Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Temple of the Abyssal Winds Released

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Temple of the Abyssal Winds

It came to my knowledge that Temple of the Abyssal Winds, a RTwP, party-based Indie cRPG, has been released for Windows and iPad.
  • Epic fantasy adventure.
  • Single player, controlling a band of adventurers.
  • Real-time pauseable combat for realism and control.
  • A combination of open-ended exploration and strong story driven plot.
  • Tactically challenging encounters featuring many different strategies.
  • Deep, complex role-playing system, inspired by popular paper-and-pencil role playing games.
  • Dozens of quests, enemies, and monsters to tackle.
  • Build the character you want to - dozens of skills and powers, and hundreds of spells and items.
Here's a trailer:

Morkar Left

Looks like an alpha from an ToEE clone. Although Ipad, too.
EDIT: And episodic, but first chapter is free.

Someone wanna give it a try?

Weasel
I feel sorry for Obsidian though. So close to release and a polished PoE-killer like this arrives out of the blue.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Wow, 7.7 mb installation file, total size is 14 mb. People with dial-up will definitely love this.

GloomFrost

Arcane
I feel sorry for Obsidian though. So close to release and a polished PoE-killer like this arrives out of the blue.

I know, right. They should not have delayed the game till the end of march.
22120a12_game-over-man-game-over.jpeg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looking forward to Codex impressions based on the first free episode. I am sure we are not spoiled enough by the supposed incline to frown upon a party-based RPG that also has something equivalent to a demo (which is a rarity in this day and age).

V_K

Arcane
Well, I gave the free chapter some 30 minutes and it's not that bad actually.

Pros:
- Detailed character system. Obviously very influenced by DnD but not quite to a rip-off level.
- RTwP isn't that obnoxious. To me combat even felt more like a continious phase-based that pure RTwP. Though when the party size grows and there'll be more enemies, it might get more clustefuck-ish.
- A decent number of sidequests and alternative solutions.
- Looks rather stable so far.

Cons:
- Very easy. Even by my standards, and I'm the furthest thing from a combatfag.
- Writing is worse than in Lords of Xulima. Though at least not as bad as in S&S: Underworld.
- Interface is clunky and the font is too small.
- Ugly as sin (or more exactly as Prelude to Darkness), but you already know that.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is this the same guy as did the old temple of the winds shareware win32 episodic thing way back in the 90's?

Mortmal

Arcane
Is this the same guy as did the old temple of the winds shareware win32 episodic thing way back in the 90's?
No, not same guy . He's not jeff vogel son either , although he could be according the aesthetic of the game .

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
the fact that the tops of walls are all thick solid black lines bothers me greatly for some reason

GlutenBurger

Cipher
The character creation looks like it has possibilities. I wanted to create a bard by pumping personality and giving him singing and a personality-based magic school, but the only such magic school without further casting prerequisites is for dealing with undead, so I just made a basic fighter and acclimated myself by murdering everybody I could. You respawn infinitely, and aggression is reset after you die, so there's no punishment for doing so. No reward either, mind you.

That is unless you kill the guy you're supposed to join up with, in which case he drops a little loot and you're punished by being unable to proceed any further in the game. There's only one save, which seems to have autosaved progressively, so I'll have to start again some other time.

The interface feels a bit clunky, but I haven't figured out all the hotkeys yet. Turnbased would likely have worked better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom