Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't know how you people have the patience.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have to agree. Planting new trees to have a good source of wood is one thing, and so is collecting whatever you come across, maybe even going so far as to set up something to help you farm that ONE rare ingredient for a common recipe.

But that? That's an unhealthy mix of Breaking Bad, Weeds and The Big Bang Theory.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
wisdom_teeth.png

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Actually, that was a collaborative effort on an earlier map; for solo you can make do with a smaller setup. Some flowers can be a bitch to gather normally, so might as well grow that shit. Granted most of the potions aren't all that necessary, but spelunker and battle potions are mandatory.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm officially for the Extractinator being nerfed now. Every time you feed it, you get something positive. I've seen it give some copper coins, a valuable gemstone, some ore, and then things like a wasp in amber (summons a baby dinosaur) and once it gave me 15 gold pieces!

The "loot table" needs to be changed so that there's a (good) chance of getting absolutely nothing. Or just dirt. Right now this machine just prints money.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It doesn't print that much money. Go summon a hardmode boss and sell all it's souls. Now thats some money printing.

Which is rather necessary considering the cost of reforging high end items. Not that there's anything challenging enough to warrant doing that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Exactly. Easier ways to farm money in Terraria... and it isn't very useful outside of the aforementioned constant reforging to get good item prefixes.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The game just got updated with a Halloween update - zombies and slimes now may appear to be dressed up, pumpkins are a new resource that's scattered all over the lands, monsters have a chance to drop Goodie Bags containing stuff and mice no longer spawn in the Underworld, which was one of the funniest bugs I've seen in quite a while.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I've heard from several fairly reliable sources that Starbound kinda sucks though, or at least it did on release.

Bahamut

Arcane
So far SB levs look bit clueless about what they are doing. Instead improving pacing and gameplay they nearly just add even more filler and vanity stuff and flashy effects to biomes

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They claimed it was in beta state when it hit early access but it's more like an alpha. Granted I haven't played in about six months but the game was a mess. Weapons horribly balanced. Generic enemies. Towns and locations that were utterly generic and repetitive. The randomized aliens sucked and were crap compared to Terraria monsters. Uninteresting loot. Unimplemented bosses. At the time it consisted of little more than an ore digging and crafting simulator.

Damned Registrations

The worst part had to be the linear ore progression. You can't use silver until you've made all the copper stuff, repeat ad nauseum. Which kills the entire aspect of exploration, since what the fuck is the point of finding shit you can't use? The game is basically a mining treadmill.

Would rather play Terraria with mods.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
While Starbound seemingly stagnates, Terraria updates.

Here are some of the major changes:

Fishing is now possible with a pole and bait.
A new Angler NPC can be found that will give fishing quests.
Minecarts have been added to the game.
New summoner armor and weapons have been added.
There are 5 new mounts to help traverse the world.
Beaches have been improved.
Smart Cursor has been added to make digging and building much faster.
Pixel Piracy crossover content!
Over 22 new potions.
And much more!
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/1-2-4-changelog.143548/Terraria gets updated.[/url

Turjan

Arcane
I just looked at the Steam statistics: Starbound is at this point at place 41. Terraria is at place 16, with more than three times the players.

That's actually more players for Starbound than I expected, given how little impact I feel from that game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
:necro:

Brace yourselves, more Starbound hate is incoming.

Also, various Terraria news:

# The mobile versions of Terraria have now been updated to 1.2. Just putting that out there, in case anyone prefers to dig to hell on a mobile phone rather than a... *ahem* proper computer.

# Redigit is back in the studio, cooking up something sinister. Apparently he was planning to "move on" but came back for some reason.

# There's a new "animated" Terraria series on YouTube. Check it out (if you want).

# The official Terraria forums have been revamped and updated. To "celebrate" this event (and lure in more people) they're sharing some tidbits from the 1.3 update that's looming on the horizon.

index.php

FURNITURE FOR YOUR NPC'S!
SMARTER NPC'S!
IMPROVED NPC APPEARANCES!

index.php

MINI-BIOMES!
UPDATED STARTING AREAS!
UPDATED CRIMSON BIOME!
index.php

SMART CURSOR FOR EASIER STAIR BUILDING!

The big additions will be revealed later on (if at all) but I'd like to take the time to ask people whom read my post on the 1.3 update in the Starbound thread... did anyone find the hidden screenshot I put in it?

Damned Registrations

Eh, by the time you can build that thing, I bet you can afford endless dynamite. And raining a shitton of dynamite on an area will hollow out pretty much whatever the fuck you want. I suppose it'll be handing for scouring the entire map for the little hidden biome thingies, but I'm guessing by that point they'll have useless rewards anyways.

Besides, it doesn't even look that much faster than current endgame pickaxes. Spectre pickaxe is probably like 3/4 that speed or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom