Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Telepath Tactics Liberated - deterministic tactical RPG inspired by Fire Emblem

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Ha; I fixed it in the other post, not realizing I'd posted the wrong link here too. Now fixed everywherrrrreeeeee.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Does the game have levelscaling like FFT and Ogre Battle?

Hey! I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you asking if the enemies scale to your characters' levels throughout Telepath Tactics?

Hey there! Yes that was pretty much my question. As far as i know it was a pretty prominent feature in those games and Telepath Tactics being called a spiritual successor to them. Sadly that would be a dealbreaker for me so i ask here.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Oh, no--there's no level scaling. The overall campaign is structured more like a Fire Emblem game, despite the numerous pieces of inspiration I took from FFT in crafting the game's mechanics.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Howdy! I thought some of you might be interested to know that I've been hard at work on building the new engine. I'm taking the time to make some much-needed improvements vis-a-vis the original Telepath Tactics engine, most significantly with regard to the interface.

It's still very early in development, but for those of you who are curious and wish to follow along, I'm posting my progress in this thread. That is all. :)

Mustawd

I have to say this again Craig Stern...TT is a pretty great looking game. Why do you feel you need to remake it in Unity? I mean some of the bugs and lack of save game stuff keep it from being great, but I think it looks great as is.

Just wanting to get your thought process on it, as I know fans of TT would love to see you make something new. Especially with the art style of your board game.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
I have to say this again Craig Stern...TT is a pretty great looking game. Why do you feel you need to remake it in Unity?...

Thanks! Remaking TT in Unity isn't just about TT, though; my plan has always been to reuse and extend the TT engine to make a bunch of cool new games. However, the two big unresolvable issues with it (inventory swapping and progressive slowdown) make that impossible. So basically, remaking the engine better than it was is thus also an important step toward realizing some of the other cool ideas I have for new games. The other improvements are really just "since I'm remaking it, I might as well remake it better.":)

ColCol

Arcane
I have to say this again Craig Stern...TT is a pretty great looking game. Why do you feel you need to remake it in Unity?...

Thanks! Remaking TT in Unity isn't just about TT, though; my plan has always been to reuse and extend the TT engine to make a bunch of cool new games. However, the two big unresolvable issues with it (inventory swapping and progressive slowdown) make that impossible. So basically, remaking the engine better than it was is thus also an important step toward realizing some of the other cool ideas I have for new games. The other improvements are really just "since I'm remaking it, I might as well remake it better.":)

Are you still trying to work on that boardgame project?

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Are you still trying to work on that boardgame project?

Currently, I'm waiting to find out if Blackbox is still willing to handle shipping and fulfillment--if they are, then I'll most likely go ahead and make a second go of Kickstarter in March. If not...we'll see. I may end up looking to find a publisher that wants to take it if that happens. I have way too many games I want to make for me to waste a ton of time trying to thread the "physical goods logistics" needle.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com/games/357940/announcements/detail/630905717569050289

New engine in development!
28 FEBRUARY - SINISTER DESIGN
Hey folks! It's been a while since the last update, so I figured I'd let you all know what's going on with Telepath Tactics.

As some of you know, there are a couple of bugs in Telepath Tactics that I was never able to fully correct despite months of sustained effort. No number of changes to the code seemed to fix these things; I eventually came to the conclusion that I must have run into limitations in the underlying engine.

At this point, the rational business decision would have probably been to go, "Oh well, I guess those bugs are just there to stay," then move on to another project. But that's not my style. Instead, I've been slowly but surely rebuilding the entire engine from scratch in a brand-new development environment.

The Telepath Tactics engine is complex (and also I have a day job), so this has been taking me a while--but this new version of the engine already has some significant improvements: better UI, 3D representation of the battlefield, camera smoothing and zooming, better performance, and some cool new capabilities that I'm not ready to talk about juuuust yet. ;)

When all is said and done, I hope to use it to put out a special, improved edition of Telepath Tactics. If you're eager for more details, you can follow along with my progress here[sinisterdesign.net] on the Sinister Design forums.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com/games/357940/announcements/detail/630905717569050289

New engine in development!
28 FEBRUARY - SINISTER DESIGN
Hey folks! It's been a while since the last update, so I figured I'd let you all know what's going on with Telepath Tactics.

As some of you know, there are a couple of bugs in Telepath Tactics that I was never able to fully correct despite months of sustained effort. No number of changes to the code seemed to fix these things; I eventually came to the conclusion that I must have run into limitations in the underlying engine.

At this point, the rational business decision would have probably been to go, "Oh well, I guess those bugs are just there to stay," then move on to another project. But that's not my style. Instead, I've been slowly but surely rebuilding the entire engine from scratch in a brand-new development environment.

The Telepath Tactics engine is complex (and also I have a day job), so this has been taking me a while--but this new version of the engine already has some significant improvements: better UI, 3D representation of the battlefield, camera smoothing and zooming, better performance, and some cool new capabilities that I'm not ready to talk about juuuust yet. ;)

When all is said and done, I hope to use it to put out a special, improved edition of Telepath Tactics. If you're eager for more details, you can follow along with my progress here[sinisterdesign.net] on the Sinister Design forums.
If there is an option to save while in battle, I will buy it immediately.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Cashul. Its deterministic, so the only thing you can save/load are your own shitty choices.

There are some random elements in the game.
Is the AI's movement completely deterministic or does it have fuzziness?

He said he'll make new games, but I think a remake in the new engine could be a good starting point to test its functionality and has shorter time to market.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Cashul. Its deterministic

So is chess. Sooo casual.

I thought the reason people wanted the save is that some battles take >1 hr and you can't leave your game; also I think perhaps fear of crashing.

Yes, basically this. Battles do last a long time sometimes and having no in-game save feature was a big con for many. If he implements this and gets rid of the inventory bugs then I'm all for this redone game. Plus it gives him experience in order to make a quick sequel or another similar game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cashul. Its deterministic, so the only thing you can save/load are your own shitty choices.
Unfortunately, sometimes, I don't have the time to sit through long battles. Between work, gym and coaching a football team, I can't always get in the time I need. I usually play late at nights, but by then, my mind is usually fucked.

Lhynn

Arcane
I thought the reason people wanted the save is that some battles take >1 hr and you can't leave your game; also I think perhaps fear of crashing.
Oh, this game doesnt even have single save on quit? i can see how that could be a problem

Cashul. Its deterministic
So is chess. Sooo casual.
No, if you were less of an edgy shitposting small dicked sawyerist cuck and a possibly retarded douchebag, you may realize that theres a period there. But since you are an illiterate weasely idiot and a cocksucking noob you probably missed it. Or it could be that you are sucking up to craig, you sycophantic noob. I hope next time you dont get triggered that easily.

Ironmonk

Augur
I dropped this game long ago because of those bugs and crap UI, I'm probably going to play again when its released.

But the question is, this improved version will be free for owners of the original version? if not, it's going to be a full price or get a discount?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom