Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So they've gone and made an official trailer for 1.3:

My reaction:

I%2BHave%2BNo%2BMemory%2BOf%2BThis%2BPlace.png

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Still updating a $10 game after four years. Guy is dev of the t3h decade.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If that's your metric there are literally dozens of devs who have been updating free games after over a decade. Not counting the shit games mind you.

Machocruz

Arcane
I just started playing this seriously this week. I like the amount of stuff in it, and wish more games with progression had more stuff. I also like how through either luck, bravery, or meta knowledge you can get good stuff early. I wish single player fantasy games with budgets had a lot of stuff like this game has. I saw a video of someone with a bee mount. Why can't I have a bee mount in Elder Scrolls? It's hard to go back to games that don't have a lot of stuff when they should.

Game is a combination of some of my favorite parts of MMOs, roguelikes, sandboxes, action-RPGs. I also like that it accommodates both discovering on your own or knowing what's in the game and where to go, rewarding each approach in different ways; and if you want to dick around forever or reach each structured milestone (i.e. boss kills, hardmode) as soon as you're able.

If this game were in 3D it would be bigger than Minecraft (though I prefer it how it is).

catfood

AGAIN
This trailer really makes wanna give it another spin, but none of my gay friends want to play this game, and I'm not autistic enough to play it alone for long periods of time. :(

Shadenuat

Arcane
I wish they added some better way of tracking and dealing with corruption. They really missed on the opportunity for a mega quest of removing that thing to begin with.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
What would have been really interesting would be if the percentage of the world tainted triggered new enemies/bosses/events to occur. Then you'd have a cool reason to spread the corruption or contain/cleanse it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I wish they added some better way of tracking and dealing with corruption. They really missed on the opportunity for a mega quest of removing that thing to begin with.

I've seen a Terraria map where the player went full retard and divided the entire map into small blocks, with each block accessible via elaborate tunnel systems. He then designated a few blocks for Corruption and a few more for the Hallow and effectively quarantined them. Then he went around smashing altars to seed Hardmode-tier ores and then hunted down the new corruption seeds that pop up, using his tunnel system to move quickly about and spotting them early.

Talk about having your world in a fishtank.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
What the hell is this little gem?

Will have to look more into it later.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What the hell is this little gem?

Will have to look more into it later.
DragoFireheart You've never heard of Terraria?

Not until recently.

This game completely flew under my radar. Now that I look at it I'm not sure how.
Yeah it was pretty well known. It's closer to an open world Metroidvania than a pure builder although there's obviously a ton of tools/resources/items you can build if you're into that playing house/E-Larp shit. It'll probably be on sale when the new patch hits. The developer has added a shitload of content (new enemies, bosses, loot, items, events) over the years. If you like Metroidvanias you'll easily get 50 or so hours out of it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Talk about having your world in a fishtank.
I know I did similar thing. Shroomite Glove + Miner's Set and Clentaminator, with multiple hellevators and creating 1000 block walls to completely lock it in place in some places (like saving Jungle since it's an important farming zone). It's still crappy way of doing it - miss 1 block and it pops somewhere and you have to do it again. Also it's like 1 platinum per 1 hellevator for solutions (and I play Normal-sized worlds). Autism 2.0

It's like Minecraft if Minecraft were a good game.
Minecraft concept just works better as a 2d game with colorful sprites and simple lightning. You can't easily make 3d fully destructable and block-world and make it look pretty. With 2d everything instantly becomes so much easier to design. Terraria really is a genius idea.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
It'll probably be on sale when the new patch hits.

I'm not so sure on that, Terraria was 75% off during almost the entire Steam Summer Sale. It may get a discount, but I doubt it'll be as much as 75%.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So was Mass Effect series but it hit a 75% midweek deal right after the sale.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'd like to add that the Total War Franchise is on a free weekend as well as 75% off. So more than likely, that patch will cause a sale.

But come on, games ten bucks. What are you waiting for? Are you going to buy like twenty copies and give it away to people? Because that's what I'd totally do.

Rabbid

Savant
I'd like to add that the Total War Franchise is on a free weekend as well as 75% off. So more than likely, that patch will cause a sale.

But come on, games ten bucks. What are you waiting for? Are you going to buy like twenty copies and give it away to people? Because that's what I'd totally do.

Are you the guy who wrote this?

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Are you the guy who wrote this?

Actually, I wrote this

Rabbid

Savant

Turjan

Arcane
I actually still have a gift copy to give away to someone. So, DragoFireheart , tell me if you want it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom