Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tentative Torment Kickstarter Tiers Announced

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He's crying for help.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Also, it just struck me. The Codex Holy Trilogy is Fallout, Planescape: Torment and Arcanum. Fargo is making Wasteland 2 (Fallout) and Torment (Planescape) so obviously the third game must be an Arcanum sequel, spiritual or otherwise! Yay!
If only...
:takemymoney:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We'll be happy to have you on board if the pitch video convinces you that this is a worthy project...
Pitch videos tend to be pure marketing. "Trust us, it's gonna be cool" but in a lot more words.

But if you're already determined that the game is in terrible hands and it's going to suck, don't bother to pledge.
Naturally. However, nobody here thinks that the game is in terrible hands and is going to suck. The problem is that people don't know what kinda hands the game's in and it would be, like, super nice if you'd shed some light on it and share your vision for the game.

Then when the game comes out you can either:
a) crow all over the internet about how foresighted you were to avoid contributing to such a horrible piece of crap. Your "I was right on the intenet" medal will be mailed to you shortly thereafter; OR
b) hope that no one digs up your old rants about a game that hasn't yet been released and rubs your face in how stupid you were. (note: the medal tarnishes a lot more quickly than this shame wears off.)
Really now?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
what if VD is a stretch-goal for Torment 2?

hiver

Combat would be appropriately awesome though.
And there would be increase of characters that treat you like shit and then backstab you.

Avellone.
Bet $5.
Probably Avellone since he did some work on WL2 and has a good working relationship with inXile. Kinda makes sense.
Doubt it.
He didnt write anything for W2 and since everyone wants him in that capacity...

Really now?
Why not? It is true.

Harold

Arcane
I guess Harold isn't going to join us in the Kickstarter? I just hope that Jaesun, Koschey, Zeriel, oasis789, and DwarvenFood will make up for the loss.

Those fools don't have the crazy $$$ I'm throwing around, mang.

But seriously: no one's forcing anyone to pledge. Do it. Or don't. I can't convince anyone to pledge who actively doesn't like my work, and in fact if they know they don't like it, I encourage you not to get involved. Of course, you'll also be missing out on the work of-- hang on, that part's still secret.

I'm not actively direspectin' yo work bro, chill the fuck out. I had no idea what you did on PST until someone posted that Watchwitz interview in that january thread my post was originally in. Then I saw it and I went area by area and gave my honest impression on each; if you think I was just waiting for a reason to bitch about your work, you're p. deluded. Anyway, if you'd actually bother to read what I wrote, you'd see that I actually liked some of the characters you did, and when it came to things I didn't like, I gave reasons for why I thought the design was shit. You could, you know, give counterpoints or explain why you went with those decisions. Hell, if you don't feel like doing the TNO thing and going down memory lane, you could, like VD said
VD said:
However, nobody here thinks that the game is in terrible hands and is going to suck. The problem is that people don't know what kinda hands the game's in and it would be, like, super nice if you'd shed some light on it and share your vision for the game.

Or, of course, you could just carry on with this sort of nothing-talk
Then when the game comes out you can either:
a) crow all over the internet about how foresighted you were to avoid contributing to such a horrible piece of crap. Your "I was right on the intenet" medal will be mailed to you shortly thereafter; OR
b) hope that no one digs up your old rants about a game that hasn't yet been released and rubs your face in how stupid you were. (note: the medal tarnishes a lot more quickly than this shame wears off.)

in which case I'll carry on saying
As expected, butthurt detected.
:hero:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Why not? It is true.
What's true?

"a) crow all over the internet about how foresighted you were to avoid contributing to such a horrible piece of crap. Your "I was right on the intenet" medal will be mailed to you shortly thereafter; OR
b) hope that no one digs up your old rants about a game that hasn't yet been released and rubs your face in how stupid you were. (note: the medal tarnishes a lot more quickly than this shame wears off.)"

It's a very butthurt and childish response to a very constructive (by local standards) discussion. Having concerns due to the lack of information neither means thinking that it's gonna be "a horrible piece of crap" nor does it mean "how stupid you were, the shame will never wears off!"

This comment is right next to:

"Something you should think about before donating or telling your friends to donate. You might be the cause of a small number of people sitting in their cramped, dark f****** shelter depressed because they’re not sitting in their cramped, dark f****** for real because the world didn’t really end.

Got that? Some people won’t be happy you’re helping.

So, if you have no compassion for those apocaleptics who want it all to come down around our ears (but not theirs), then you probably shouldn’t put in a contribution. But if those people, sitting in their ivory dungeons, annoy the hell out of you with their barrels of water, stacks of freeze dried, and smug attitudes, then maybe you should just empty the bank account on this project. Just to spite them."

hiver

Why not? It is true.
What's true?

"a) crow all over the internet about how foresighted you were to avoid contributing to such a horrible piece of crap. Your "I was right on the intenet" medal will be mailed to you shortly thereafter; OR
b) hope that no one digs up your old rants about a game that hasn't yet been released and rubs your face in how stupid you were. (note: the medal tarnishes a lot more quickly than this shame wears off.)"

It's a very butthurt and childish response to a very constructive (by local standards) discussion. Having concerns due to the lack of information neither means thinking that it's gonna be "a horrible piece of crap" nor does it mean "how stupid you were, the shame will never wears off!"
No, not really. You give too much credit to harold who is just one of the codex morons with bad taste and overinflated sense of self importance.
A shit licker - just looking to hurt someones feelings over the internet so he can gloat and feed his ego on it.

You see, he says "i gave my honest opinion mang!" as if that makes it special because it is his opinion. Regardless of the fact that it is a shit opinion.
While he even admits directly that he is fishing for butthurt.
But then, as stupid moron he is, he then tries to mask it all as if he was looking for info which supposedly he isnt getting now because someone is butthurt.

Its a shit licker loop.
Its a very simple thing.

Therefore the response was true and proper response.
And much more cordial then what i would give.

There are other ways to actually ask for info.
Though, things being this close to the start of the Kickstarter i kinda doubt Colin can go into any details.
Which is something i dont really like but... fuck it, it seems Inxile is running things this way and thats it for now.

Of course, if Colin can and wants to add anything we would all be pleased to hear it.

"Something you should think about before donating or telling your friends to donate. You might be the cause of a small number of people sitting in their cramped, dark f****** shelter depressed because they’re not sitting in their cramped, dark f****** for real because the world didn’t really end.
So, if you have no compassion for those apocaleptics who want it all to come down around our ears (but not theirs), then you probably shouldn’t put in a contribution. But if those people, sitting in their ivory dungeons, annoy the hell out of you with their barrels of water, stacks of freeze dried, and smug attitudes, then maybe you should just empty the bank account on this project. Just to spite them."

o_O Really now?

Harold

Arcane
hiver I’m going to climb over that anger wall of yours someday and it’s going to be glorious
:love: I still love you, even though you hurt me so by dismissing my sincerity (my butthurt comment was in referrence to the fanboys who were praising said areas without giving any arguments, I had no idea Infinitron was going to alert mccomb).

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Naturally. However, nobody here thinks that the game is in terrible hands and is going to suck. The problem is that people don't know what kinda hands the game's in and it would be, like, super nice if you'd shed some light on it and share your vision for the game.
Well, if I may interject, this is kind of an awkward conversation at this point because it's not like Colin or I are going to start posting information here right now to satiate your needs. But that isn't saying, and in no way is Colin claiming, that we want to sell you this game without an inkling of the vision of the game or the narrative and writing you can expect. We're already aware of the fact that we have to approach that differently compared to earlier kickstarters, and it'll come in the pitch and during the Kickstarter drive itself. Neither of you are wrong to want more info both on the team and the content of the game, but I'm hoping you'll get your fill during the drive.

All the above is a pretty empty statement, but it'll have to do until the Kickstarter itself. This is a show-don't-tell kind of thing, and we plan to show, just not right now this very second. As long as you approach the Kickstarter pitch itself with an open mind, that's all I can hope for.

Zeriel

Arcane
Why not? It is true.
What's true?

This strikes me as a rather strange complaint to hear from someone whose best moments in interviewing were telling everyone to fuck off and that modern RPGs are garbage. (That's you, by the way.) I respect him more for just saying "if you don't like my shit, then don't contribute", than trying to defend his design point-by-point to some random person on the internet. As much as we'd all like to pretend we're important for posting on a forum, I don't think his response to any one individual like that says much of anything.

For what it's worth, Harold's post was pretty dumb, too. When you open your criticism with "by the way, I posted this before, and it's BRILLIANT" (scroll up, he said this about himself), I think you've foresworn any right to being taken seriously. More on topic, it would be nice to see a more substansial Kickstarter pitch with actual design examples, but let's be real. I'm not holding my breath. They'd be kind of stupid to mention specifics, too: the moment you start saying definitively what you're doing is the moment you turn off at least some people and start losing potential money. I may not like it, but I understand it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Why not? It is true.
What's true?

No, not really. You give too much credit to harold who is just one of the codex morons with bad taste and overinflated sense of self importance.
A shit licker - just looking to hurt someones feelings over the internet so he can gloat and feed his ego on it.

You see, he says "i gave my honest opinion mang!" as if that makes it special because it is his opinion. Regardless of the fact that it is a shit opinion.
While he even admits directly that he is fishing for butthurt.
But then, as stupid moron he is, he then tries to mask it all as if he was looking for info which supposedly he isnt getting now because someone is butthurt.

Its a shit licker loop.
Its a very simple thing.

Therefore the response was true and proper response.
And much more cordial then what i would give.

There are other ways to actually ask for info.
Though, things being this close to the start of the Kickstarter i kinda doubt Colin can go into any details.
Which is something i dont really like but... fuck it, it seems Inxile is running things this way and thats it for now.

Of course, if Colin can and wants to add anything we would all be pleased to hear it.
A) The comment was in response to Infinitron and aimed at everyone who's thinking of backing it up.
B) Harold's post wasn't offensive. He liked some things and characters, didn't like the others. He explained why. His explanation makes sense and can't be easily dismissed.
C) Colin's response implied that people won't back up the game for two reasons: either to be edgy and score "I was right" points or because they are stupid.

It's not offensive by the local standards either, but it would have been much more productive if Colin simply shared his thoughts on the game and his ideas on how to do it right. I mean, if inXile can share their thoughts on what's most important - the tiers - before starting a ks campaign, I don't see why they can't talk about less important things now.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
C) Colin's response implied that people won't back up the game for two reasons: either to be edgy and score "I was right" points or because they are stupid.
I think he was referring to people who say the game is bad before it comes out, not all people in the universe who don't back the kickstarter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom