Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Telltale Games is shutting down

Don Peste

Arcane
I haven't played the final season of The Walking Dead, but it seems they actually tried to make it right this time. I don't know if that translated as meaningful gameplay, but it's kind of unfortunate that this has to happen to them now (instead of when they released A New Frontier or other shit like Guardians of the Galaxy).

Anyway, they definitely have to kill Clementine now!!!

troupeg

Educated
Wow who knew that making garbage movies you click every now and again over and over, buying super expensive licenses for god knows how much money, and not changing your engine for years, would cost you your fucking studio?

SHOCKER.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Apparently Walking Dead is also possibly being cancelled? https://www.usgamer.net/articles/re...-wolf-among-us-2-and-stranger-things-canceled
Update 4 [4:12pm]: As information continues to come out of today's announcement that Telltale Games is closing, and particularly in light of Telltale's statement, there are new revelations to the situation at Telltale.

We previously reported that a skeleton crew will remain behind to complete work on The Walking Dead Final Season. That information was inaccurate. Sources who wish to remain anonymous explained that there is a skeleton crew at Telltale, but they will be working on the Minecraft Story Mode project for Netflix. In fact, The Walking Dead team was also laid off today and The Walking Dead Final Season will not be completed.

This matches with the statement issued by Telltale games where the company promised to "fulfill the company's obligations to its board and partners." Our sources say The Walking Dead Final Season is set to end after the second episode launches next week.

Repressed Homosexual
They didn't have anything more to say in the Walking Dead, they just kept repeating the same shit except worse and worse. WD1 was pretty much complete on its own merits and they should have left it at that.

And I don't understand the people who liked Tales of Borderland. What a stinking pile of idiotic rubbish.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Telltale's recent games are pretty much hit and miss but I have a soft spot for Batman The Enemy Within mainly for their interpretation of Joker.

This one hurts honestly, TWD's 2nd and 3rd seasons were lame as shit but no closure to Clementine's arc? Fuck y'all :negative:

TheSoul

Scholar
Telltale's take on adventure games went against what I liked about this genre, so I'm kinda glad this is happening. When your "choices" don't really matter then what's the point of emphasizing their importance. They didn't bother trying to improve on their ideas and lacked memorable dialogue like older adventure games did. I'd rather see games like Hero-U than these crappy cinematic experiences like Life is Strange or TWD.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
For all its worth, i enjoyed sam and max games, tales of monkey island (alot lot lot better than monshit island 4) TWD1 season 1, wolf among us and borderlands.

Their games had witty writing, fun comedy and just had a heart in general, and while their take on puzzles are always pretty light even since sam and max, they had it to tell an enjoyable story and character.

A talent that has been lost around 2015 or so and since borderlands, it has been showing. Game of thrones is where the cracks started showing up, and aftervthat batman was just mediocre, and after that i dont even know wtf are they doing. Just take bunch of IP on a board, and throw a dart blindfolded and see where it lands.

I would be sadder if it wad 2014-15 now, nothing value is lost.

Terra

Cipher
By the time they got a "complete" 5 episode season out there, playable from start to finish, the games were already 66% off on steam. That conditioned me (and I'm guessing others too) to wait for a sale on any of their games that looked interesting - why pay full price now and only be able to play a portion of the game? I remember a lot of people complaining about a similar model for Hitman, where despite the gameplay being a return to form, people would rather wait for the complete package. Seems like a failure of the episodic model from a financial pov to me.

I'll miss the high points; Walking Dead 1, Wolf, the Batmans and especially Borderlands. Shame for a series not to get a proper conclusion, but it is what it is.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Is Walking Dead season 1 actually worth playing? I ignored it because QTE, last Telltale game I played (and enjoyed) was Sam & Max.
Yes, though you could probably get the experience if you just watched it. Grab it if it's cheap or just pirate it. The two gripes people might have with it is that it's not as reactive as it presents itself to be, and you won't get any closure when it comes to characters you get attached to because the following seasons are dogshit and not worth playing through.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
1. They grew big too fast.
2. They did a lot of expensive licensing resulting products that have small profit margin. The problem is not all their high profile licensed games are successful. Batman was presumably the most expensive license they had but sales tanked.
3. They did too many project at one time. Basically the kind of game Teltale was making has linear project vs resources relation. To make one game of 20 hour length you need 30 people. To make two games you need 60 etc. This means at one point when they were creating 4 - 5 projects at the same time the team size should be huge. Not to mention that having huge man resources means you actually need more people to manage them.

All that shit basically is a recipe for failures. If the CEO weren't being greedy with expanding too fast without putting any work on their engine they might have survived longer.

Game wise, as people said, the experience gets old. Its even worse for Teltale because their games look the same and play the same. Not to mention in spite being CYOA, your choices almost doesn't matter and events proceed pretty much the same. Compare it with The Council which is pretty much the same genre but has better story telling and choices which matters more in one episode than Teltale has in five.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Eveything's been said already by other people, but I'm just amazed by how suddenly this happened. There hasn't really been any rumblings about Telltale doing poorly up to this point, right?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eveything's been said already by other people, but I'm just amazed by how suddenly this happened. There hasn't really been any rumblings about Telltale doing poorly up to this point, right?

I think sometimes early this year they did layoff a number of people. One of the CEO was booted/quit and sue the company as well. When the layoff happened I think there were rumours that the company is not doing all too healthy.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Imagine being the "Telltale Gameplay designer". What is this gameplay you speak of?

And ever so subtle Obsidian is at fast

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom