Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Technomancer - action-RPG by Spiders (Mars War Logs, Bound by Flame)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://thetechnomancer-game.com

https://af.gog.com/game/the_technomancer?as=1649904300

French developer Spiders, makers of Bound By Flame and Mars War Logs, recently announced a brand new RPG in development by the name of Technomancer. Revealed during a press event held by publisher Focus Home Interactive,
technomancerposter.jpg

This being a Mars: War Logs spinoff seems reasonable enough. I guess this was shown at the same event as Vampyr.

I'm a lazy prick so I copypsted my thread from NeoGAF.

You got a problem?
B70yXPuCIAAQAEF.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's also Vampyr by DONTROD
vampyr.jpg

The game is set just after World War One and players will take on the role of a doctor. He returns home while the Spanish Flu is going around, and is bitten by one of his patients. That bite transforms this doctor into a vampire.

Apparently the Y in the name relates to the choices in the game where the doctor faces moral quandaries as his doctor side tries to heal, while his vampire nature wants to kill and feed. The tag line for Vampyr is ‘Take blood. Save a life’. Choices won’t be clear cut with DONTNOD either.
Vampyr also sees DONTNOD trying to start up a second development team within the studio so more projects can be worked on. Vampyr is still in early development so no release date has yet been confirmed.

DONTNOD are currently in the process of releasing Life Is Strange.

Both Vampyr and Technomancer were shown at an event held by Focus Home Interactive. That's about as much as I personally know.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
wGdyp2q.jpg

Hello, Batman.

Apparently this is a sequel to Mars: War Logs, which was also developed by Spiders.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Preview: http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/201...per-announces-sci-fi-fantasy-rpg-technomancer

They say there are branching (urgh) narrative, factions, day/night cycle and bigger and open world than Mars: War Logs.

Technomancer was revealed at a Focus Interactive preview event yesterday. It seems like an attempt to smooth out some of the rough edges from War Logs, fixing some of the game's clunkier elements and adding in a few new features that should make adventuring a bit more varied and interesting.

You play as a rookie technomancer tasked with finding and securing artifacts and technology from lost Earth. Details on the main story were scarce, but a big part of it seems to involve dealing with the revelation that the technomancers' strange magical abilities are powered by mutation - mutants aren't popular on Mars to say the least, and enemy factions who discover your secret will be rubbing their hands in glee.

Quests are now more complex, branching affairs. There are six factions in the game (the junk-collecting, trade focused Americans and the underhanded, sneaky Thieves were mentioned at the event) and depending on how you choose to approach a mission you might earn favour with one at the expense of another.

Combined with new 'charisma' options for talking your way out of tricky situations, and a day/night cycle that puts time limits on certain missions (deserters you fail to capture in time may pop up later on to cause you trouble, for example), Spiders hope to avoid "go here and kill this" repetition. The game will also feature five different companions, who can leave the party if you antagonise them too much.

The skill tree has been broadened, with four distinct paths allowing you to focus on stealth kills, tank combat with a shield, a two-handed staff, and your strange Technomancer powers. You can switch between these combat styles during combat. Various skills can also be leveled up, allowing you to be more convincing out of combat, or heal more damage with medicine and first aid.

Spiders says they want to create a more open, reactive world this time around. Environments are bigger and filled with more detail, and there are lots more enemy types to hunt down.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's nice to know that no matter what happens, we can always count on there being more Euro-popamole.

(Actually, I'm lying, it's not nice. You'd think that they'd get a clue after D:OS sold like 15 times more copies than Risen 3 on Steam)

flushfire

Augur
Eh. I kind of liked Mars War Logs. Writing was alright, setting was interesting, had some delayed C&C, combat was ok-ish, better than Risen 2 and not much worse than TW2. It was somewhat challenging on hard, too. People ragged on the VA but IMO it's not that bad. Actually thought it had the potential to be good if it maintained its initial quality but it ended up similar to how Risen 1's 2nd half turned to shit only in Mars War Logs 2/3rds of the game sucks. Still would play the sequel though, esp if they remove respawning.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Eh. I kind of liked Mars War Logs. Writing was alright, setting was interesting, had some delayed C&C, combat was ok-ish, better than Risen 2 and not much worse than TW2. It was somewhat challenging on hard, too. People ragged on the VA but IMO it's not that bad. Actually thought it had the potential to be good if it maintained its initial quality but it ended up similar to how Risen 1's 2nd half turned to shit only in Mars War Logs 2/3rds of the game sucks. Still would play the sequel though, esp if they remove respawning.

I would brofist but the game is not that good. The combat is worse than both Risen 2 and TW2 but it's better than the abomination called "combat mechanics" from Remember Me.

The game did deliver on some aspects: non-linear game word and quests design which are decent (nothing exceptional but at least they were not retarded).

At times the game felt like a combination of Gothic and Riddick which is not bad. Unfortunately the ending came out of nowhere and it was obvious they rushed the last part of the game.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's nice to know that no matter what happens, we can always count on there being more Euro-popamole.

(Actually, I'm lying, it's not nice. You'd think that they'd get a clue after D:OS sold like 15 times more copies than Risen 3 on Steam)

Yeah. Right now there's a greater opportunity for this kind of companies to make money with smaller "old school" titles, than catering to the AAA crowd when they don't have not anywhere near the production values to appeal to that sort of audience.

My theory: they are basically Biodrones, and want to make this "inmersive, cinematic, emotional engaging experience" and they're not much into RPGs ("I play RPGs for the story and characters" and such)

Bonerbill

Augur

Get a clue about what? They're not allowed to release the game they like to make? I personally enjoyed Mars: War Logs, so I'm happy that their making a sequel to it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm just taking the piss. Plus they probably have a whole assembly line of these games lined up before they can even think of changing direction

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I don't think you have a clue about what you are whining.

15 years ago there were games like Dark Earth, The Devil Inside, Omikron, Nightmare Creatures, Ubik, The City of Lost Children, O.D.T, Drakan and so on.

The games were more diverse than today's "This is the New Shit" crap and they were made by smaller european studios with big hearts (especially french and british).

D:OS has zero appeal when compared to those rebellious games. Spiders and Dontnod might produce euro-popamole but I'm happy that they at least try something different.

Sometimes play something flawed but with potential is a breath of fresh air versus playing a polished turd (regardless of the copies sold by that turd).

Last edited:

Luckra

Educated
If they manage to balance ambition and resources this time around, it would be great.
Yeah. Right now there's a greater opportunity for this kind of companies to make money with smaller "old school" titles, than catering to the AAA crowd when they don't have not anywhere near the production values to appeal to that sort of audience.
Yes and no, Cyanide tried to do that with something called Confrontation...

flushfire

Augur
I would brofist but the game is not that good. The combat is worse than both Risen 2 and TW2
No. Few games have worse combat than Risen 2. I am talking mainly about melee btw. It's unresponsive and you can forget about timing. Even just the animations and hit feedback suck. Maybe you are remembering combat in Risen 1 instead. But Mars War Logs combat is definitely not worse than Risen 2's.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I know I'll end playing both this and Vampyr because I can't help myself. Fuck it, might as well go along with it. Mars was tolerable enough.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm reasonably confident European ware-shovelers are going to shovelware no matter what genre they're doing. :P

Explorerbc

Arcane
Ok, I know a lot of us here enjoy this kind of glorious euro shovelware so bring it on.

Mars War Logs was pretty meh. Honestly what bothered me the most was the corridor map design. The only thing worse than walking on a straight line, is to have to go back and forth on it multiple times.

If they say they will improve that and bring an open world, that's good news. At least they try different settings than magic elves and shit.

Old Hans

Arcane
no way would I trust these guys with an open world. It would be a total disaster.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

1. They stick to what they know.
2. These games are multi-platform, so the majority of sales comes from consoles (especially full-priced sales).
3. They cannot afford Divinity-like 5-year development time.

Trip81

Novice
i like the spiderweb games. yeah these games am mediocre at its best but i think they could improve. their storys are very very good at least in my opinion. Game of thrones had awesome story telling. the really bad rpg gameplay and the lack of different locartions are the weakest points until now.who knows maybe the next games or the games after them will become absolut top notch games. styx was a big improvement in my eyes.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
i like the spiderweb games. yeah these games am mediocre at its best but i think they could improve. their storys are very very good at least in my opinion. Game of thrones had awesome story telling. the really bad rpg gameplay and the lack of different locartions are the weakest points until now.who knows maybe the next games or the games after them will become absolut top notch games. styx was a big improvement in my eyes.
Game of Thrones indeed has awesome storytelling, but it wasn't made by Spiders (Spiderweb is the Jeff Vogel's developer, the ones behind Geneforge, Exile, Avernum...etc), it was made by Cyanide Studios (Styx was also made by Cyanide)

Trip81

Novice
Game of Thrones indeed has awesome storytelling, but it wasn't made by Spiders (Spiderweb is the Jeff Vogel's developer, the ones behind Geneforge, Exile, Avernum...etc), it was made by Cyanide Studios (Styx was also made by Cyanide)
yeah you are right with spiderweb. of course i meant spiders . sorry about that. but the rest confuses me. Game of Thrones had the exact same combat as orcs vs humans and Mars Logs. I was absolute sure it was made by the same studio. but it isn't wow. thx for helping me out :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom