Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Technomancer - action-RPG by Spiders (Mars War Logs, Bound by Flame)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Except my guess would be he would like to kill every bandit that asks him for his money.

Lambach

Arcane
As far as obviously low-budget vapourware goes, this stuff's actually not half bad. Writing is easily above FO3's level, combat is entertaining enough and there's plenty of customization available, the overall plot isn't total shit, there's tons of content etc.

Honestly, I'm liking this a great deal more than both Dragon Ages after Origins. I'd even argue the combat is better than in Mass Effect 2. It's fucking amazing how some no-name team with a small fraction of Bioware's budget can make a more enjoyable Bioware-ish game than Bioware themselves.

Modron

Arcane
Honestly, I'm liking this a great deal more than both Dragon Ages after Origins. I'd even argue the combat is better than in Mass Effect 2. It's fucking amazing how some no-name team with a small fraction of Bioware's budget can make a more enjoyable Bioware-ish game than Bioware themselves.

A, it's not really surprising since only small no name teams and driven individuals are the only ones outside of Bioware, Bethesda, and Japan that even try to make RPGs. And B, not surprising that anyone can make a more enjoyable game than Bioware (DA: I was the equivalent of watching paint dry and I couldn't even finish watching a small portion of RK47's Lets Play despite some wise choices in music edits).

Glad to hear it's enjoyable, I have always been somewhat disappointed with Spiders' games, especially so with OOaM which borrowed heavily from Cyanide's Game of Thrones but still managed to cut out the goodness and water down the remainder of what made that game awesome. Still Bound by Flame was a marked improvement on their previous efforts so I hope Spiders continues that progress.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I've put 7 hours in the game the entire experience was dull: awful combat, weak quests*, crazy backtracking, re-spawning mobs, confusing map**, no char respec, useless crafting/trading*** and overall not a lot of appealing stuff.

In addition the game offers: consolitis, bad controls, last-gen visuals, inconsistent voice-overs and so on.

* The writing is simply not on par with F3:NV. Also I finished at least 2 quests which the game refuses to acknowledge.

** No North-West-South-East directions. Worse than the map is the level design which forces you to waste time going around the map.

*** Gear differences are insignificant either you craft or you buy stuff. Perhaps I will find some better equipment in the future but for now, I only find garbage.

Perhaps my memory is bad but I feel like Mars: WL was better than this. I don't know. I don't feel like continuing.

The game got 4.9 from IGN. They are on to something.

Lhynn

Arcane
Shit video, as always. Someone tell him to play in easy or cheat, hes awful at games.

PirateScum

Augur
Game is typical Spiders trash, but has it's charm imo. I find it a big improvement to Mars: War Logs in every regard.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
no char respec

Is the game built so badly that you absolutely need shit like that?

Not really. I just don't like the idea that I have to re-start the game if I want to try another build. On the other hand, all builds are the same in this game.

So yeah, it don't really need that shit.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Seems like Witcher 2 combat gameplay + Risen 3 writing + low budget = Why? Just why? There are better games to ape Spiders.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The game is bad enough to make risen 3 look like a masterpiece.

The writing and characters are just retarded on so many levels.

Lhynn

Arcane
What is up with the main hub of this game? its huge and it has like 6 npcs.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
And yet other sites seem to be giving a more positive take on the game.
http://www.gamespew.com/2016/07/technomancer-review/

Running at somewhere between 20 to 40 hours depending on how involved you get with its wealth of side content, The Technomancer is strangely captivating should you make it past its flaky first few hours. Like Spiders’ previous forays into the genre; Bound by Flame, Of Orcs and Men and Mars: War Logs, it’s a game riddled with troubling issues, but those who persist and can see past them will discover that none are crippling enough to ruin the heart of what is otherwise a truly enjoyable adventure. It may not quite have the polish you’d expect of a full price title, yet I doubt it was made with the gargantuan budget available for games of a similar scope by larger developers. As the videogame equivalent of a cult B-movie then, I can safely state that The Technomancer has provided me with more hours of fun than many of the so-called blockbuster releases I’ve played in the last couple of years.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
And yet other sites seem to be giving a more positive take on the game.
http://www.gamespew.com/2016/07/technomancer-review/

Running at somewhere between 20 to 40 hours depending on how involved you get with its wealth of side content, The Technomancer is strangely captivating should you make it past its flaky first few hours. Like Spiders’ previous forays into the genre; Bound by Flame, Of Orcs and Men and Mars: War Logs, it’s a game riddled with troubling issues, but those who persist and can see past them will discover that none are crippling enough to ruin the heart of what is otherwise a truly enjoyable adventure. It may not quite have the polish you’d expect of a full price title, yet I doubt it was made with the gargantuan budget available for games of a similar scope by larger developers. As the videogame equivalent of a cult B-movie then, I can safely state that The Technomancer has provided me with more hours of fun than many of the so-called blockbuster releases I’ve played in the last couple of years.

It's hidden in plain sight. The entire game is designed to waste player's time as much as possible.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Rage quit. Uninstall and delete.

I had to backtrack an area 5+ times .. and it just doesn't stop. Fucking garbage. The backtracking and the trash mobs in this game put both Deep Caverns and Deep Roads to shame.

The story goes full retard towards the end and I simply lost it. I couldn't care less about any of these cardboard characters. Awful edgy writing. There is no fun as in Of Orcs and Men.

Combat doesn't get any better by leveling up. In fact it remains the same dull experience for the entire play-through. Awful. Crafting system is useless. Controls are bad.

This is not a game. It's an abomination.

jungl

Augur
i thought people were pathetic when i heard them having trouble with this games difficulty then I remembered i played through bound by flame on hard.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
i thought people were pathetic when i heard them having trouble with this games difficulty then I remembered i played through bound by flame on hard.

You seem confused. That's not an achievement, it's more like going full retard.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I remember in bound by flame where skeleton archers could take a bigger pounding then the main character,and those were just the archers.
Hp bloat does not make souls or difficult combat,just more tedious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom