Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Gord

Arcane
Does anyone know what those red-ish-glowing, slightly organic looking, 2 or 3 blocks-wide things are that now show up in caverns?
I can't "mine" them with my shitty copper equipment...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If it's just ore embedded in other rocks/dirt then it's Cal...ererarsfdfafasfdfa...ite or something like that. I found some when messing around in a new world with a geared character. No idea what it makes.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Naw they're like demon altars, similar size and gives off a bit of ambient light - not embedded in rock, they're always inside pockets like the altars.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Had a breakthrough moment yesterday - went spelunking, found that I was sorely in lack of a grappling hook, but hadn't reached down far enough to find any hooks.

But I had found quite a lot of sapphires, and it turns out you can make hooks out of gemstones now. So now I'm sporting a rather nice Sapphire Hook. Feels extravagant, but I needed that!

Also had a nice "WTF?" moment when it started raining and not only did the game spawn zombies wearing raincoats and slimes holding umbrellas, but the goldfish were walking about.

Gord

Arcane
Also had a nice "WTF?" moment when it started raining and not only did the game spawn zombies wearing raincoats and slimes holding umbrellas, but the goldfish were walking about.

I also encountered flying fish - seems they turned up the silliness quite a bit.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've encountered some new stuff in the dungeon and jungle, but both requires keys, and I have no idea where to obtain said keys. I hope it's not some stupid ultra rare drop shit.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've encountered some new stuff in the dungeon and jungle, but both requires keys, and I have no idea where to obtain said keys. I hope it's not some stupid ultra rare drop shit.

I'd wager they're hardmode content.
The dungeon has new mobs that do 90+ damage to my other character with a full adamantine set,
The jungle also has new hardmode mobs, but I haven't yet felt brave enough to go underground and as you could say, "stick my nose in the hornet's nest."

I've also noticed a lot of new underground content.
So far I've stumbled upon a cave full of emeralds (around 50), and an underground "spider biome" for lack of any better description - I got over 800 cobwebs just running around in there.
They spawn those wall crawlers almost exclusively.

2013-10-02_00006.jpg

Spider infested caverns are directly to the right and left

Damned Registrations

Accessed hardmode. Two of the minerals got palette swaps like iron and gold did, and the hardmode jungle enemies are insanely powerful. I hope I don't end up obsoleting all the new content even though I started a new char specifically for it. I already had a trivial encounter with the queen bee earlier, and whatever your pickaxe is made of I never fought, but I saw a crafting recipe that indicates it's on par with shadow armor, so I'm guessing that'd be a waste of time now as well. :sigh:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Accessed hardmode. Two of the minerals got palette swaps like iron and gold did, and the hardmode jungle enemies are insanely powerful. I hope I don't end up obsoleting all the new content even though I started a new char specifically for it. I already had a trivial encounter with the queen bee earlier, and whatever your pickaxe is made of I never fought, but I saw a crafting recipe that indicates it's on par with shadow armor, so I'm guessing that'd be a waste of time now as well. :sigh:

It's the crimtane stuff.
At world generation you get either Corruption or Crimson biomes, and with that you find crimtane instead of demonite.
Many of the new ores (eg Tin, Lead, Tungsten, and Platinum) may also be picked over their old counterparts (respectively copper, iron, silver, gold) on a mutually exclusive basis.

The silt extractor will probably give you crimtane, but you'll need the crimson's equivalent of shadow scales to built most things.

Gord

Arcane
I MADE CACTUS ARMOR!

Now I look like The Creature From The Black Lagoon...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Rock Paper Shotgun said:
Once upon a time, Andrew “Redigit” Spinks quit Terraria. He’d decided to move on to bigger and better things, mystery projects that beckoned to him from worlds far beyond Terraria’s treacherous loam. Fans were not happy. They scratched angry words into many an Internet, but their cries fell on deaf ears. For a little while. And then, kind of like Gandalf in that one movie (X-Men?), Redigit returned – with gifts, even! Update 1.2 is positively massive, and it’s finally out. But now Spinks is back where he started. Should he stay or should he go? He’s not entirely sure yet, but he was able to offer RPS one piece of enticing news. That mystery project? It’s Terraria 2.

Terraria 2′s actually been in various phases of planning for quite some time, but Spinks decided that his fans were right: he still had unfinished business with Terraria 1. It’s the double-edged sword of having a community whose passion borders on fanatical. Sometimes, you have to let them steer the ship. “I actually planned, when I first quit Terraria, to have been halfway through my next project by now,” Spinks told RPS during a recent interview. “But it just didn’t happen. Instead, I decided to work on another update for Terraria to please the fans a little bit.”

Now, don’t take that the wrong way. Spinks was happy to give fans a penguin (and roughly a billion other things) for their thoughts, and he still is. But Terraria 1 has limits. Spinks laid the groundwork ages ago, after all – long before he’d amassed the massively malleable mountains of experience that come with releasing such a successful game. He thinks he can do better, and he can’t help but pine for the chance to dig deep and see what he finds.

“I’m super excited about starting Terraria 2,” he said, voice suddenly ringing with a pointed intensity. “It’s a ways out, but it’s gonna have a lot in common with the original. It’s gonna be quite different as well. I really want to expand on the whole Terraria universe. There’s a lot of stuff I’m locked into with Terraria. The way loot works, the way character progression works. In Terraria 2, I really want to have infinite worlds so you’re not just stuck to one world. You can travel anywhere. I want more biome diversity in that, too. There’s a lot of stuff [I want to add and change].”

Knock it down, build it back up again. Terraria 1′s foundations are set in stone, but Terraria 2 is – at this point – a land of possibility. Where, though, does that leave the original Terraria? Is a finish line in sight? For real this time? Spinks is still deliberating, but ultimately, he’s keeping things in perspective. Either way, he’s got it pretty good, all things considered. “I’d say this is probably gonna be the last seven-month update [to the original],” he chuckled. “But there’s a lot of stuff that I didn’t have the time to put into this one. For instance, there’s no final endgame boss. So I plan on, within the next month or two, finishing the endgame progression. I also have some ideas for a Halloween update I’d like to do too. I think people will get a kick out of that. So there might be a few more updates, maybe three or four months out.”

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I love how people keep pondering whether or not it's the 'end' of Terraria 1. Jesus Christ, the dude has provided more than enough free content post-release. If he wants to move on to a sequel, let him.

Damned Registrations

I seem to have entered the 'farm enemies for ultra rare drops' phase of the content. Lame. Maybe I'll just browse the wiki and pretend I found it all myself. I already have a stupidly overpowered weapon that trivialized everything in hardmode, including the new stuff in jungle and dungeons. The really sad thing is, I could have gotten the fucking thing before even starting hardmode if I had just farmed for the key. Of course, the items that were far more difficult to obtain are totally inferior. And magic seems to be totally worthless again. Woo!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I already have a stupidly overpowered weapon that trivialized everything in hardmode, including the new stuff in jungle and dungeons. The really sad thing is, I could have gotten the fucking thing before even starting hardmode if I had just farmed for the key.

Which one is that?

Damned Registrations

I forget the name. Something of the Corruptor. It's a ranged weapon that counts as melee, that splits into 2 homing shots when it hits a wall or target. And the homing shots bounce off walls, so they pretty much always find the target. And the damage and attack speed are insane.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
I regret making a large world, it takes so long to get anywhere and find anything worthwhile, I haven't even finished my hellevator.
And for some reason it seems to be enough to put .NET under constant memory pressure...

Speaking of hell, I made myself some "Lava Waders" - these loafers let you walk on lava and water, and gives you 7 seconds of damage immunity if you're submerged.
Lava, my greatest pre-hardmode enemy now trivialised.

So, what's the Jungle Temple like?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And magic seems to be totally worthless again. Woo!

Negative:

86AE70C879C5376AD885ED358C50835D1FD23257

Since I was too derpy to kill one of the hard mode bosses I headed into the Dungeon in one of my existing worlds -- they'll spawn the hard mode enemies if you've triggered it. After a few deaths I managed to find the Magnetic Sphere spell and... well... rape ensued. It's a mobile turret, you just stand there and it wrecks things. Farmed up enough ectoplasm to make the 'end game' mage outfit the bonus of which is orbs that heal you for 10% of ALL damage done. Every hit. And while it has nice synergy as it'll effect other players, if you're the only one there you're getting healed constantly.

I summoned The Twins and Destroyer with mah new OP gear and literally just stood there while I kept casting the sphere. My health never moved. I think it's really odd that the hard mode bosses drop stuff that's a tier below what you can find in the hard mode dungeon because there's literally no point in farming them. Of course, that's if you want a magic character. I'm not sure where the OP ranged and melee stuff drops.

Eventually I might start a new world so the Underground Jungle will spawn and I can fight 'Golem' (who I think is the 'final' boss) but, other than that... it's basically over in terms of character progression.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

I never found any new magic in the dungeon. Maybe I'll go back and farm enough for the armor, though I doubt it's better than my current weapon, the healing would be nice if it works with melee as well.

Hard mode bosses are an excellent source of gold now btw, since they drop hallowed bars in addition to their souls, which have little use besides selling for 2 gold a pop.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm beginning to seriously dislike the new "shape" features of blocks. I understand perfectly that they're a godsend for those that want to make the ultimate pimp palace, but in terms of navigating the wilderness they become more of a hindrance than a blessing.

I currently have a Double Jump cloud and a Grappling Hook, and getting around is not as easy as it used to be because of the new features. If I'm standing on one of those "so-thin-you-can-barely-see-it" blocks and jump, the game automatically uses BOTH jumps at once, so there goes that advantage. What's worse, because of those same blocks I can use the grappling hook to get into some small spaces, but I can't get out of them again. Also happens sometimes when I'm just jumping into a tight space. This isn't a problem unless you're mucking about in the Corruption where explosives are the only way to clear ebonstones at such an early stage.

I also found an enchanted sword in a stone underground, it's only slightly better than my 'Godly' Gold Broadsword, but now my preferred melee weapon is the Daemonite Axe.

I'm thinking I should start work on a Skybridge soon. I did that early on in my previous playthrough and was lucky enough to find two floating islands just right above my base camp. Since the chests don't need keys anymore, they're easy pickings for juicy loot. The Skybridge is THE transportation of choice, at least for me, and after discovering Asphalt bricks I know exactly what I'll be making it out of.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom