Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Telltale: Game of Thrones

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/21/telltale-is-developing-a-game-of-thrones-game

IGN has learned from multiple sources that Telltale Games is developing a game based on George R.R. Martin’s Game of Thrones.

It’s worth noting that, while “Game of Thrones” is the title of HBO’s series based on Martin’s books, the series itself is actually known as A Song of Ice and Fire, and the first book is titled Game of Thrones. It’s currently unclear what title Telltale will be using for its game, and whether the storyline will be based on the show, books, or something entirely new.

We reached out to Telltale and received the following statement from Steve Allison, SVP of Publishing:

“We get these sorts of rumors about what we could be working on next cropping up all the time. Officially we have no comment.”

I think the setting could be interesting for a Telltale game (since they're not really games... more like interactive shows?)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ugh. If only Telltale could go back and make actual adventure games. Instead of QTE action games to please the console kiddies and publishers.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It might be an interesting project, but calling it a "game" is a bit of a stretch if they go with the Walking Dead route.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
With even less gameplay i bet. Telltale did some good work with their first season of The Walking Dead, but with The Wolf Among Us pissed all that good karma away.

Athelas

Arcane
I'm interested in this since Telltale has been proven quite competent at storytelling.
:hmmm:

I don't see what's so controversial about what I said. It's childish to dismiss anything they do out of hand as terrible because their design choices now involve QTEs on some level -- something entirely unrelated to the quality of storytelling in video games.
I actually thought the use of QTE's in the Walking Dead was fine, probably the least-annoying implementation ever. I just don't think their writing is anything special.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Okay, fair enough -- but nothing special compared to what, since we're discussing video games? There's the occasional indie game, or Obsidian, and I guess for some others, Bioware -- but other than that, there's scarcely any developer who treats storytelling with any measure of seriousness or priority. I would argue that within the boundaries set by the franchise you're not likely to find that the comics or the TV show are a whole lot better than the game (I'd argue they're inferior), which of course aren't necessarily worthy of consideration any more than Telltale is, but -- for better or worse -- both make millions more than Telltale's game does.

Does that mean I want every game on the market to be the like theirs? No, but I've got no problem with Telltale carving out a niche.

Boleskine

Arcane
jxgGMp6GHSLQm.png

Duraframe300

Arcane
To be revealed at VGX

:troll:

Based on the books rather than the show.

Last edited:

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
So...any news on this? It is supposed to be out this year.

Do we know if it will follow the books or the tv show? If the latter, will they use the actors likenesses?

What will the story be like? During the books/show, or before?

How will the game handle sensitive yet important themes of the show and books such as rape, flaying, cock flaying, cock chopping, bestiality (Jeyne Poole), beautiful women shitting in the open plains, and dragons?

3panel-TELLTALE%20copy.jpg

Finally, who the fuck is giving GRRM advice on who to sell his license too? Why hasn't he given it to Obsidian or even *gasp* Bioware?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Edit: Double post because I had made a separate thread about this, but then Infinitron posted a link to this thread which had moved off the first page, after which I requested my thread be merged with the main thread.

Wonder if they will do a prequel of GoT or set it during the story? It can't involve the main characters or even secondary characters we know because telltale likes killing people off more than GRRM.

Also, a PG 13 GoT game will kinda suck.

J_C
In ADwD Ramsay has Jeyne Poole raped by his dog on her marriage night with him

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Obsidian doesn't have the money to develop their own game, or probably even to buy the license. Selling to Bioware actually means selling to EA.

Do you think about questions before you ask them Broseph ?

drae

Augur
So...any news on this? It is supposed to be out this year.

We know that Joshua Rubin, most recently involved with Bungie's 'Destiny', will be helping with the script.....

Destiny may be still a few weeks from release, but at least a few members of staff are looking toward their next project already. One of the writers who worked on the game, Joshua Rubin, announced via Twitter that he was moving on from Destiny to help pen Telltale’s upcoming game set in the Game of Thrones universe.

“Benioff and Weiss have set an incredibly high standard for writing,” Rubin said, referring to the Game of Thrones showrunners. “I’m inspired by their work every season. I’m gonna have to up my game!”

Rubin is no stranger to video game writing, having worked at Capcom, Visceral Games and co-writing the Assassin’s Creed 2 script. It remains to be seen how his work on Destiny will turn out, but he’s experienced to say the least.

One of my biggest worries with Destiny to date has been its seeming lack of story. Granted, we’ve only experienced a small part of the game through the alpha and beta tests, but with the beta specifically, we were granted at least an initial look at the story. And there wasn’t much to see.

While Destiny provides constant narration in the form of your Peter Dinklage-voiced AI companion explaining your mission at hand while providing light bits of color to the universe, the rest of the game is almost curiously devoid of plot. Though your character isn’t mute, in five story missions my hero uttered exactly two lines. There was a scene or two in the Tower where an NPC talked for a minute or two, but all around, story seems to be in short supply in Destiny. The most detail the game gives you about the universe is through short, text-based Grimoire entries, and there are not any characters around to have actual conversations with. That leaves only short cutscenes to convey the rather mystifying plot.

Telltale’s Game of Thrones will be a polar opposite situation, and more will certainly be demanded of Rubin. Game of Thrones is a well-written show based on even more well-written books, and Telltale’s games are carried almost entirely by their writing alone. That’s a lot to live up to, and there probably isn’t a game in the works right now where the writing is more important to its success.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...departs-to-work-on-telltales-game-of-thrones/

sser

Arcane
Developer
Wasn't Destiny getting ragged on for bad writing?

curry

Arcane
Why the hell are people getting so butthurt over this? When is the last time anyone made a good game based on a book or tv show :lol:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Why the hell are people getting so butthurt over this? When is the last time anyone made a good game based on a book or tv show :lol:

Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape:Torment, Fallout: New Vegas, Mask of the Betrayer, Realms of Arkania... probably more.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom