Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Wadjet Eye Technobabylon by Wadjet Eye

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Explorerbc, Jan 9, 2015.

1. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Anthedon Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Considering the Siege of Dragonspear thread is approaching 150 pages it's almost sad this one only has six. Different genre, better implementation of the character, abuse of old franchise by Beamdog, etc. But still, where's all the butthurt?

^ Top  
  3. Ringhausen Scholar

Ringhausen
    Parrots:
    Uh oh.. I generally liked the game youknow.

^ Top  
  4. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    This is great. :lol:

^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    It was 75% off on GOG two months ago.

^ Top  
  7. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    GOG does not help to raise my steamcount, FFS.

Show Spoiler
    Also the game was good enough to warrant the release price, you misers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Finally got around to this.

I thought the worldbuilding was quite rich and detailed, but at the expense of the story. Technobabylon has this ambitious scope with all sorts of high level SF concepts like seamless virtual reality, consciousness transfer, mind control malware, AI singularity, grey goo nanobots, organic androids indistinguishable from humans... Except it doesn't actually use any of it in the story. The whole time, from the moment in the 2nd chapter when a "mindjacker" who can steal (and presumably manipulate) memories is mentioned, I was primed for an unreliable narrator! For antagonists who were actually mind-control/memory-manipulated puppets for someone else's agenda! For protagonists that were really just in a VR simulation! For protagonists that were not even human at all but actually replicants! But none of this actually happened. It's like seeing Chekov's entire gun collection on display and not getting the payoff in act 3.

Show Spoiler

I was even convinced at one point that Regis had been the one who had killed his wife in a rage and framed Baxter (which explains Baxter's revenge madness better than mere career sabotage), and simply had his memories altered by Central, who was the true villain and manipulator behind the scenes. Central was the one directing the mindjacker to create the gestalt which she would absorb to grow stronger, or overcome her "three laws" restrictions, or whatever.

The game as a game itself suffers from this ambitious scope because it's full of choices that don't have consequences. Save the bomber, kill the bomber, lie or tell the truth, do things by the book or be a cowboy, choose one evil over another... None of that matters. I thought there would be a different ending for each faction (not just 2), plus a morality score or relationship meter that dictated if the new CEL rookie was Latha or the maid android. Don't get me wrong, I don't think those are necessary, but it felt like the game was incomplete and those missing parts were intended to be there originally but for whatever reason got shelved.

On the social justice angle: I actually thought that it was kinda offensive in its stereotypes all around. It's the effeminate Asian guy who gets the sex change and is thrown out by his folks, it's the Asian who is the tech support, it's the Arab who is the terrorist, it's the Indian who lives on welfare, it's the Black guy who is a corrupt pol... So I see it as EEOC compliant, equal opportunity offensive.

Verdict: Good adventure with excellent presentation and rich setting, but disappointing story and gameplay.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    I thought the child suicide bomber was a white Texan?

^ Top  
  11. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Here's another missed opportunity with the social justice angle. The player discovers early on that the sidekick is a MtF trans but he never realized, since future technology. Later in the game, there is a puzzle where you explore a crime scene for evidence and use that to eliminate suspects from the pool. One piece of evidence is that the culprit has XY chromosome. It would have been very clever puzzle design, and a huge validation of the social justice message, if the game had allowed for wrong answers if the player incorrectly eliminated a trans based on that piece of evidence. But that didn't happen.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. DaveGilbert Wadjet Eye Games Developer

DaveGilbert
    Parrots:
    I don't usually leap in to defend our own work, but I will in this case. This was brought up during production. It's established that the surgical procedure in the game changes you at the genetic/cellular level, so it wouldn't have made a difference.

Back to lurking. As you were.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    That's precisely the sort of thing I mean when I wrote in my review that Technobabylon fails to live up to its own ambitions with all its high level SF concepts cooking in the pot. Having advanced technology indistinguishable from magic is perfectly fine if the author takes it seriously enough to see it through to the logical conclusions. But he didn't. If you're going to have that level of transhumanism in society, where are all the transhumans? Why is there imperfection, aging and death? You start to see that this sort of worldbuilding is incompatible with conventional storytelling.

^ Top  
  14. I'm With Her Morgoth for prison Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    http://technocratgames.blogspot.co.at/2017/02/technobabylon-2-evolutionary-process.html

Oh my, yes!

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
  16. Make America Great Again Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    The 3d looks suspect, and I don't think it lends itself well to adventure games - more of a liability than an asset. Still, the author has a good track record.

Don't screw it up. :argh:

^ Top  
  17. I'm With Her Morgoth for prison Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    That's only experimentation, read the follow-up diaries. James will likely settle with 3D-created art assets rendered to 2D backgrounds. He even found a Blender plugin that can convert animated characters into sprite animations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, this will be the new player character: Nzoka, a Kenyan ex-soldier:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. HoboForEternity Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    there will be a sequel? aw yiz

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. RuySan Augur

RuySan
    Parrots:
    Finished this one yesterday and liked it very much. Not as good as primordia but better than other wadjet eye games.

The puzzle difficulty was right for the most part, but got stuck right in the last few puzzles, specially because I didn't notice there was an extra floor in the last elevator.

Liked the characters, and the setting was familiar but having a few twists to not feel tired (it's a welfare state and not a neo-liberal dystopia, and that's refreshing even for a leftie commie like me).

^ Top  
  20. Jools Eater of Apples Patron

Jools
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Have you played Shardlight? If so, how does this one compare? TB has been sitting in my Steam Library for ages...

^ Top  
  21. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    As far as puzzles go, Technobabylon has lots of cool cyberpunk hacking stuff to manipulate, and a neat personality change mechanic. Some puzzles even have multiple solutions. Shardlight is much more traditional puzzle design.

Story-wise, Technobabylon and Shardlight are polar opposites. TB is too ambitious for its own coherence, while Shardlight is straightforward to a fault.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Shardlight looks interesting, and it's post-apocalyptic which is always good, but I've heard tell that a decent chunk of the puzzles suffer from Old Man Murray Syndrome.

^ Top  
  23. Jools Eater of Apples Patron

Jools
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Not sure about that syndrome, which I admit being ignorant about, but sure as hell the puzzles are piss-easy and the plot feels a bi shaky at times, especially towards the end. Still, I did quite enjoy the game's visuals, atmosphere, and writing. It is a very short game, I finished it in 6 hours so that's what you can expect to have wasted if you end up not liking it.

^ Top  
  24. RuySan Augur

RuySan
    Parrots:
    If it's piss easy it probably doesn't suffer from the old man Murray syndrome.

Technobabylon had a borderline old Murray moment with the glowing fish puzzle, but it wasn't too bad

^ Top  
  25. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Overall, WEG's in-house titles aim for straightforward and predictable puzzles to avert the problem you discuss, so I don't think you'll find it frustrating. Everything I've read suggests that no one found the puzzles an obstacle, which can be a plus or a minus depending on your tastes.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)