Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What're the extra benefits of the bundle? And why would you even bother if you have wings already that makes jumping obsolete?

http://terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Cloud_in_a_Bottle
See the comparison table.

The bundle lets you quadruple jump, chaining each of the secondary jumps from most to least powerful.
I'd presume the bundle would have an even more dramatic effect on the maximum achievable height.

Dire Roach

Prophet
If you need multiple maps for anything, it's the sandstorm in a bottle, not the shiny red balloons; I've about 3 of those tucked away and I haven't even explored anywhere near half the map.
True, the sandstorm can only be found in the desert tomb, and apparently those have a low rate of being generated on any map size. The shiny red balloons can only be found in the floating islands, though, so you'd still need some luck to find three in a single large or medium map.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
New Additions
  • 87 new banners were added as drops from monsters
  • Glass Furniture- Now craftable with glass
  • Hive Furniture- Now craftable with crisp honey
  • Steampunk Furniture- Now craftable with cogs
  • Pirates will now randomly drop fancy gold furniture
  • You can now craft more furniture out of wood with a sawmill (barstools, banquet tables, etc..)
  • Lihzahrd Walls are now obtainable
  • You can now craft living wood walls
  • Added new friendly critters: Blue Jay, Cardinal, Squirrel, and Mouse
  • Whoopee Cushion now has a higher drop rate
  • You can now tinker a whoopee cushion with a cloud in a bottle
Bug Fixes and Changes
  • Dungeon guardian now does 1000 damage
  • Chlorophyte Drill and Pickaxe can now mine Chlorophyte
  • The Rod of Discord now properly drops
  • The Uzi now has the correct drop rate
  • Easy mode jungle enemies now have a small chance of spawning in hardmode jungle
  • Moss hornets can now drop Bezoars
  • You can no longer duplicate items with the merchant
  • Snow particles will no longer spawn on backwalls
  • Fixed a bug that would cause monsters to despawn on servers but not clients
  • You can no longer duplicate items through reforge
  • The Mummy Shirt now correctly shows the players hand
  • The graphic for Pirate Pants has been fixed
  • The Party Girl will now sell the Bubble Wand
  • The Mushroom Spear can now be reforged
  • The Heat Ray now uses mana
  • The Leaf Blower now uses mana
  • Marshmallows no longer duplicate (for real this time)
  • The Frost Breastplate now correctly gives bonus based off the tooltip
  • You can no longer sell money
  • Orichalcum axe now requires an orichalcum anvil to craft
  • Fixed an exploit that would crash servers and clients
  • You can now attack the Clothier with the Clothier Voodoo doll equipped
  • Purification powder now works on crimson ice
  • Holy water now works on crimson
  • Eclipses are no longer persistent between worlds
  • Fixed switch duplication bug
  • Fixed a bug that would cause tiles to be painted on multiplayer when they shouldn’t be
  • Reduced the number of particles some items/spells create
  • Slightly improved performance when a large number of particles are on screen
  • Fixed a bug that would cause coins to disappear instead of converting into the next highest currency
  • Lucky coin no longer drops coins from statue spawned monsters
  • Bunny cannon will return to you when broken
  • NPCs that require Plantera to be defeated to sell things now do so correctly in multiplayer
  • King and Queen statues will correctly summon the new NPCs
  • Typing before the password screen when hosting will no longer cause those keys to be the password
  • Holding coins when dying will now correctly drop those as well
  • Flame thrower now does ranged damage instead of magic
  • Blue and Green Wrenches show the number of wire available
  • You can now reforge the Book of Skulls
  • Fixed several typos
  • Fixed a bug that caused the music box to record instantly
  • Green solution will now turn Mushroom Biomes back into Jungle
  • Traps no longer trigger Spectre Armor (Sorry Hero)
  • You can no longer create a slope or half tile under a Lihzahrd Altar
  • People playing on small screens should no longer auto equip an item from a chest or pick it up
  • Rocket Launcher will now drop off of the Skeleton Commando
  • Goldfish will no longer drop pirate maps near the ocean
  • The Eater’s Bone will now properly drop
Balance Changes
  • The defense of Spectre Armor has been slightly lowered
  • The defense of Turtle Armor has been lowered
  • The attack speed, damage, knockback, and life return of Vampire Knives has been lowered slightly
  • Dungeon Spirit spawn chance has been lowered
  • Increased the reach of Wrenches and Wire Cutters
  • Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread is now slowed after killing Plantera instead of any Mechanical Boss
  • Slightly increased the chance for an eclipse to happen, but they will now only happen after killing a Mechanical Boss
  • Hardmode Dungeon Monsters will now only spawn after Plantera has been defeated
  • Coins will now auto stack when close to eachother
  • Shadowbeam Staff does less damage each time it hits something
  • Spectre Armor does less healing each time the same projectile deals damage
  • Piranha gun now does slightly more damage
  • Pyramids are slightly more common

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
  • The Heat Ray now uses mana
  • The defense of Spectre Armor has been slightly lowered
  • Spectre Armor does less healing each time the same projectile deals damage

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
I recently got to hardmode, I just want to say the Golden Shower is amazing.
I've just managed my first hardmode boss kills, ever, the first of which was Skeletron Prime.

And against the Destroyer it's just brazenly unfair, it does piercing damage and shoots 3 piercing projectiles which each hit him a half-dozen times easy, before they turn around and do even more damage, so you get some ridiculous DPS. It's even viable as a non-mage build as the orbs he releases keep you freshly stocked with Mana.
He completely bugged out when I defeated him, I suspect it's because I did so too quickly.

terraria2.jpg

He left a 1/60000 HP corpse that's still shooting at me!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So a few days ago I set up my stronghold, little rooms for all the NPCs above me, a corridor between them leading all the way up into space, and a large room at the bottom where I keep all my stuff, with rows of chest and gravemarkers to mark what each chest contains. No Hellvator installed yet, but I'll get to it soon enough. But that's not what's bothering me...

What's bothering me is that a new patch comes along and adds banners. If I had known that I had to add in wallspace to hang paintings and banners, I would have planned around it. But NO, now I have to add in a whole wing to hang those things up!

(Enters OCD rage)

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
My house floats, so I've taken to just hanging them from the bottom, as you can see in the above screenshot.

I wouldn't advise emulating that 'design' as the NPCs constantly block chest access.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The rooms for my NPC could be smaller, but otherwise I think I've got it all nailed down pat. Four ways out, with the East/West doors hanging up in mid-air so that monsters can't open them. The upper exit is a long glass tower that exits onto a makeshift skybridge, which I'm thinking about dismantling since I've found all the islands (and dismantled them, I have a chest full of cloudparts) and the bottom exit is sheltered by clay blocks so the Corruption/Hallow is unlikely to affect it, or my house.

Right now I'm having fun mucking about in the Jungle Underworld. Finished the Dungeon recently and it is ANNOYING. AS. FUCK. Cursed Skulls and Skeleton Mages CONSTANTLY spawning in and bothering me while I'm robbing the place. The jungle is peaceful by comparison. Hardmode hasn't been activated yet, I'm gonna hold that off until I'm good and ready.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I found the Underground Jungle pretty irritating when I first found it due to spikes and poison everywhere, mantraps biting through walls and large caverns full of hornets, but it yielded me a cool sword and the Ivy Whip, so no harm done.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Right now I'm having fun mucking about in the Jungle Underworld. Finished the Dungeon recently and it is ANNOYING. AS. FUCK. Cursed Skulls and Skeleton Mages CONSTANTLY spawning in and bothering me while I'm robbing the place. The jungle is peaceful by comparison. Hardmode hasn't been activated yet, I'm gonna hold that off until I'm good and ready.

You're going to love the hardmode dungeon. :troll:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yeah... I figured someone would say that. At least I have to worry about one less thing: I mined every single spike in the dungeon. Those don't respawn, AFAIK.

Meanwhile, back in the jungle... I found a beehive. Almost drowned in a lake of honey while mining it and had one of the most piss-easy boss fights of the game. Dodge flying bee, wait until it is stationary and starts spawning little bees, get under it and spam Water Bolt upwards until Queen bee retreats. Repeat until dead (took 3 rounds).

EDIT: I'm guessing those weird-looking chests in the Dungeon can only be unlocked in Hardmode? Any hints on where I would get the keys for those? There were about 4 or 5 different chests in there I couldn't unlock.

Last edited:

Dire Roach

Prophet
EDIT: I'm guessing those weird-looking chests in the Dungeon can only be unlocked in Hardmode? Any hints on where I would get the keys for those? There were about 4 or 5 different chests in there I couldn't unlock.
Each of those special chests has a color scheme linked to a biome. The keys have a 1/4000 drop chance from any mob in that biome after hardmode is activated. The loot is nice but if you want to grind mobs for loot, you might as well just farm hardmode dungeon mobs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The bee boss was added as mid-tier content as a stepping stone to the first 'main' tier trio of Cthulu, Skeletron, and Eater of Worlds. It does it's job and gives nice rewards to aid in progression.

Each of those special chests has a color scheme linked to a biome. The keys have a 1/4000 drop chance from any mob in that biome after hardmode is activated. The loot is nice but if you want to grind mobs for loot, you might as well just farm hardmode dungeon mobs.

The loot to those chests is specific, though, and there's no other way to get it.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have been digging through the jungle for about 15 hours and still have found no trace of the bloody Bee Hive. The game is obviously screwing with me.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I've heard that there are normally several bee hives in the jungle. They're not that big, though. Maybe about a screen big, I'd guess.

One question: How do you guys navigate through the underground? Any special hints? I use the Mining Light because of the lightsource it gives, and place torches at regular intervals to "light up" where I've been. That means I use up A LOT of torches, but makes backtracking and resource hunting much easier.

evdk

Patron
I use torches in absurd quantities - the abundance of slimes means that the crafting requirements are trivial, when I run out I just make 99 more. For exploration I either use hand held torches (pressing shift helps) or just my rocket boots to get a general idea of where I am.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I wanted to build an underground base, but the fact that you have to break away the dirt walls from the top of the map first put me off. I couldn't be arsed to spend that much time building a house when I just want to see all the bosses.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Hmm... ran into an interesting bug in the jungle. I found a large lake, was exploring along its bottom when I see a small chamber beneath me. "I'll just punch through and let it fill up with water", I think. And the water starts flowing... and flowing... and flowing... but the lake above me never drains. Turns out that the small chamber was a tight crevice that leads into THE REST OF THE BLOODY UNDERGROUND. So for about 5 minutes water seems to be coming out of thin air and fills up everything beneath me, before I get the sense to plug up the hole.

Now there's so much water in the jungle I'm surprised I'm not seeing sharks around here. I'm pretty certain this bug came about because I had to Alt-TAB out of the game a few minutes before. I eventually had to bug out because I was about to drown, but before I did, I saw a tileset I haven't seen before. I think I found the "treasure" that the jungle contains. Now to find a way to get there without swimming through an jungle-infested ocean.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
That dear kitten, is the principle behind duplicating liquids and farming Obsidian, and now Honey and Crispy Honey blocks as well.

If the tileset is reddish and mostly without any interesting features outside, That's the Lihzahrd Temple and you're not going to get inside there until hardmode. There are currently 3 known ways to get in there.
Farm Chaos Elementals for a Rod of Discord.
Unlock the steampunkist NPC and buy 2 teleporters from her, then hook them up by the door.
Defeat Plantera for the door key.

Since you're not in hardmode yet, I'd advise you to craft yourself some diving gear, you'll need flippers and a diving helmet, the latter of which you can acquire from sharks in the ocean.
Then I'd advise you to dig down into the underworld, the evaporation mechanics should see to it that the jungle gets drained, alternatively you'll have a safe, easy source of Obsidian.

Dire Roach

Prophet
One question: How do you guys navigate through the underground? Any special hints? I use the Mining Light because of the lightsource it gives, and place torches at regular intervals to "light up" where I've been. That means I use up A LOT of torches, but makes backtracking and resource hunting much easier.
Making a bunch of shine potions and night owl potions is fairly easy and they provide great illumination buffs. There are also many weapons that give off a glow every time you attack like the fiery greatsword and the enchanted boomerang. Some of these weapons illuminate through walls too, which is great for detecting adjacent underground rooms. Even with these tools, using lots of torches is a good practice anyway to mark where you've been.

Your best friend for finding ores and chests is the spelunker potion, but those require a piece of gold or platinum ore to craft. You'll want to keep a few around for when you start out in hardmode.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Better Living with Potions indeed, making a farm early on should be everyone's priority. Even if there's an annoyingly large number of ingredients you have to hunt for - I don't think 1.2 added even one new plant to cultivate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom