Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Technomancer - action-RPG by Spiders (Mars War Logs, Bound by Flame)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems like this game has flopped pretty badly. Steam Spy only shows around 30K copies sold, which would mean less than $1M income for the publisher, and the game looks like it cost $10M+ to make.

It is currently 33% off on Steam, if someone is interested.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/338390/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems like this game has flopped pretty badly. Steam Spy only shows around 30K copies sold, which would mean less than $1M income for the publisher, and the game looks like it cost $10M+ to make.

It's a console game

Heretic

Cipher
For that price I'm going to give it a try. I have a soft spot for Spiders since Of Orcs and Men - I loved the writing. The gameplay, on the other hand...

jungl

Augur
Game is a complete shit. The repetitive gameplay will make you want to watch paint dry instead. Orcs and men is a lot better game.

Heretic

Cipher
I'm back just to give my personal update.

The Technomancer is shit. It's an inferior clone of Mass Effect (yeah) and it's exactly the same game as all the previous Spiders' games.
I will never look forward to a Spiders game anymore and I won't ever give them the benefit of doubt.
They are a lazy developer who squanders their time and money on superficial gameplay systems and they make the same... fucking... mistakes in all their games, over and over again.

Falksi

Arcane
Not seen this mentioned yet since joining here.

Have to say, it's not only my fave RPG on the PS4 so far, but also my fave game on that system too (yes I much prefered it to The Witcher 3.)

Think playing as a mage-rogue is great fun combat wise, and that the atmosphere is brilliant all round. Definitely a few dialogue issues, backtracking is a pain & it lack polish, but a hidden gem for me and one that everyone ought to give a go. Personally I loved it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
played it, been around 20 hours and visited the second city. it's surprisingly good. spiders always have above average writing and some ideas that's enjoyable, and i think they are better than post DA:O bioware. watching them grow as a developer is very interesting. there is always a leap in quality in each of their game. there are still alot of flaws in technomancer. the combat is pretty repetitive, some of the quest pacing felt very awkward, and the quests are sometimes designed too much with map marker in mind.

but yeah, from orcs and men (strong characters, especially the main character) kinda shit gameplay, but cool unique setting that eventually became styx games (i know styx game are prequels basically), then bound by flame. weaker setting and characters than styx, a bit better gameplay but quite cool idea with the demon thing. technomancer is alot better than orcs and men and bound by flame. there are always room for improvement, but they are steadily rising in quality in each iteration. i never played mars war log but the technomancer is quite impressive so far.

alot of C&C, sidequests are interesting, the characters are strong, and the writing are pretty good. B-movie charm indeed. if this is where they are going Greedfall is gonna be a good game.

Codex Year of the Donut
played it, been around 20 hours and visited the second city. it's surprisingly good. spiders always have above average writing and some ideas that's enjoyable, and i think they are better than post DA:O bioware. watching them grow as a developer is very interesting. there is always a leap in quality in each of their game. there are still alot of flaws in technomancer. the combat is pretty repetitive, some of the quest pacing felt very awkward, and the quests are sometimes designed too much with map marker in mind.

but yeah, from orcs and men (strong characters, especially the main character) kinda shit gameplay, but cool unique setting that eventually became styx games (i know styx game are prequels basically), then bound by flame. weaker setting and characters than styx, a bit better gameplay but quite cool idea with the demon thing. technomancer is alot better than orcs and men and bound by flame. there are always room for improvement, but they are steadily rising in quality in each iteration. i never played mars war log but the technomancer is quite impressive so far.

alot of C&C, sidequests are interesting, the characters are strong, and the writing are pretty good. B-movie charm indeed. if this is where they are going Greedfall is gonna be a good game.
Chronologically, Mars: War Logs happens at the same time as Technomancer. If you like Technomancer it's worth playing just for the added story/a few familiar faces. It's short — took me 7 hours to beat it.
Technomancer is one of the games I always recommend because I barely see anyone talk about it. Underrated gem, the only part I disliked was the backtracking, probably due to budget and time constraints I guess.

Barbalos

Savant
I tried Technomancer, but it didn't like my 5.1 speakers (voices come from the wrong location, some sounds are super low volume) and apparently others have the same problem. I did read that setting your speakers to stereo instead fixes it. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Johnny Fortune

Barely Literate
Who played it, what is your opinion about it guys?

So I've completed the game, took me about 25 hours.

There are parts of the game that are pretty nice. Personally, I loved the combat, the setting, the music, and the atmosphere. The dialogues between some of the characters are awesome as well (such as the master and his students, the way he introduces you to the world, and the scarcity of life). The storyline and the whole premise of the world are interesting together with a few companions that hold well.

The main bad part is backtracking. You constantly need to return to the first city you start in, Ophir, where all the enemies getting respawned. Man...

I think this game reminds me of one of my most favorite games of all time - LBA 2. The different stances, that backtracking to the same environments, something in the storytelling, maybe some Spiders employees are from Adeline? Both are (were) French studios.

If you looking for a nice RPG experience, worth the few bucks it costs now imho (maximum - you can always click on quit).

Johnny Fortune

Barely Literate
Yeah, mentioned it in the end of the sentence :) I got pretty annoyed with all the mobs I had to kill again and again.

Johnny Fortune

Barely Literate
Are they taking a bit different genre with Steelrising, no? More action, souls-like oriented?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom