems to be location-based. If your current environment is peaceful, full of nature and the weather is good, you get reduced monster spawn rates and a decent boost to your movement.

Gerrard

Arcane
KyM3aZ5.png
First expert item I got, the charge leaves you running at max speed with boots and let's you airdsah as well, pretty cool. Shame you can't upgrade or combine it with anything.

I actually did not play the game at 1.2 for a long time so there's a ton of older stuff I haven't seen yet from that too.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
KyM3aZ5.png
First expert item I got, the charge leaves you running at max speed with boots and let's you airdsah as well, pretty cool. Shame you can't upgrade or combine it with anything.

Can you use it while riding a unicorn?

Damned Registrations

Two of the three hardmode bosses down. Found an amazing yoyo off one of them, using it now. Pretty decent with the right setup, I'd rate it slightly above the 5 stack of light discs.

I'd almost feel bad about the way I cheesed the destroyer but these bosses are fucking brutal solo, so as far as I'm concerned anything goes.

Twins are next. Not really sure what to do, my previous strategies aren't going to work here and the trick I used back in 1.2 of kiting them vertically near space seems to summon wyverns now. Not to mention a megashark would hit these things for kittens.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
For someone who hates this game you sure have played a lot since 1.3 release~

Damned Registrations

Who said I hate the game? I hate the devs. Game could have had this much content like 6 months after launch.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It would take me six months just to collect all of the items in the game, sort them into hundreds of chests, and create an Excel spreadsheet in order to keep track of everything. All I have to do is collect them, rather than create the art assets and animations, code them, choose the stats and descriptions, etc.

There are now like something like 500 monsters, each with their own banner, animated attacks, and loot tables in most cases. Not even the first two or three Pokemon games had that shit, I'd wager.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And I think there's only around five or so developers. Oh well, at least they added weather effects so he can't bitch about that.

Damned Registrations

Yeah, I'm sure it took hours just to add jungle slimes to the game. It's not like it's a pallette swap with different stats you could add in about 10 minutes.

Porting the entire game to two different consoles (each with their own unique content mind you) was probably a cinch on the other hand. Skipping that would only save a couple days at most.

Truly this content got here as fast as humanly possible.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Terraria is p. legendary among indie games not only for the incredible amount of content and features that have been added since release, but also for being faithfully updated for four years running by a mere handful of people. One major update per year is a pretty big deal; 1.3 added and changed more than the other two updates combined, so taking two years to do it (and do it properly) was pretty understandable.

I remember the pre-release days when Redigit was still using old Final Fantasy sprite ripoffs as placeholders, which was illegal and for which he was heavily criticized. Given what Terraria is now, being upset that it's been four years in the making just seems impatient and stupid to me.

Damned Registrations, you started over from the beginning, right? I'm not sure you realize just how much has truly been added, revamped, and enhanced. I'm also not sure you have a clue about actual game development, instead looking in from the outside and thinking it should be dead easy and super-fast to do this or that. Slimes and some event mobs are some of the small minority of palette-swapped enemies in the game, and in most cases, much more than simple palette swapping was done, including small details, certain animations, AI, loot table, etc.

Damned Registrations

You're kidding right? Even among enemies that aren't pallette swaps, they have the exact same AI and lack of animations as the other shit. The only difference between the unicorns and zombies is some stats you can change in under a minute and the sprite (which is of decent enough quality, but again, not something that takes a lot of time to make.) Derplings and herplings and possessed armour and werewolves and all that shit is the same.

The only additions to the game that require any significant work are the weapons that do weird shit like the spells (and even then, lots of pallette or sprite swaps) or yoyos or whatever, and the bosses. And even for the bosses, a lot of them are very very heavily cribbed off existing enemies or bosses. They seem to have added a few more interesting enemies now, like the medusa and granite enemies, but they're still just using a slightly modified skeleton archer AI that has been in the game since day one.

The game was initially made by just 2 guys, one of whom split with his half of the loot to go make a knock off game and somehow fail horribly, The other guy waffled back and forth between supporting the game and abandoning it. If they'd just taken a small chunk of their huge payday and invested it in some more devs after release, and focused on content instead of ports and taking half a year off because fuck it I have hundreds of thousands of dollars... yeah I think the game could have been polished a lot faster. Or, preferably, he could have just let people mod the game instead of promising to support the game for years after launch, then taking it back (while deleting the forums) and then doing updates after all and pretending it's amazingly generous. It's a fucking embarrassment that someone without access to the source code managed to mod slopes into the game so the characters could move around decently months before it was done officially. Those are the guys that deserve some fucking respect. Nobody bought them a fucking house for their work, and they didn't make any lies to try and sell shit either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom